Author Topic: Please explain different types of backups on Terastation  (Read 15844 times)

CharlotteGuy

• Calf
Please explain different types of backups on Terastation
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »

I have a Terastation, HS-DHTGL663.  I'm setting up backup jobs for it, and am confused about what the different job options are.  Can you provide a description/application of each Backup Operation Mode?

Normal Backup

Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential)

Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential) - this seems to be a duplicate, but this is how it's listed in the drop-down.

Overwrite Backup (Append Backup)

Overwrite Backup (Differential Backup)

I want to do a full backup once, then only the changes, and only keeping the files I have on the Terastation (i.e., if I delete a file on the TS, I don't want it taking up space on my backup USB drive).

Also, I set up a first backup of one of the shares on the TS.  This share contains about 515GB of pictures.  It's been running for about 21 hours now.  Is that common to take that long?  It's backing up to a USB drive.  Thanks.

Thanks.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Please explain different types of backups on Terastation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »

"Normal Backup" - Saves as "yyyymmddhhmmsourcenamedata".  Makes a new folder for each backup.

"Overwrite Backup (Complete/Append)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata".  Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

"Overwrite Backup (Complete/Differential)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata". Does a complete backup every time, if a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

"Overwrite Backup (Append)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will not be deleted.

"Overwrite Backup (Differential)" - Saves as "_backupssourcenamedata". Does a complete backup the first time, subsequent backups only send the changes. If a file is on the destination that is not on the source, it will be deleted.

Other options:

"Create a file folder which would be identified by backup source" -  If this is unchecked, any overwrite backup will overwrite files already existing on the share. This is useful if backup that seems to be mirrored exactly in structure is desired. There will be issues if 2 shares are backed up to a single share

"Use encrypted transfer" - Specify whether data should be encrypted when it is transferred for backup. 

* Throughput is decreased if this encryption function is enabled. 

* Don't use this function when backup destination is USB hard drive.

"Use compressed transfer" - Specifies whether data should be compressed when it is transferred for backup.

* When backup is performed via network by using this function, transferring speed may increase in the environment where network bandwidth is narrow. (It is not that backup all data into one archive).

* Do not use this function when backup destination is a USB hard drive.

"Create backup log files" - Creates log files of the backup on the source folder.

"Backup task isn't cancel even error is occurred" - If enabled, after a backup failure, subsequent scheduled backups will still be performed.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

kitonne

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »

Regarding the backup time - yes backup to USB drive is very slow when actual files are copied.  My first backp of about 700GB took about 3 days; differential backups when only a couple of GB have changed takes less then one hour.  Calculated speed is around 1 MByte / second.  It is much faster to have an external PC copy the files from the main share to the external USB drive attached to the NAS (teracopy or fastcopy free programs help a lot, the copy function from Windows is a joke).  Also, having 20K files in a single directory slows access to a crawl; may want to keep the number of files in each directory below 1000.....

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:24:59 PM »

Have you made any modifications to the NAS settings?  More specifically, have you modified the ethernet frame size in the Network settings?

PhilipSargent

• Calf

For some years I have been happily running an overnight differential backup from my main Linkstation Pro to another one (both 500GB LS-GL firmware 1.11)  in another building (using HomePlug ethernet).

Today I unpacked a new Linkstation Live  LS CH2.0TL-V2 as the first stage in my plan to upgrade to 2 TB.

Upgrading the firmware to 1.56 took over an hour (and I am on a fast Virgin cable).

After a tale of tears I won't bore you with, I discovered that the Backup in Linkstations (which is really rsync of course) is incompatible with Jumbo frames. This is a typical error:

-------- BEGIN BACKUP 2012/01/27 15:15:01 disk1/Michael -> CHOROTEGA@disk1/share --------
building file list ...
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(541) [receiver=3.0.3]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (4 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8]
-------- END BACKUP 2012/01/27 15:27:46 disk1/Michael -> CHOROTEGA@disk1/share --------

I was pleased to discover that the new Live box does "pull" as well as "push" Backup, but the documentation on how to ensure that both ends use the same password is still dire.

So it all appears to be working now, but I willgive it a week to be sure.

I am posting this in case anyone else runs into the Jumbo Frames/rsync problem.