Author Topic: Lost boot image TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5  (Read 10122 times)

skwishst

• Calf
Lost boot image TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »

Hi,

I am getting the Lost boot image E06 for my TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5.  I have run the TFTPBoot.exe and can get to EM mode, but all attempts to then run the firmware update fail.  Sometimes when I attempt an update and get an error stating ACP_STATE_PID_ERROR.  When I try to recreate the partitions in debug mode i get Failed to formatting (0xFFFFFFFE) Updating is aborted.  I have tried removing each drive one by one but still cannot get the terastation to boot into anything but EM mode.  I have checked each drive with the WD utility and there are no failed drives or bad sectors.

Please help me,

Stephen

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Lost boot image TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
Make sure that you are not running any antivirus or firewall software on your machine, You can aslo try to remove one drive at a time and flash the firmware on 3 drives.

ohiolitig8or

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 02:23:59 PM »

Paul,

I am having difficulty with a HD-H1.0TGL/R5.  I pulled two of the 250GB drives and replaced them with two 500GB SATA w/ SATA/IDE converter.  I am getting formatting failures of 0x100, create_raid.  I have a linux Live CD which I have used to wipe the drives both with and without a partition formatted once with XFS and once with EXT2.  But I can't seem to get around the error.  Right now I can't get past the EM mode, and obviously no access to the web gui.  I see here you have made reference to the fact there must be at least three drives which makes me wonder whether or not, a configuration with two 250's and two 500's is doable or whether all the drives in the unit must be of the same size.  The final configuration that I had been looking for was for the pari of 250's to act as Raid Array 1 (Mode 1), and the pair of 500's to act as Raid Array 2 (Mode 2).

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Kevin H.

ohiolitig8or

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 02:25:42 PM »
   At the end of the last post I intended to say Mode 1 raid for both of the pairs of 250 and 500 respectively.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:45 PM »

ohiolitig8or:

We have not tested the devices with a setup like that, two 250s and two 500s. It may work, but I wouldn't even know where to start if it doesn't.

ohiolitig8or

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

Colin,

Just to be clear, what you have tested is 4 X 500 GB, and 4 X 1TB in the units correct?  I assume also, that the latter of 4 X 1TB could work if used in a Raid Array 1 configuration of 2 drives acting as 1TB and the remaining 2 X 1TB drives acting as a second array - mode 1 also.

Thanks.

Kevin

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
The model number you provided (HD-H1.0TGL/R5) is for the original Terastation. Due to operating system restrictions, the maximum size drives supported by that model is 500GB, so 750GB or 1.0TB drives will not work. We have only tested the unit with the same capacity drives in the offered capacities, such as 4x160GB (0.6 TB), 4x250GB (1.0 TB), 4x400GB (1.6 TB), and 4x500GB (2.0 TB). The newer units (TS-Hx.xTGL/R5 and HS-DHx.xTGL/R5) support up to 1.0 TB drives.

ohiolitig8or

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:37:50 PM »

Colin,

I picked up two new 500GB drives to have 4 X 500GB in the HD Terastation.  I continue to be unable to get the 2.16 firmware loaded, and the firmware box has the dash going through it for the version.  The NAS Updater starts, then uploads the firmware, then states that a format must be performed for the firmware.  I answer yes to that prompt and then after a couple minutes I receive the following error message:

Failed to formatting:  0X100

script:  create_raid

Updating is aborted.

What do I need to do get around this.  I am unable to modify firmware even when no drives are connected.  I can create the raid later.  Your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »

have you tried the TFTP software?  This is another way to load the firmware the directions are in the link below.

TFTP

ohiolitig8or

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »

Paul,

I looked at the link and it shows TFTP packages for TS Pro and TS Live, since I have the original terastation which is not ARM based, but PPC based - which package should I pick for TFTP to the HD-HT1.0GL/R5?

Thanks.

Kevin

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 09:28:21 AM »
I will see if I can get this on the FTP site, however this is needed to load the immage on the drives.