Author Topic: backup a TS II Pro prior to a four disk replacement  (Read 1305 times)

m276527

• Calf
backup a TS II Pro prior to a four disk replacement
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:36:39 PM »

Hi,

We have a Buffalo TSII (TS-H2TGL/R5) and it has been in continuous use for the past three years. As a part of our network maintenance plan, it’s time to replace the HDD's in this machine with new ones. The system has four 500GB drives and it is in RAID 0 mode. We would like to back up all of the data on this TS to another one. We have 5 shared drives on this machine.

The easiest option we see would be to create 5 new shares of the same name on a new TS and then map each source and target drive and robocopy the data, but this would be very slow.

Is there an easier way to accomplish this task? All I would like to do is back up TS #1 and then replace the HDD's and then restore the data back to TS #1 in a manner that would retain the network shares. Additionally, we will would like to reformat the unit to RAID 5 for some redundancy

Thanks!

-Richard

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: backup a TS II Pro prior to a four disk replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:04:18 AM »

There is another way to backup and restore data, and that would be to use a USB drive and run a back up from the TS to the USB drive, than restore from there.  Using the USB method or the TS to TS method will achieve the same goal, but speed is still the question.  Overall a gigabit connection with limited routes through the network will still be faster than a USB connection. Also it is data dependent (i.e. file amount, sizes)

m276527

• Calf
Re: backup a TTS II Pro prior to a four disk replacement
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »

Hi,

Thanks! USB would certainly be easiest. Speed is good, but I could always let it run for a weekend if I needed to.

I inherited this TTS II as a part of the network and I need to confess that I do not understand all of its abilities. Could you point me in the right direction of a process for USB based backup of the complete unit?

Thanks!

-Richard

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: backup a TTS II Pro prior to a four disk replacement
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »

The right direction is fairly easy, within the web interface under disk mgmt there is a disk format option, you will be able to select the USB disk and format as neccessary, (FAT32, XFT, EXT3).  When that is completed, the disk backup option is the next destination; offering up to 8 jobs to be assigned on a schedule of your choosing.