Author Topic: LS-GL New Internal Disk working but reporting Error 16 at startup  (Read 4929 times)

aks

• Calf

I have replaced the hard disk in my Linkstation Pro with a WD10EADS-00P8B0 1TB Green and initialised the system using the TFTP procedure. It seems to have worked ok.

However, every time I start the unit, it bleeps and shows error code 16 on the red LED. A check disk reports no errors, and clears the error, but again at restart the error shows up. I tried a disk format (under disk management) and reset unit to defaults, but that made no difference. Note this disk format took only a few minutes.

I have now tried to do a format all linkstation drives, found under maintenance section. There is only the one drive connected. This format has been running now for over 8 hours, and the info orange LED is flashing code 22 - internal HDD recovering. The web interface reports "full format is being carried out".

I'm getting very near to pulling the power out and starting over...

Any suggestions as to what else I can do here?

aks

• Calf
Re: LS-GL New Internal Disk working but reporting Error 16 at startup
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »

This is what I learnt by logging in to a shell (I previously opened Telnet access):

Process pdflush taking 60% cpu, and cp is taking 30% cpu.

cp is copying from /dev/zero to /dev/ls_disk1_6.

I have no idea how far through the process this is, but I'll use google for any clues.  Anyone have suggestions on this?

edit:

I looked at disk usage and disk free (du and df) and nothing was changing, so I shutdown and restarted.  Now I have the red LED showing error 16 unable to locate internal disk again.

aks

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »

Can someone from Buffalo reply. It seems that others are expeiencing similar problem with WD10EADS-00P8B0 or WD15EADS-00P8B0 WD Green hard disks, but they work ok in a PC environment. Actually, after a disk check, the Linkstation clears the error and appears to work ok too. This seems to be a startup problem from cold reboot, but appears to be not a real problem at all.

Other examples are reported on NAS Central. Can someone advise why the Linkstation reports E16 at startup, i.e. what are the conditions for reporting this error?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »

Please Note this is not supported and Telnet is not condoned.  After the TFTP you need to go through the Force Firmware procedure,

aks

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »

Hi, already forced firmware update. The unit boots, shows error 16, but works normally. I ran a disk check from the web interface, then the error is cleared. After a cold reboot, E16 is shown again.

I performed the upgrade procedure with a 500GB WD Green drive, and that worked fine. This suggests that the process I'm using works ok, but the 1TB WD Green WD10EADS-00P8B0 does not work.

When and why does the Linkstation determine that E16 shold be shown?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:41:49 AM »

We cannot determine why.  That is one reason why we do not support the upgrading of the HD's

aks

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:19:57 AM »

Thank you Josh. I understand disk replacement is not supported.

I thought someone [in engineering] might be able to confirm what conditions are checked at statup that could cause the Linkstation to set E16, i.e. since the linkstation is setting E16, what conditions cause it to set that, e.g. disk spinup taking too long = drive not available quickly enough, or whatever. If you have any more checks you'd like me to make here, I can do that.

Meanwhile, I have used a different drive version, and whilst not ideal, it is working. If we can identify the root cause, we will probably help quite a few people...

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »

What are the Specs on both of the HDs?

aks

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 10:39:39 AM »

Showing E16 at cold startup WD10EADS-00P8B0  32MB buffer:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=772

Datasheet:   http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2879-701229.pdf

Working ok with no error reported WD5000AAVS-00ZTB0:  same family, but with 8MB buffer.

Note, if I perform a drive check, it reports drive ok and clears the E16 too. But E16 comes back after cold reboot (warm reboot is ok).

Thanks

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »

Do yo know what the buffer rate was of the original HD?

aks

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »

The original drive was WD2500JS-00NCB1 Caviar (pre-color names, which means it's equivalent to Blue), which I'm pretty sure has an 8MB buffer.  This would perhaps affect overall performance, but I'm not sure how it affects general operation, other than power. The new WD Green drives are supposed to consume less power than the original Caviar drives.

What I would say is that some people have reported successfully upgrading to WD 1TB or 1.5TB Green drives, but the version was not 00P8B0. It suggests to me that this specific version has introduced a weird compatibility issue. Of course, it may be some other near the edge spec issue, that sometimes works and sometimes fails.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 09:41:33 PM »

It would seem that way.  I would suggest trying to get a drive that matches the same specs with the buffer and see where that gets you.

aks

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 09:01:42 AM »

I changed my LS-GL to a WD5000AAVS-00ZTB0 8MB cache which has worked flawlessly since, and I tried a WD7500AADS-00M2B0 32MB cache works ok too. The E16 problem does not seem to be caused by buffer cache size.

Here another user is experiencing similar problems with WD10EADS-00P8B0. It seems like that drive produces E16, unfortunately we don't have enough information to identify the cause.

sovtis

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »

me too:  WD15EADS-00P8B0 does not work after cold power on reboot. After TFTB boot works ok until power off and reboot. Samsung HD501LJ works OK!