Author Topic: 64-bit WinXP & TeraStation Access Problems  (Read 5443 times)

GeorgeIoak

• Calf
64-bit WinXP & TeraStation Access Problems
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:44:41 AM »

I have both a 1TB HD-H1-OTGL/R5 (firmware 1.12) and a 4TB TeraStation Live (firmware 2.14) on my network. I have an iMac, a Vista PC and a 32-bit PC on the network and all can access the 2 NAS'. I just added this 64-bit machine and am having real problems trying to access any of the shares.

The Client Utility has no problem seeing both NAS and sometimes in "MY Computer" it will show the drive shares and also the free space and total size but if I try to access the shares the computer just spins for quite some time and then gives a message that the share is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. I've also seen other error messages like "an error occurred while reconnecting Y: ... The local device name is already in use ...

I have tried to map drives by using both the IP address as well as the name but both give the same result. I have ESET antivirus running but I did check it's logs as well as trying to disable it. I did have another machine running ESET and WinXP 32-bit without any problems though.

I've tried mapping drives usiing windows explorer as well as with the client utility.

Any ideas what could be causing me this much grief???

Thanks in advance,

George

GeorgeIoak

• Calf
Re: 64-bit WinXP & TeraStation Access Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »

I thought I might add that from the WinXP 64-bit PC I can access files on other PCs located on the network so this problem is strictly related to accessing the TeraStations.

I don't have access restrictions enabled on either NAS but I also tried to create a map using the "login as" feature and supplying the login address and password used when I access the NAS in a browser. Which on the 64-bit PC I also cannot login into either NAS from a browser window.

I still have my fingers crossed someone has some good ideas on this for me!

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Bit WinXP & TeraStation Access Problems
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:27:19 PM »

What TS do you have?

also what firmware is it running?

make sure you are mapping via IP (\\IP_of_nas\foldername)

verify that the firewall software and anti virus software is disabled. 

GeorgeIoak

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »

I've got a HD-H1.0TGL/R5 running v1.12 and a HS-DH4.0TGL/R5 running v2.14

I only have Windows Firewall and I've tried disabling that as well as disabling my ESET antivirus but that doesn't help.

I cannot ping either NAS but NASNavigator2 easily finds both NAS and when I open "My Network Places" all the defined shares are listed. I also cannot access the web managment page of either NAS but I can access my router's web page.

I cannot map using \\IP_of_nas\foldername. If I browse it will find the shares but it takes a long time for the list of shares to show up but then it also does not connect.

I don't see any messages in the Event Viewer to suggest what might be blocking this access.

There must be some magical setting somewhere but I've been trying for 2 days now to find something!

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »

Try it in safe mode with networking, there is software on the machine that is blocking it.

Also try to update the firmware with a direct connect.

set a static IP on your PC to 192.168.11.10 the buffalo nas will sit on 192.168.11.150 by default (you may have to power cycle it).

when you have it directly connected also try to login to the interface, this will rule out if it is a network issue or a PC issue. 

GeorgeIoak

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:35:31 AM »

You lost me a little on the direct connection. Do you mean to disconnect my PC and the NAS from the router and connect them together with a network cable? If so does that have to be a cross over cable? Currently my network is setup as 192.168.10.xxx

I also just got some clues from Microsoft so I start with some of their ideas. I do have jumbo frames enabled on this 64-bit PC sp I guess I could start by turning that off, it currently is set to "9KB MTU". Some other settings on the NIC that might mean something to you are:

802.1Q/1p VLAN Tagging: Enabled

Flow Control: Enabled

Large Send Offload: Enabled

Speed & Duplex: Auto Negotiation

The NIC is an onboard Realtek 8111D

Here's the MS post:

I know of no reason why it shouldn't work, George. Therefore, I strongly
suspect something amiss in the AV, or in the NAS itself. I do know that XP
x64 is fussier about RPC packets than 32-bit XP. You might try enabling File
and Printer Sharing in Windows Firewall. And verify that Client for
Microsoft Networks is enabled in the TCP stack. Finally, I'd look at the
network card itself. If it has TCP Offload enabled or large packets, or any
other advanced features, I'd kill them.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters).

DisableTaskOffload=1
EnableTCPChimney=0
EnableTCPA=0
EnableRSS=0

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »
Jumbo frame setting will interfere with the communication. Change it to the default frame size, and try safe mode with networking support as Paul suggested. To get to safe mode, reboot your machine and tap F8 a bunch before the Windows loading screen comes up.

GeorgeIoak

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »

OK, I'm finally onto something here and it appears to be related to Jumbo Frames. I disabled most of the NIC features and turned Jumbo Frames off and I can now access the NAS. This still is a bit odd since all the other PCs don't seem to have any issues but I guess I'll have to see if Jumbo Frames isn't used on the other PCs.

I do have the 1TB NAS set to use 7,418 bytes and the 4TB is set to use 9,694 bytes. On the 4TB the next lower option is 7,42, why doesn't it match the 1TB option of 7,418? My understanding with Jumbo Frames is that this is just a maximum size of the packet that can be sent and the actual packet size is negotiated. I tried using a few of the other Jumbo Frame sizes on my 64-bit PC but they caused me to loose connection to the NAS'. Perhaps one of the other features I disabled is needed to enable this "negotiation" of packet sizes?

So what should my packet size settings be for the NAS' and PC's? The 4TB is serving up movies so maximum packet sizes should be a benefit and I use the 1TB to store large design files so quick transfer would be quite beneficial since some of these can be rather large.

I have updated the 1TB to the latest firmware.

So who is using Jumbo Frames and has a Realtek "NIC" and can share their settings? I'm never really sure with network changes if I really need to reboot after each change or if just a disable/enable of the network connection is sufficient.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
Your best bet would be to set the frame size on all the machines to the same or closest setting. Disable/enable the NIC and it should work.