Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo setup fail  (Read 3309 times)

dje196

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo setup fail
« on: October 21, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »

1 Terabyte LinkStation Pro Duo

Windows PCs. No domain. 

Wireless network with router doing DHCP.

I have installed the LinkStation on the network. Lights are OK.

I have run the startup disk but it sulks and says "A LinkStation could not be found on the network"

I can however browse to it's IP address and log in. But I've failed to make the thing work from the advanced UI so far (almost certainly User inexperience)

I'm guessing my Firewall is blocking the discovery port used by "LinkNavigator" to find the linkstation, but I've no idea which port to enable on my router.

I looked for newer software but I have no idea how to work out what firmware revision my box is. (edit: I'm on LS-WTGL/R1-V3 F/W 3.07 which I'm guessing means I'm up to date)

I've searched the FAQ to no avail.

(Edit: 'tis fixed. I blame Zone Alarm for everything, seems some remnant of it had even survived uninstall)

All assistance gratefully received,

Dave

Message Edited by dje196 on 10-21-2008 06:41 PM
Message Edited by dje196 on 10-21-2008 07:05 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo setup fail
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
   The LinkNavigator software doesn't use a specific "port" in the way one would think. It uses a broadcast message that isn't related to the TCP/IP protocol, which is the protocol that uses the port numbers. ZoneAlarm is notorious for causing headaches since, as you've found, it leaves behind remnants that can still mess with networking even after uninstalling the program. I'm sorry for the lateness of this reply, but I'm glad you've found a solution.