Author Topic: MKV on LS-WXL Linkstation Duo DLNA Server not recognize by Samsung LA40C550  (Read 9344 times)

raven268

• Calf

I recently bought a LS-WXL Linkstation Duo enclosure, had the media server setup fine, firmware updated to 1.34. However, I'm facing problem streaming mkv videos to my Samsung LA40C550 LCD TV. Same file can be played either through USB drive or Serviio media server though. Any idea what might be wrong here?

Dustrega

• Big Bull

Are you streaming over a wired network or wireless?

raven268

• Calf

Wired.

Dustrega

• Big Bull

10/100? Gigabit? Any other specifications you might think are relevant?

raven268

• Calf

100mbps to TV.

Not that I  can think of. I can stream the similar file through USB and Serviio, works flawlessly. As for Linkstation Media server, it can see the file but keep on saying format not recognize but for other format such as AVI, it streams perfectly.

Dustrega

• Big Bull

Then the DLNA support for that file type being played from the NAS might not be included.  Especially, since AVI is working fine.  I'm not sure how else to put it.

arthurleo

• Calf

I have the same issue with .mkv files not playing on my LinkStation Duo LS-WXL/E and playing from my Samsung Blu-Ray BD-C5500 player.  However, the same .mkv files play fine if I point it to another DLNA server which runs off my Mac running TVMobili software.

A check with the User Manual on page 111 reveals that it does not list .mkv as a supported DLNA format but it does have one called ".m1v" (which I thought was a typo error since I am not familiar with such a format!).

This is a real bummer and I hope Buffalo updates the firmware to support this .mkv format (which is very popular and is really high def) or else I will discard my Buffalo NAS for another brand which supports .mkv in the near future.  I can't think of any decent vendor claiming DLNA support which does not support a very popular file format like .mkv, seriously!

Can someone from Buffalo please tell me that they will support .mkv in an upcoming firmware update?

return78

• Calf

I had been waiting for months on MKV support but yet. :)

CapnSmith

• Buffalo

There is an update to the firmware for this unit, version 1.37.

I recommend updating to this firmware, then resetting your unit to defaults and reconfiguring it, and trying to stream your .mkv files again.

arthurleo

• Calf
Thanks for the tip but I must point out that the latest firmware, for the Linkstation Duo LS-WXL/E is version 1.4 which had a post date of 28 December 2010. The first thing I did, after I bought this puppy, was to update the firmware to this latest version even before transferring my media files from my old NAS and reconfiguring to run as RAID 1 (I've lost data on previous NASs before so I always configure my NASs for RAID 1 nowadays). As reported in my post, my .mkv media files do not play on this NAS, despite running on the latest firmware, even though the same files work over another DLNA software running on my Mac which is TVMobili. If I compare the LinkStation Duo's DLNA software to TVMobili, I must say that the former is rather rudimentary as it does not even support the basic Pause, Forward and Review buttons on my Samsung Blu-Ray BD-C5500's remote. Once I start playing a supported .avi file, I would have to play it right through to the end as there is no way I can resume from a previously paused location. This is rather annoying so I end up not playing media files off the LinkStation Duo NAS but have to turn on my Mac and run the TVMobili software most of the time, certainly not what I had intended when I bought the LinkStation Duo NAS!

MafiaMan

• Calf

I have even weirder problem. LS Duo is connected to LG infinia LE8500 in my case and i can play two .mkv files (2 episodes of TopGear) ,It doesnt displays it's runtime ,and i can't rewind them but they work . Then i added some more files and they are not visible on TV and they are also .mkv . Explain that :)

Roberto

• Calf

Finally i got working MKV on DLNA with Linkstation duo but not out of the box , i've found the way to install the latest version of  twonkymedia-kirkwood-6.0.30 using the firmware 1.37 mod with root enabled. I'm not so expert in linux based system but systems work and the format avaliable on DLNA is the same that running twonkymedia server on my Imac, so i consider a very good result and i hope Buffalo will update to latest version with MKV capable cause hardware seems doing without any problem. My TV is Samsung Led TV and as you know they block some video format across DLNA (why?)

I about to write down my steps used to get this result , please let me know if is possible to write this procedure here in the forum or if banned are pending for this.

Sorry for my bad english.

Roberto.

xander054

• Calf

Hey roberto,

i would be very interested in finding out how this is done? i also have a samsung c8000 and ps3. currently having lots of issues with mkv files and when i do get them to work there is no rewind or fast forward.

Have you got rewing and fasforward working with the latest twonky?

Roberto

• Calf

Sorry for crazy text, was auto cmpletation feature of ipad :-) Now the text should be readable.

"Hi i think fast forward a rewind are not depending by dlna server Samsung decide about it like not play MKV across the LAN. For have the same feature of USB connected devices you should mount network disk as USB device. Exist project to open the Samsung firmware and make this trick possible. In my case i can go forward and rewind using directional key but must for small amount of second . The important thing is the possibilty to play all Twonky video format from buffalo linkstation duo in the same way when the twonky media was running on imac. My Samsung model is UE40C6800"

arthurleo

• Calf
Huh? Really didn't catch what you were trying to say, Roberto! Sorry, I want to know how one can even get to the OS level on these NAS devices to install any other software. There was some mention of an "ARM" version that could be used to update the DLNA software by someone from Buffalo but to date, I have not received any reply to my email to their support asking for details on how to do this!