Author Topic: LS-CHL 2TB Blinking Blue after firmware update.  (Read 5946 times)

rincon_her

• Calf
LS-CHL 2TB Blinking Blue after firmware update.
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »

Hi all. I live in Colombia. I bought my linkstation live last week in USA, but I cant return the device to RMA or change product, so this is the reason that I post here.

I configure my LS-CHL as the guide says, and when it was configured, appears a message that LS needs to update to support time-machine for Lion. I decided to update. It takes a long to download the firmware and after the upgrade, the unit was blinking yellow. I decide to download the update program and try to restore the firmware. The error that apperas on yellow was i25. After that the program starts, format drive, transfer firmware and finally shows connectity error with NAS. The NAS restarts, and after that, the LS is blinking blue, then shows E06 blinking red, and when I push function button, starts to blinking blue. I try the TFTP boot procedure, in cmd windows shows "Block served" but the NAS always is blinking blue, and i can't access to try firmware update.

Could you help me? I live in Colombia, and I can't use warranty or RMA. Sorry for my english too.

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: LS-CHL 2TB Blinking Blue after firmware update.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »

I think you are using a wrong TFTP boot file.

Try this one (not official from Buffalo).

http://download.discountnetz.com/tftp-boot-recovery/tftp_1.41_kirkwood.zip?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »

I had the same problem as you, do as Escher said and download the other ftp. Follow these instructions that were given to me by the Buffalo God AKA Davo. It worked perfect after that.

Do the entire thing on a direct connection so: Boot the Linkstation up and you will see the error light will start to flash in a pattern of 6 times. First of all please download all needed files : • Firmware: 1.54 • NAS Navigator: • TFTP Image: Once done connect the Linkstation directly to your PC with an Ethernet cable, set a static IP address on your PC by doing the following: Click Start -> All Programs -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Centre -> Select Change adapter settings on the left -> right click the Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol ver.4(TCP/IPv4) -> Use the following IP address: IP address: 192.168.11.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Leave the Default Gateway and DNS blank and click OK -> OK. Turn off any wireless adaptor you may have running on your PC and deactivate all antivirus and firewall software (including the Windows firewall) Run the "TFTP Boot.exe" file, this will open a blank screen, once it is stuck at "Accepting Requests" press the Function button on the Linkstation for 2 - 3 seconds so that the red error light will change to flashing blue. After a couple of minutes you should see two sets of blocks being passed on the TFTP boot loader, once this happens wait for the power light to go solid blue, open the Nas Navigator software, it will ask you if you want to automatically change the time and IP address, click NO. The Nas Navigator will open, you will notice the Linkstations IP address will of change to something like: 169.254.a.b and it will be reported as being in "EM Mode" We will now need to match the range on the PC to successfully reinstall the firmware. Click Start -> All Programs -> Network Connections -> right click the Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Use the following IP address: IP address: 169.254.a.b Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 (Please note: with settings the IP address on the PC "a" needs to be the same number as the Linkstations IP address and "b" needs to be the same as the Linkstation but incremented by 1.EG: If the Linkstations is IP 169.254.105.212 then set the PC to 169.254.105.213) Click OK -> OK. Unzip the 1.54 firmware you downloaded earlier to your desktop. Double click on the "LSUpdater.exe" file a Window will appear stating the units IP Address, Hostname etc. Click "Update" and this should start the firmware transfer; the process should take no more than 10 - 15 minutes. Once the firmware transfer has started, if the unit reverts back to the power LED flashing 6 times, repeat the TFTP process above, once the TFTP loader has passed the two sets of blocks the Linkstations LED should start flashing orange (I25, firmware updating) if this is the case leave the unit for up to 4 hours to complete the internal update. ?

hlt4668

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »

Thanks very much for the instructions, Escher and Unhappy09.  These contributed to getting my LS-CH500L-EU working again after i flashed North American firmware onto it.

Swell

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hope its ok to bring this thread back to life!

I'm installing a new hard drive into a LS-CH1.0TL and don't have the original drive to copy over.  I've followed the instructions as posted by Unhappy09 and have successfully reached the stage of seeting a static IP address, running TFTP boot recovery and getting it to pass the 2 sets of blocks to the bootloader, but the blue light on the LS remains flashing blue and won't go solid.

I haven't partitioned or set the file system of the hard drive.  It's a 1TB with one big partition formatted to NTFS.  Its a WD10EVCS 'Green Power' drive.  There's no 'Hard drive not present' LED error so I presume that means it accepts the hard drive.  Should the LS boot into EM just from the LS itself, or does it need the hard drive to be set up in some way?  Does it need to copy any files to the hard drive which it isn't able to do because its not set up correctly?

I hope all that makes sense!  Any help woudl be very much appreciated.

Roger

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »

Do not format the drive to NTFS. It needs to be unallocated. Even if someone has gotten the device to work with it formated in NTFS, it's more likely going to work with the drive being unallocated.

Swell

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »

Thanks - I'll do that.

Also, I resolved the blinking blue light by using the Kirkwood bootloader as in the link in the earlier post, and below:

http://download.discountnetz.com/tftp-boot-recovery/tftp_1.41_kirkwood.zip?

So I've now managed to boot to EM and it's picked up by NAS Navigator.

Swell

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »

As in my previous post, the LS is now in EM mode and is detected by NAS Navigator.  However....I can't get the updater to work.  I've downloaded LS-CHL_fw1.12.zip and LS-CHL FW_1.07.zip and neither is able to detect the LS. The LS IP address is 169.254.58.61and I've set a static IP address on the PC of 169.254.58.62.  I've changed the drive configuration to unallocated.  It looks like the updater will create the necessary partitions - provided it can detect the drive of course.

Is there anything I can try to enable the updater to detect the drive?

Swell

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:31:45 PM »

Sorry about the multiple posts - I realised that NAS Navigator identified the drive as a V2, so I tried the LS-series-fw156_fwwin.zip updater and it detects the drive.  However.....it is reporting "Could not confirm whether the partition exists.  Cannot update the firmware.  Firmware updating is aborted." 

Should I create a partition on the drive?  At the moment the whole drive is unallocated.

Swell

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 06:07:05 AM »

Just to add to this, I eventually managed to coax the Linkstation to life, through a lot of trial and error!

For some reason, the only updater I could get to even start the update process was v1.21 for LS-CHL v2.  Initially it wouldn't accept the drive - I'd tried using Partition Magic to remove partitions and set to Unallocated, but no dice.  I then usd Ubuntu to format it to XFS, again no good.  I eventually used Ubuntu to set the drive as Unallocated, and finally it began to update, but the update kept failing after transferring the files.  I then tried v1.34 and it completed the update.  After the update, I was able to use TFTP to boot it and the drive worked fine, but wouldn't self-reboot.  So I upgraded to 1.56 and it's now fine.  Weird how 1.21 was the only version which would start the update.

Just thought I'd share this in case it's of any use to anyone going through the same process!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »

Thank you for the update. I will try this in the future if I have issues like this.