Author Topic: LS-CHL - E06 - Crashes on TFTP?  (Read 7542 times)

oliverhill79

• Calf
LS-CHL - E06 - Crashes on TFTP?
« on: June 24, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »

Hi,

I’ve got a LS-CHL (LS-CH1.0TL-EU), which the other week decided to stop working. I’ve got the E06 (corrupted BIOS) error which would appear fairly common given the number of posts I’ve read about.

First off I’m fairly sure the hard drive itself is still fine. I don’t have a Linux OS on my pc so all I could do was connect it to windows which recognised the partition structure of the drive. Of course I couldn’t do any drive scans so I’m not talking a comprehensive check but it’s obviously still spinning up ok.

Secondly, how do I know if I’ve got a version 1 or version 2 model?

Right into what I’ve done so far....

If I turn on the box normally it will flash blue for a few seconds before then starting the E06 red error flashes.

If I turn on the box with the Function Button pressed the function led flashes blue. If I then press the function button again the main led starts flashing as well. A few seconds later the main light stops flashing blue and then starts reporting the E06.

If when in the E06 state I hold the function button down for a second or two the main LED starts flashing blue, and then stays this way. I’ve left it in this state for over an hour and I’m pretty sure it’s crashed as even the power switch on the back doesn’t turn it off, so I have to pull the power out.

I’ve read through the FAQs and various posts related to this and they all follow the same pattern. Download TFTP Boot Recovery LS-CHL 1.06.exe. I’ve done this and changed my directly connected PC’s IP to 192.168.11.1.

Only when I press the function button when the box is in E06 state does the TFTP app on my PC report that client on 192.168.11.150 has retrieved uImage.buffalo (4133 blocks) and initrd.buffalo (13779 blocks) but this doesn’t seem to make any difference. The device still appears to crash and won’t respond to the power switch.

At no point and in no state can NAS Navigator find the device, nor can I get the ‘ls-chl 107’ bios update program to find a ‘device which requires updating’. I’ve modified the ini file to turn off the version check and used ‘force update’ in the debug menu but this made no difference either, I don’t think the drive is available on the network at all, it doesn’t respond to a ping on 192.168.11.150 for example.

I read (http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/E06-on-LS-CHL-V2-can-t-force-firmware-update/td-p/20542) that I might need to replace the three .buffalo files that come as part of the TFTP 1.06 app with versions in the img files that come with the 1.07 bios but I can’t get to them as the img files are password protected and I can’t find a password that works (I tried ‘buffalo’). The third file u-boot.buffalo doesn’t even seem to come with TFTP app 1.06 – is that what I’m missing?

Does anybody have any ideas? Obviously now that I’ve opened it up Buffalo won’t touch it. If the next step is to check the drive is still ok or rebuilding the drive structure onto a new drive is this something that is realistically possible without having 10 years experience using Linux? Any advice on a good Linux build and any links to instructions on how one might try this would also be appreciated.

Many thanks for reading this far, and any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
Re: LS-CHL - E06 - Crashes on TFTP?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »

Hi.

I'll answer this question.

"how do I know if I’ve got a version 1 or version 2 model?"

If your remember that webadmin style.

Blue style use firmware V.1

Red style use firmware V2

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Firmware-download-locations/m-p/26581#M21049

If you can not remember.

Please see on stick under the box
If the bar-code is printed on MAC address sticker, it is the V2.
No bar-code means the unit is V1.

oliverhill79

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

Thanks Thaitawat, that would make this a LS-CHL V2 then.

Does that make any difference to tht TFTP process?

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »

It same process.

oliverhill79

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »

Ok, I eventually figured this one out.

Becasue the LS-CHL V2 is based on a different chipset to the original LS-CHL the "TFTP Boot Recovery LS-CHL 1.06.exe" does not work. Instead I read somewhere that the LS-CHL V2 shares a similar chipset to the LS-WXL. Therefore I used "TFTP_Boot_Recovery_LS-WXL_1.24.exe" and managed to get it to boot, become available on the network and viewable by NAS Navigator. Annoyingly even though it booted as 192.168.11.150 it then changes to something under 169.254.X.X. Whilst the firmware update software will find the nas box outside the subnet mask it won't update it (even when force is set). Therefore I had to change my pc's IP into the same sub net and it then allowed me to start the updated process. Force update wasn't necessary.

