Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo Gen 3 LS-WX4.0TL/R1  (Read 3248 times)

ausduckz

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo Gen 3 LS-WX4.0TL/R1
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:14:05 PM »

Hello, I'm looking at purchasing one of these and just have a question regarding hard drive configuration.

I don't wish to place 2 drives in any sort of RAID array, and am wondering if this device supports standard/JBOD configurations, and would display 2 drive letters, as all documentation only suggests it support RAID 0 and 1.

Thanks.

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo Gen 3 LS-WX4.0TL/R1
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »

This can be set as a JBOD type of unit, you would need to delete the raid array, than reformat each disk, than you can create share folders on each disk respectively, this is as close to JBOD as the unit will get

lalafor

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »

This is good, I always set my two disks in raid0 to get more space but I know I will be screwed if there is a problem with one disk.

By having two speparate volumes, it means that I could possibly mount each drives on a system to recover some data in case the unit dies?

If I understand correctly, even with raid1, if it's the linkstation that breaks, there is nothing to restore the raid on another PC or linkstation box right?

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »

That is entirely possible, with 2 drives each acts as its on drive to store share folders and any info yo uassign to it, you cannot assign the drives personally to machine, but the shares you create on each disk

ausduckz

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:34:10 AM »

As previously stated, the reason I don't wish to place 2 drives in a RAID array, is incase one drive fails, I only lose what is on it, and not the other, and I don't wish to use RAID 1 because I have a lot of data, but don't really need redundancy.

I have never used a NAS, so I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid. I read that it has SMB protocol, so I am presuming you access the NAS on a computer by typing \\NAS into explorer of something similar. And in my case, would it show 2 separate shares. And also, once the drive is installed in the NAS, if I need to for whatever reason, can you simply remove the drive, connect it to a desktop PC, and read the data off it, or is the drive dependent on the NAS once it is installed?

Thanks again.

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 07:53:15 AM »

It would show as many shares as you set up by accessing it via \\ipaddress  the drives will be completely independant of each other as well

lalafor

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:07:50 AM »

From what I understand, when you access your NAS from the network, by using \\NAS, you don't see the drives there, you see the shares. If the shares you created point on different drives, then it will be transparent. So let say you remove a drive, all the share pointing to this drive will be gone, but the other shares pointing on the other drive will remain.

About taking the drive to another machine or PC, you might need a Linux box to mount the drive, Windows does not support XSF natively. In simpler term, in case the NAS unit dies, I think you should be able to retrieve the data providing minimal efforts. At least you are not doomed like in RAID.

Cheers! 

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »

Correct about the 1st paragraph, as with the 2nd, even taking it to Linux box is not easy under any means

ausduckz

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:47 PM »

Thanks for all your replies. I'm getting a better understanding now.

So does the NAS format the drives into XSF file system does it? And if the NAS, for whatever reason, died, would a SATA to USB help in being able to retrieve the data that is on the drive?

lalafor

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »

Hello ausduckz

I would say that sata to USB would not work. You would rather need to connect the SATA drive directely in a PC and try to mount one of the partition to access the data. I am not familiar though, I just noticed there are 3 parittions on the drives once they come out the NAS. This is why I think a USB to SATA wouldn't be able to interpret the structure of theHDD.

ausduckz

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 11:01:36 PM »

Just a couple more questions regarding this unit.

1) If I store a collection of mp3's on this unit, and add the network share to my library in Windows Media Player, will tags and file/folder art be able to be automatically updated, as it normally would when a collection is stored on a PC?

2) In the case of a power outage, if the unit is not behind a UPS, is there a risk of data loss? Or no more of a risk, then what it would be like having a PC without a UPS and a power outage happening?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »

1. Yes, provided the album art is located in that folder (which is usually the way it works)
  2. The unit will perform a disk check on next startup (unless there is damage done during a surge) in the event of an improper shutdown.  Data loss doesn't usually occur unless the surge damage carries to the HDD connection on the system board or the HDD controller board itself.

ausduckz

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »

Well I have this set up how I would like it, and all is running well. I have also updated to firmware v1.34.

I have removed the Raid-0 Array and both drives are currently running independent of each other.

I have 1 question though. Is it possible to share more then 1 folder in the Media Server?

Because I have 2 drives, I have created a share folder on each drive, but in the media server, I can only select one of those share folders. I would like to be able to select both share folders to share over the media server.

Because I bought this unit mainly for the media server, if I can't figure this problem out with 2 independent drives, I will just have to put them back into Raid-0.

Also, is there any reason why, when I'm transferring to the unit, it rarely breaks through 20MBps? I have a Linksys SR2024 Gigabit switch, and I'm using Cat5e cables.

Thanks for you help.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »

With the Media Server function I believe you can only share one folder, I would recommend storing your media under a single root folder on a single drive with the name media for best result.  The result you're getting with your transfer rate seems a bit of an odd speed (20 MBps or 20 Mbps?) could you clarify for me? 20 Megabytes a second would be pretty impressive :P