Author Topic: DNS Hostname Question  (Read 9016 times)

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
Re: DNS Hostname Question
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »

Caramelson:  Thanks!  I sent you a private email for help...thanks again.

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »

I really appreciate your post from 7/28 about my DNS problem.  I tried your solutions and I'm still having issues (likely user error again).

Here is how I set this up, step-by-step:

dnsdyn.com:

DNS hostname is xxxxx.homeip.net

This DNS points to the NAS at 192.168.x.xxx (the NAS static IP address).  Is that correct?  Please confirm that is correct.

NAS:

No SSL

DNS Hostname: xxxxx.homeip.net

Port: 8081

Linksys Router (WRT54GS):

I cannot forward one port to another port as far as I know.  There is port forwarding and port triggering on my router.  I've been using port forwarding.  The port forwarding lets you forward a range of ports to a specific IP address.  You cannot forward one port to another port (as far as I know).  Also, I've been using both TCP and UDP when forwarding (check off "Both").

I've tried forwarding port 8081 to 192.168.x.xxx and that doesn't work.

I've tried forwarding port 9000 to 192.168.x.xxx and that doesn't work.

I've tried forwarding the range of ports from 8081 to 9000 to 192.168.x.xxx and that doesn't work either. 

I attached a link to the Linksys manual so you can see what I've been seeing...

Linksys User Manual  See page 15 of this manual for the port forward instructions.  I have version 7.

So my router forwarding would look like this:

Application     Start Port      End Port         TCP/UDP     IP

NAS                  8081             8081                Both             192.168.x.xxx

Prior to the DNS, I used Buffalo's web access, so the above was 9000 for Start and 9000 for End.   I've also tried (with no success) start/end = 9000; start 8081 and end 9000.  Nothing works... 

So, that's all.  I've tried everything, but must have a step wrong somewhere along the line.

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED. 

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 08:21:44 PM »

Apparently Buffalo has no solution for the problems I've described in great detail.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »

Actually it is your lack of router funtionality that is causing the problem.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 02:09:32 PM »

Davo,

So, are you saying that most current routers are able to forward port 8081 to port 9000?

What router should I buy that has this functionality?

Does port triggering have anything to do with this problem?

Please advise...

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 05:34:55 AM »

Well you router supports DD-WRT firmware so you could flash your router to this and apply the port forwarding rule. Although with your level of experience i wouldn't really recommend it as you may brick your router. (no offense intended)

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 06:59:18 AM »

Part  of this thread that degraded into flaming has been deleted at the request of the people posting.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 08:26:51 AM »

Well i'm outlining an option to you, weither you take offense to it or not is upto yourself, (even though i clearly stated that i ment no offense) 

You have proved that you are not able to understand basic networking so i was saying it is probably in your own interests not to proceed any futhure as doing so will probably result in you bricking your router, then subjecting the DD-WRT/Buffalo forums to a barade of pointless "Why isn't my internet box working" threads.

If you think i'm bad and you cannot take what i'm saying then thats your issue.

EDIT: Tell you what, flash to the DD-WRT firmeare and ill be more than happy to post a screen shot of the EXACT port forwarding rule you need. Flash the FW at your own risk though.

EDIT2: Here's the image, it will remain alive for 1 day:

http://buffalonas.com/davo/axs/u:0b2ec2bf20de054b4cb1709fb936458d/dd-wrt.JPG

tnbtaylor

• Tatanka
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »

Other than Davo, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »

After that kind of behavior tnbtaylor I'm not so inclined.  He clearly said no offense after outlining a possibility for you.  I will say this, that davo has been around much longer and I would recommend taking his advice even if it's not an "easy" fix.  Furthermore, I will state your sarcasm is not going to help solve this problem at all.