The next problem was that the latest firmware for the LS-CHL V2 on the buffalo site (1.31) didn't seem to work. I tried it a few times but after the initial update it power cycled the nas box and it returned to the E06 state. Using TFTP to boot it again it then flashed orange to signify he bios was updating and power cylcled again back to E06. I tried this a few times but ultimately couldn't get any results. I went back to an earlier firmware (1.26) and this yielded a better result. After the update the nas box power cycled and came back online and completed the firmware update.

I then had to change the web interface language back to english - thankfully there are plenty of posts around telling you what to click on!

So I now have a working nas box again - albeit with a few fairly strange anomalies.

1) It seems to take a lot longer to boot than it used to. About 5 mins. This makes the power saving mode too annoying to use so I have to leave it powered on most of the time.

2) In Nas navigator2 there is no longer an icon to the right of the Hostname and under Product Name is says 'Unknown Series'. It also states that the firmware version is 1.24 although it was 1.26 that I flashed it with.

Anyway, I hope this post helps somebody else.

hdsa

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »

I have the same problem but in my case either v1.26 and 1.31 results in the same.... the nas don´t boot.

I preform the update correctely but when it performs the reboot, the E06 persists... any suggestions?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »

when using FW for a different product line, I'm surprised you didn't brick the unit. You must use the FW intended for the unit and chipset, using other FW immediately voids your warranty.

oliverhill79

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

You definetley have the LS-CHL V2? Red web interface and small bar code on the MAC sticker?

oliverhill79

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:48:16 PM »

drmemory, was that directed at me?

It was only for the TFTP software was I using the wrong chipset version, and this just crashed the unit.

For the firmware both versions I tried are supposed to be for the LS-CHL V2, it's just that the latest one didn't work. Now that it's working again I don't want to rock the boat so I'll leave it as it is!!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

The post was directed at anyone who is thinking about using FW not designed specifically for their unit. Using incorrect FW: voids your warranty, and has a high chance of brickng your unit.

matteo1290

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »

Hello,

I seem to have the same problem as oliverhill79... The TFTP boot recovery doesn't seem to work. I have a LS-CHL (LS-CH2.0TL-EU) and for the boot procedure I'm actually using "TFTP Boot Recovery LS-CHL 1.06" and It doesn't work... What is the probleme? Should I really use another TFTP boot recovery?? Please help I really need some data that is on my Nas.

And what is a FW??

Thanks everyone

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 10:06:46 AM »

FW is short for FirmWare.

You need to use the TFTP that is appropriate for your LS-CHL revision (rev 1 or rev 2). See earlier in this thread to determine which you have.

matteo1290

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:45:54 AM »

I have LS-CHL revision 2

and on this ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/

I don't seem to find the right TFTP boot recovery, so I use this "TFTP Boot Recovery LS-CHL 1.06.exe" and It does not work.... I need help from someone....

Ruatha

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 05:13:13 AM »

Anyone have any answers to this? - seems like TFTP for v2 of  the LS-CHLv2.0TL-EU has just been abandoned by Buffalo.  - Are there any current links to download this?

greenbone1

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 10:05:55 PM »
<p>Hi.</p><p>I'll answer this question.</p><p>"how do I know if I’ve got a version 1 or version 2 model?"</p><p> </p><p>If your remember that webadmin style.</p><p>Blue style use firmware V.1</p><p>Red style use firmware V2</p><p><a href="http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Firmware-download-locations/m-p/26581#M21049" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Firmware-download-locations/m-p/26581#M21049[/url]</p><p> </p><p><span class="short_text"><span>If you can not remember.</span></span></p><p>Please see on stick under the box
If the bar-code is printed on MAC address sticker, it is the V2.
No bar-code means the unit is V1.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

I have an LS-CHL 1T V1, and am having the same problem trying to update the firmware.  The link provided is dead.

Did Buffalo not archive their past firmware updates?