Author Topic: Impossible to delete a file on my Buffalo LinkStation NAS  (Read 16966 times)

CuiZinieR

• Calf
Impossible to delete a file on my Buffalo LinkStation NAS
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:18 AM »

NAS Model: LS-WX2.0TL/R1
Firmware: 1.32
No restrictions on shared folders
Shared folder support: Windows & Apple
LAN connection: through 1 router, Ethernet cables

Hi!

I can't delete one file on my NAS, I get this error message:

The file seems to be locked and there's no way to delete it...
I tried this:
- Copy the file in another folder in the same shared folder and delete it => FAIL
- Cut the file in another folder in the same shared folder and delete it => FAIL to delete both the source and the target file
- Copy the file in another shared folder and delete it => FAIL
- Cut the file in another shared folder and delete it => FAIL to delete both the source and the target file
- Try the same operations after several NAS & Windows reboots => FAIL
- Try the same operations after connecting directly the NAS to the PC, without the router => FAIL

The only solution was to copy the content (without the locked file) of the shared folder to another shared folder, then delete the shared folder (where the locked file is), then recreate the shared folder, then copy again the content you've just backed up in it.

Remarks:

1/ In Windows, when deleting the file, it takes a long time to get the pop-up windows asking you whether you want to delete the file permanently. After you click "Yes", it takes a long time to get the error message saying you can't delete. Moreover, your CPU sometimes becomes overused (100% in Task Manager) because the process explorer.exe gets crazy... You must kill the process and launch it again to fix the problem.

2/ The problem of locked files often appears when you did a file transfer and it failed because of a network disconnection. Hence, the file which were copying at that time on your NAS is present but corrupted, and sometimes locked...

3/ When a file is corrupted on the NAS and you try to copy the same file (overwriting) from you PC to the NAS, it doesn't work, Windows isn't able to delete the target file. You must manually delete the corrupted file on the NAS, then copy the file again. This only works when the corrupted file isn't locked for deletion of course...

Suggestions:

Regarding my own experience and the other posts about the same issue on this forum, why hasn't Buffalo come up with a fix to this really really really annoying problem? 
For example, why not being able to browse the NAS data through the web admin interface and force a deletion? Can't we think about a Java interface for example, which would allow to browse these data?

Best Regards.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Impossible to delete a file on my Buffalo LinkStation NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »

Suggestions: 

Regarding the firmware, bug fixes are usually on a regional basis (I will see if we can get this reported over to China) and therefore complaining on our US forum is kind of a moot point.  Secondly, the problem reported is based off of a few isolated incidents that our users have reported to us, whether it is a firmware issue, OS issue or user issue is something that can be difficult to determine.  Furthermore, I'm not certain if the firmware you're running is the latest available in China and if 1.32 is the latest then a firmware fix is most likely on the way if this problem has been reported in a large quantity in your region.  In the meantime, I would recommend trying a force firmware update and re-initialization of the NAS settings afterward and see if this helps the problem.  Thank you for your thorough, informative and concise post.  Hopefully, the problem will be solved quickly with these steps but if not please post back.

Edit: Are you accessing the NAS by IP address or NetBIOS name?

CuiZinieR

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »

Hi Dustrega!

Thx a lot for your reply.

First of all, let me add some precision about my NAS model. In fact, I bought my NAS in Japan, not in China. My firmware is the Japanese one since I downloaded it from the JP Buffalo website. The reason why I complain on the US forum is simple: I don't speak Japanese... I came to the US forum because people speak English and it is rather dynamic.

I'd like to take advantage of my situation to point out a problem: you don't have any international support website. Therefore, since your firmware versions are localized depending on region, how can someone who buys a product in Japan but doesn't speak any Japanese get any support? You can't go to the JP website since you don't understand a **bleep**, you can only go to other English spoken countries' website to get the support... :-( And for me, to be able to get the JP firmware on the JP website was really a hassle! Everything written in Japanese. Even once you had download the .exe  for the firmware installation, the wizard isn't in English and you have unreadable strange characters instead of proper JP characters so you just pray that the update goes smoothly...

It would be really better if you had a common English (since it's the only international language) international support website where all the firmwares for all versions of NAS in the world would be available. Now it's too complicated... Asus, for example, has a global English support site for worldwide: http://support.asus.com/ . Or if not, the JP site should have an English version. But I know by experience that when there's an English version of a site of a non English spoken country, it's seldom up to date compare to the local language version of the website.

Are you able to tell me whether 1.32 is the latest firmware version for my NAS?

Regarding your suggestions, since the incident I haven't encountered again the issue, I will let it as it is. If the issue occurs again, I can have a try. I wanted, with my post, to let people aware of the problem and to know if there was another solution but apparently no.

I access my NAS usually by NetBIOS name but for my test, I used the IP address to be sure that the problem wasn't related with the NetBIOS name.

Best Regards.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:32 AM »

A reminder to all who use these forums:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Guidelines-and-more/Forums-are-USA-Canada-based/td-p/7749

These are the USA/Canada forums, not international forums. We will try to help those in other countries that can write English, but we may not have the same products and firmwares from other countries and may never have encountered the issues you are experiencing. It's best to contact the support team of the country where the unit was purchased.

We will forward your concerns to the country of origin for your product, as a second source for their support to know about issues. The first source is the customer contacting the appropriate support team in country of origin.

If you buy a product in another country, the language of the product is probably of that country and the language used on the box, is a pretty strong indicator of the language used for the GUI. Don't expect the FW to be in English when buying a product in Spain, Japan, Korea, etc.

Products purchased in other countries, even if they have the same product number as a product in the USA, may have different hardware and changing the FW to a USA firmware may brick your unit, void your warranty, and is done with the customer's responsibility only (if there is an English language FW available for that product). Try using the forums to find someone in the same country that does speak and read the language of the country and ask them nicely to translate the GUI or send you screenshots with translated language. Several people have done this already on these forums.

