Author Topic: TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 firmware for maximum capacity wanted  (Read 11243 times)

eugeneg

• Calf

I have not been able to find a document to tell me the maximum capacity that my TeraStatio n HS-DHTGL/R 5 can handle - where may I find out this information please ?

Is there any (possibly open source) firmware that will increase the capacity to 4 * 2TB ? 

Thanks.

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: TeraStation HS-DHTGL/R5 firmware for maximum capacity wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »
Maximum capacity at that time of sales is 2tb. mine was just 1tb when purchased but funny thing was I tried upgrading to 1.5tb X 4 it works fine for couple of weeks then suddenly, the unit stop responding & shuts down. Replaced all 4X hdds again and ran tftp procedure and same thing happen. Installed back the old 250gb and everything back to normal. Did a lot of tests still can't figure out what actually happen. Anyway now using as 2tb as it's the max it can support.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

Not enough power supplied to handle 2TB drives.

Goron

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »

Simply NOT true!

Just upgraded TS-DHTGL/R5 running 2.14 with 4 * 2 TB WD green: Raid 5 is verifying atm.

Performance of Webinterface is as poor as with original 4 * 1 TB drives :(

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »

I'm not saying you can't try it, and in some chassis it will work - but we didn't design the electrical system to power 4x2TB HDDs. The power could run under the 2TB HDD spec, or cause a failure later with the 2TB HDDs drawing more power than what is available in that unit. The Terastation Live was released with HDDs up to 1TB each - nothing of larger capacity was tested for compatibility with the electrical system.

Goron

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »

Word! Ok, i replaced original 1TB drives with "green" series 2TB hdds. These --should-- consume less power, what could be the reason they were accepted ... atm it´s still verifying the initial build RAID5 ... we´ll see.

As for your advice, i´ll first benchmark and stresstest it, to see if it can provide enough power under load, thx for that hint!!! :)

EDIT:

According to that link: http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:TerastationLive i replaced the drives. I didn´t know larger drives weren´t officially supported ... my fault!

/EDIT