Author Topic: Replacement HD will not format in Terastation  (Read 6876 times)

Jacketer57

• Calf
Replacement HD will not format in Terastation
« on: August 05, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »

I have a TeraStation the TS-1.0TGL/R5 model and recently had a HD failure so I replaced the damaged HD with a known working HD of similar size which was already formatted NTFS...once the TeraStation was powered up it alarmed with an error stating the replacement disk was unformatted, so I ran the TeraStation format utility on the offending disk and it starts disk formating and then fails with the message "Disk Format Failed" I have reinitialised the TereStation and gone through it again and still the same result....I have tried the same again with another HD of similar size and it still fails to format...can any one help or explain where have I gone wrong, if I have!..

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Replacement HD will not format in Terastation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »

Your gonna want to delete that partition so the disk is unalocated and then try and format it again through the unit. If it still doesnt give you that option, try to back up the data and then create a new raid array.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »

You did mention the replacement was of similar size. Exactly 250GB or more than 250GB? What firmware version are you running? Did you attempt restructure of the RAID instead of straight out formatting first?

Jacketer57

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »

Hi...just done that..I.e.. removed HD from unit inserted in PC and removed any partitions and left it unallocated and then reinserted into unit, went through the normal process but still get format fail!  I have tried to create a new raid array but its failing and asking me to review disk status and all disk now state unformatted and there we start again with the offending slot failing in formatting!

Jacketer57

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 05:50:12 AM »

Hi...the disks are exactly the same size I.e. 250Gb and I have Firmware 1.04 on the unit...yes I did try the RAID restructure first...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:42:50 PM »

It's possible that the system board on that NAS may be going to the wayside.  My apologies.

Jacketer57

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »

Hi...I thought that but I have swapped the disks between slot 1 and slot 2 of the unit and the problem went with it...the problem seems that the unit will not accept a new disk!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:18:03 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure but perhaps there's something about the drive (speed, buffer, etc.) that isn't meshing with the rest of the unit.  Do you have the model for the current drives and the model for the HDD you're putting in?

Jacketer57

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »

Hi...They are the exactly the same.....a Samsung SP2504C (250GB/7200rpm/8M) rev.A... with no jumper settings, went faulty and a Samsung SP2504C (250GB/7200rpm/8M) rev.A... with no jumper settings replaced it!

The replacement was in one of my PC's as a secondary HD and was working prior to using in the Terastation and subsequently I have tested again in the PC and all is well!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

Attempt the TFTP boot procedure and then perform a force firmware update with the "Rebuild Partition Table" option enabled since the RAID is currently unformatted anyway.  This one truly has me stumped.

Jacketer57

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »

Hi

When I powered up the Unit this morning I had to reset the Unit as I was getting "unable to load Kernel" error 04 ....once I got into a postion where I could access the Unit via the web I forced a Firmware update and then had to change the language to English from Japanese....but I'm afraid I still get the same problem.....disk unformatted and when I tried to format it fails.....

I wonder if this is something simple sorrounding the state of the HD...in other words should the disk be unallocated or prior formatted and if so in what format?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »

No because the RAID comparison should find that the HDD doesn't fit with the other 3 (data wise) and throw out an error.  Try to re-initialize the unit via the GUI.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this is going to be a simple fix.