Author Topic: Pro - Media Server not discovering Music tags ?  (Read 4935 times)

roydonaldson

• Calf
Pro - Media Server not discovering Music tags ?
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »

Hi there,

I've just upgraded from a Linkstation LIve 1TB to a Linkstation Pro 2TB. I had all my music (approx. 400GB FLAC) working and serving using the Media Server on the Live showing Album names, Artists etc. all fine.

I then copied these exact files across onto my new Pro 2TB and I can browse by Folder and see all my music (using a UpnP control point), however when I try and browse by Artist or Album, it only shows 5 of them ??

Any ideas on what's up ? I'm running the latest 1.33 release of the firmware.

Roy.

roydonaldson

• Calf
Re: Pro - Media Server not discovering Music tags ?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:56:58 AM »

I have now had my Linkstation Pro swapped for a brand new one. This one has been shipped with 1.24 of the software as new.

I take a USB drive that has all my Music on it that is currently connected to my old Linkstation 1TB and copy all the music onto the new Linkstation Pro 2TB, check that the Media Server is running, click the box to rescan the Share directory and then using the exact same UpNp client that shows all the music on the 1TB Linkstation, it does not find any of the Music tags for the exact same files on the new 2TB Linkstation Pro.

Any ideas ????

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:51:31 AM »

This is not an uncommon issue. Alot of times meta tag's dont transfer over samba. You may want to try using software like itunes. That may transfer to the meta tags if you set the data base to be located there.

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »

Ok, I unplug the USB HDD from my 1TB Linkstation Live and plug it in to my new 2TB Linkstation Pro.

I click Rescan Now and enable show USB disks in the media server and it doesn't show them as Artist/Album etc.

Other thing I tried is plug USB drive in the Linkstation Pro. Go to Mac, copy files from USB share, to Share. Still no Artist/Album information.

Any advice on how to get the Music over to the new Linkstation successfully ?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »

Did you try using itunes?

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »

Not sure what you want me to do with iTunes ?

I don't use iTunes, these files are all FLAC which I don't think iTunes recognises ?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

Im assuming it would convert them in the library but what im suggesting is that you use the method of creating a library on itunes move xml file to the linkstation and then point that itunes library to the linkstation and start dropping your folders into itunes so it will transfer the music to the linkstation. Maybe that way it will keep the tags. Or use some kind of software to do it.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

Which software are you currently using to play the files/look for media (before iTunes was suggested)?  Furthermore, if you copy one of the files to the NAS and go to the file properties the IDv3 tag should be viewable (if any).  If not, please post back.

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »

I'm using a application called ChorusDSHD on my iPad. It is a Upnp control point application that I use to send the music on my NAS to my Linn Akurate DS music player. This worked fine on my 1TB Linkstation live before.

If I browse the share from a Win7 laptop, and look at the properties of the files, then it shows the name and type. I get the same information under Properties->Details for the same files on both NAS's.

Is there any log file I can get for you from the MediaServer on the 2TB Linkstation Pro ?

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »

Is it worth knowing that the Music library is approx. 420GB in size with 1033 albums in it.

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 03:01:31 PM »

Ok, I point MediaMonkey at the files directly on the NAS and it is loading in all the files with their tags as I type this.

Just seems to be the Media Server that is not picking them up on the NAS.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »

Interesting, I'll look into other possibilities.  Maybe the MediaServer on the NAS has issues with loading tags for FLAC files.

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
Any ideas ? Otherwise I need to return it.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »

None as of yet, I have to eat and sleep too :robottongue: but I am checking into the capability of IDv3 tags for FLAC files.  Just a little more time.  The DLNA certificate for this device shows that it is compliant with LPCM (2 channel according to the legend supplied on the DLNA website) which will work with the formats of MP3, WMA9, AC-3, AAC, ATRAC3plus.  Looks like FLAC files aren't included.  My apologies.

roydonaldson

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 05:15:02 AM »

Seems strange to me, as it all works perfectly on a Linkstation Live 1TB. All I do is move the exact same files onto a new Linkstation Pro 2TB and it now doesn't recognise FLAC files ?

Is this a change is software between the Live and the Pro ? Is there a change in Media Server between the 2 ?