Author Topic: Continuous blue flashing led ls-xhl  (Read 6581 times)

gmw

• Calf
Continuous blue flashing led ls-xhl
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »

My LS-XHL became unresponsive after upgrading firmware. I have removed drive and deleted all partitions (and replaced drive) to enable starting from boot loader (this is the method I used initially as I bought the unit without a disk).

Unit powers on with blue flashing light then goes to 6 red flashes as expected. PC set to 192.168.11.1 and running tftp boot utility.

When pressing function button the light starts flashing blue and the unit connects and downloads both files, uImage.buffalo and initrd.buffalo. But no matter how long I wait the led does not stop flashing blue and become a steady blue. I have not noticed any disk activity during or after the tftp download, although a small amount was heard on power on. The drive seems to work ok under windows 7.

Any suggestions of what to try?

Gary_Will

• Calf
Re: Continuous blue flashing led ls-xhl
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:01 AM »

After getting the tftp connected, are you running the firmware update?

gmw

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 04:07:35 AM »

Gary_Will wrote:

After getting the tftp connected, are you running the firmware update?

Have tried running update (once TFTP transfer appears complete), but LSUpdater does not find LS-XHL. The light continues flashing blue, never changes to constant blue.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »

When you say appears to have completed does the TFTP window show blocks served?

gmw

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »

Dustrega wrote:

When you say appears to have completed does the TFTP window show blocks served?

Here is the output from the TFPT session

D:\LS-XHL\LS-XHL\TFTP Boot Recovery xhl>"TFTP Boot.exe"
Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration settings have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Version 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to D:\LS-XHL\LS-XHL\TFTP Boot Recovery xhl\
listening On: 192.168.11.1:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..
Client 192.168.11.150:1073 D:\LS-XHL\LS-XHL\TFTP Boot Recovery xhl\uImage.buffal
o, 4080 Blocks Served
Client 192.168.11.150:3473 D:\LS-XHL\LS-XHL\TFTP Boot Recovery xhl\initrd.buffal
o, 16645 Blocks Served

The blue light continues flashing and I don't notice any disk access sounds. Is it possible the disk is in a state that the LS-XHL does not like. Do I have to initialise it somehow.

When I first purchased the LS-XHL (minus disk) I installed a new 2TB disk and used the bootloader successfully then the firmware updater. Everything was working and I loaded heaps of files on to it. But then it became unresponsive after a firmware upgrade (continuous blue flashing light). I deleted the partitions under Windows 7 so i could start from scratch with the Bootloader, and that is where I am up to at the moment.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »

Strange because after the blocks are served, running the firmware update should locate the unit.  Any firewall/countermeasure software that you're running (including Windows Firewall)?

JohnGray

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 12:05:57 PM »

I found that updating the firmware of my LS-X1.5TL to v1.33 (from v1.20)  took a worryingly long time after the blocks were apparently written, with the orange light doing a sequence of

flash <long pause> flash <long pause> five rapid flashes

then after this a very lengthy time of the blue light flashing rapidly - perhaps for as long as five minutes or more.

I was very tempted to power off, but very glad that I didn't, since it was OK after all that.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »

That blink code is in accordance with the I25 on our TeraStations which generally means "The firmware is updating do not turn off the device".

gmw

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »

Dustrega wrote:

Strange because after the blocks are served, running the firmware update should locate the unit.  Any firewall/countermeasure software that you're running (including Windows Firewall)?

The unit is connected directly to my computer (no Switch) and I have disabled the Firewall. This configuration worked the first time I installed onto a blank disk. But this time it doesn't seem to want to write to the disk.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »

Does the NAS Navigator "see" the device?  Is the NAS pingable?  Have you tried the force firmware update procedure?

gmw

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »

Dustrega wrote:

Does the NAS Navigator "see" the device?  Is the NAS pingable?  Have you tried the force firmware update procedure?

Nas Navigator does not "see" the device.

The NAS is not pingable on 192.168.11.150 (this is the address shown for the LS-XHL in the TFTP transfer). Would not ping before, during or after TFTP transfer.

Force firmware update does not work because LSUpdate cannot find device.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »

Try an EM boot without doing TFTP and see if you can get it to respond to a force firmware update.

gmw

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 05:49:56 AM »

Dustrega wrote:

Try an EM boot without doing TFTP and see if you can get it to respond to a force firmware update.

When trying an EM boot the Function Button does not go solid blue, it keeps flashing along with the power light until the power light changes to flashing red 6 times, pauses and repeats. This makes sense as I have cleared the disk partitions and the firmware can't be found. The disk is being accessed before it goes into the red flashing sequence.

force firmware update does not work, can't find device.

Celestil

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »

Hi,

Did you ind a solution?

I Have exactly the same problems -> flashing blue light, tftp blocks served,but no connection vie ethernet, not pingable,...

Would be nice, if anyone could help me.

gmw

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:53 AM »

Celestil wrote:

Hi,

Did you ind a solution?

I Have exactly the same problems -> flashing blue light, tftp blocks served,but no connection vie ethernet, not pingable,...

Would be nice, if anyone could help me.

Haven't found a solution yet.