Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Webaccess - WOL - nassvc.exe  (Read 2629 times)

watchguys

• Calf
Linkstation Pro Webaccess - WOL - nassvc.exe
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:03 PM »

I have purchased Linkstation pro (firmware v1.31) recently and interested in webaccess from internet. I have put the linkstation in "AUTO" mode and it goes to sleep often and I am not able to access it from internet. I have read from these forums to use WOL gui but had no luck (even did port forward for UDP on port 9).
Upon capturing the traces from wireshark for nassvc.exe, I see the following:
User Data Gram Protocol:  Src Port: 4631 , Dst Port: 22936

Any ideas how to use the WOL from internet ?

PS: I am using a Router based to Tomato Firmware to connect Linkstation.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro Webaccess - WOL - nassvc.exe
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

The Wake on Lan function for the device when in AUTO is on the local network only.  In other words if you don't have a local PC with the NAS Navi installed on it then the NAS is going to sleep constantly.  I would suggest in that scenario to keep the device ON.  The less complication the better, ya know?

FuzzyQ

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:23:33 AM »

Excuse me please, but this is neither helpful nor polite :smileymad: One would think that any customer intelligent enough to pose such a question also is intelligent enough to figure out the "less complicated" method.

This just wasn't the question. The question was how you can wake linkstation via internet. Your customers deserve that you at least think about that option for a moment before dumping it. Sure, wake-on-lan does not equal wake-on-wan, but I'm pretty sure it's not impossible.

What about using a VPN-tunnel? This way, your PC virtually appears to be part of your lan despite being connected only via internet. Shouldn't it be possible to send wake-on-lan orders through the tunnel repeatedly to do the job?

Best regards.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »

Your interpretation of my response was not meant to be negative, but I guess that's how it was taken.  The wake on wan as you had put it was/is not a natively supported option.  Furthermore, the wake on lan feature on the same local network is complicated enough.  Your feedback is noted, however we don't really have VPN support for these devices natively, though it may be an option.