Author Topic: Linkstation Quad 1.0TL/R5 will not format external hard drive!  (Read 1538 times)

Byroman

• Calf

I am using a 1TB Linkstation Quad LS-Q1.0TL/R5 (firmware 1.10) for small office file sharing and storage... it was an upgrade last year from an older Terastation and has worked great - really like the web access feature.

I have always used Maxtor external hard drives (two 300gb models swapped out daily) to backup the Linkstation data on a nightly basis. They were originally formatted to XFS format when being used as backup for the old Terastation and I therefore have never had to format them to work with the Linkstation.

As the storage has grown on the Linkstation I have had to recently upgrade to larger capacity external drives as the 300gb models are maxed out. I thought I would go ahead and use the Linkstations disk format option to reformat the old external drives in order clear them out and possibly utilize them somewhere else in the office.

When running the format utility I am getting a consistent "format failure" message after the utility tries to run for 20 seconds or so. I have tried formatting multiple different drives and get the same results. To top it off, I hooked up the old Terastation and ran the format utility through it and it did the job without a problem. Now, when hooked to the Linkstation,the external drives can be seen, but it cannot recognize the file format... very frustrating as I know they were freshly formatted to XFS and function fine on the Terastation.

I am wondering if this could possibly be a firmware issue????

I read one other thread posted here that sounded like the same issue, but only had one response. I am hoping that this new post will grab someone's attention that will be able to offer some help.

Thanks...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Quad 1.0TL/R5 will not format external hard drive!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

Hmmmm, I would suggest a force firmware update and then re-initialize the unit.

Byroman

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »

Thanks Dustrega... do I need to worry about losing any data during the force firmware procedure?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »

I won't lie that there is a slim chance of data loss but before the NAS would format it will send a notice via the updater.  Just make sure before performing the force firmware update that the 'Rebuild Partition Table' option is not enabled before clicking OK and Update.  Post back on your results please. :)

Byroman

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »

Dustrega,

Do you know off hand what the external HD capacity limit is on the1TB Linkstation Quad. One of the external drives I purchased is 1.5TB... in reading some other threads I see that some Linkstation models are limited on what size USB disk can be plugged into them. This may be part of my problem.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »

I think that with the externals there is a 2 TB limitation.  I will be looking into that.