CuiZinieR

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »

Hi drmemory!

Concerning my NAS bought in Japan, it was written in JP and EN on the box and don't worry, the firmware itself, is in English. I have my web interface in English since you can choose the language. Howvever, the JP website which is the place to get my firmware for my product isn't in English and when you download the firmware from this website, the installer wizard isn't in English (As I said in my previous post, the wizard language should be in JP but I have unreadable buggy characters instead, even if my Windows 7 can read JP characters). Therefore, it makes all the process really difficult for a non JP speaker...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:40 PM »

We traced your IP to China hence why I was on that conclusion.  Since the unit was purchased in Japan, the firmware from Japan is the only one that will work with that unit.  Any other methods will void the warranty which we don't condone.  Furthermore, I would recommend if you don't speak or read Japanese to not buy the Japanese version of the product then.  It seems as if you didn't fully understand that we're not international support and that the wizard being in Japanese is something that is beyond our control.  In short, this is something that cannot be helped.

CuiZinieR

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:11:17 AM »

I live in China and I really wanted a Buffalo NAS. The thing is I don't read neither Chinese (can speak a little bit) nor Japanese. In China, the Buffalo NAS are overpriced that's why I bought one in Japan, when I was on trip there.

Besides, I didn't know there were specific firmware version depending on region, involving a unique non English language. Since I work in IT, to me, everything regarding technical stuff should be in English first, the international language and the language in IT, then eventually translated into another language. I work in IT in Shanghai and all our environment is in English...

So in my position, what would you have done if you really wanted a Buffalo NAS but have no way to get a US version?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »

You make a valid point and I understand your position.  I wish that there was a way to implement an English firmware on those devices, but I am bound by the rules and regulations of this forum.  I can't make a suggestion that would "brick" your unit, otherwise I would be held responsible for my words and actions.  In the future, to answer your question I would explore the specifications and limitations of the device before purchase.  In closing, we can't really assume that all IT is in English anymore as it has quickly become just as diverse as the nationalities across the planet.  I wish that I could offer a better solution at this point, but I have no other alternatives available to me.  I am truly sorry.

CuiZinieR

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »

I agree with exploring "the specifications and limitations of the device before purchase", it's something I should have done before. From now on, I'll be really careful with the device I buy. If it's a device which is only available in China or Japan for example, I won't purchase it. But sometimes, you have some worldwide models so you can go on US websites to find the drivers or firmwares even if the model hasn't been purchased in US.

I just want to make a remark: why translating the box of the NAS in English (It was written in JP and EN) if there's no English support for this device? If the box was entirely in Japanese, I wouldn't probably have purchased it... Maybe your marketing strategy needs to be review. If the model is sold worldwide, I can understand. If it's only in Japan, I can't...

I understand your position and I understand that I should only use JP firmware. I already appreciate that you and your colleagues answer to me and try to help me even if I have a JP product. I'm not asking for miracle, just for help and making suggestions :-).

So far, my NAS is working fine so no need to worry. In the future, if I want to upgrade my firmware or have a problem, I'll ask for help. Now, I'm really reluctant to upgrade my firmware since my NAS works well and it would be complicated to get help in case of issue...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »

CuiZinieR wrote:

I agree with exploring "the specifications and limitations of the device before purchase", it's something I should have done before. From now on, I'll be really careful with the device I buy. If it's a device which is only available in China or Japan for example, I won't purchase it. But sometimes, you have some worldwide models so you can go on US websites to find the drivers or firmwares even if the model hasn't been purchased in US.

I just want to make a remark: why translating the box of the NAS in English (It was written in JP and EN) if there's no English support for this device? If the box was entirely in Japanese, I wouldn't probably have purchased it... Maybe your marketing strategy needs to be review. If the model is sold worldwide, I can understand. If it's only in Japan, I can't...

I understand your position and I understand that I should only use JP firmware. I already appreciate that you and your colleagues answer to me and try to help me even if I have a JP product. I'm not asking for miracle, just for help and making suggestions :-).

So far, my NAS is working fine so no need to worry. In the future, if I want to upgrade my firmware or have a problem, I'll ask for help. Now, I'm really reluctant to upgrade my firmware since my NAS works well and it would be complicated to get help in case of issue...

Thank you for your mature and understanding acceptance of my advice.  The only thing is, what I have highlighted in red, we don't review Japan's marketing strategy and they don't review ours.  We're two separate entities that don't tie into each other except in name.  Bottom line is we are the US/Canada branch of Buffalo-USA and Japan is Buffalo-Japan.  If your NAS is working fine, then the general motto I follow is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."  Of course if a bug occurs we recommend a firmware update and of course I understand your concern.  Thank you for your posting and understanding.  Do feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

mausingh

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 02:08:00 AM »
This problem is well known and finally I found solution for it: http://pathtoodeep.com

phpgen

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »

If u find impossible to delete files try this tool

http://longpathtool.com/

I also had this same error but i found my fix with this aswesome tool.

rony9

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »

thanks a lot

this helped me to fix my problem

technext

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

You can use this.

http://LongPathTool.com

Kraftsims

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »

I too am trying to delete a file (not a folder) inside the NAS. It is a 217.12 GB file. I use the latest mac book pro with the lastest software updates.

Why the NaS won't delete a file boggles my mind. It would be the same (to me) as if asking if the NAS could store a file.

Storing and deleting should be basic straightforward functions of any NAS, as that IS the function and purpose of buying this product.

I have read the above comments. Way over my head. I don't wan to get into the techno side of it all. I want it to work like the Drobo I have and the Pegasus I have work: "move to trash." Boom, it's done.

What am I missing here?

Thanks