Author Topic: LS-QL/R5 series Quad - upgrade drives - step-by-step instructions for existing RAID 5  (Read 13020 times)

dhackney

• Calf

>> Backup the data stored on the Buffalo NAS LS-QL Quad before you begin. <<

>> This process will destroy all data currently stored on the Buffalo NAS LS-QL Quad. <<

>> This process was tested using an existing RAID 5 configuration. A different process may be required for existing RAID 0, 1 or 10 configurations. <<

As tested scenario:

- NAS: Buffalo LS-QL/R5 Quad

- NAS Model: LS-QL F/W 1.10

- NAS Firmware: 1.10

- NAS existing RAID configuration: RAID 5

- NAS upgrade drives: Hitachi 2TB 7200 HDS722020ALA330

- NAS post upgrade net available capacity RAID 5: 5,835,825,152 kbytes / 5565.48 GB / 5.565 TB

- System OS: Windows 7 64 bit

- System browser: IE 8

- Buffalo NASNavigator2 version: 2.24

Items required:

(1) - NAS: Buffalo LS-QL/R5 Quad

(4) - new upgrade drives (unused or devoid of existing partitions)(must be 7200RPM or greater, SATA)(RAID array size will be determined by the smallest drive, so matching sizes are best, identical drives / matching models are optimum)

(1) - small to medium phillips (cross head) screwdriver

(1) - computer attached to the same network as the NAS that has a functioning copy of Buffalo NASNavigator2 and a functioning web browser

30 to 45 minutes for the physical replacement of the drives

? to 36 hours for the creation and checking of the new RAID array (depends on RAID type and drive size)

? hours/days/weeks to reload the data on the NAS (sure would be faster if we could Direct Copy any type of file/folder to any destination... )

To upgrade drives:

1. The quad is NOT a hot swap-able device. Power down the unit each time before you pull a drive.
  2. The quad keeps its OS on a hidden RAID partition on the drives, so you cannot replace the drives all at once. You must swap them out one-by-one so the OS can rebuild its partition as you swap in one drive at a time.
  3. As you remove each old drive, mark the old drive’s position, e.g. drive #1, drive #2, etc. on the drive itself (not the drive tray) so you can restore the old drive in its correct position if you need to re-install the old drive for any reason during this process.
  4. >> Backup the data from the quad. << This upgrade process will destroy all data on the quad’s old drives.
  5. You can do this in any order, but it is a lot easier if you work sequentially, meaning drive 1,2,3,4 or 4,3,2,1. This example will use 1,2,3,4.
  6. Start NAS navigator
  7. Right click on the quad drive icon you wish to upgrade
  8. Select “web admin”
  9. Using web admin, delete the existing RAID partition(s) on the quad. Click on "disk management," then "RAID setup," then click on the icon next to the existing RAID array, then click on "Change RAID Array," then click on "OK" in the "Remove RAID Array" confirmation dialog box.
  10.  Power down the quad
  11.  Remove and replace drive 1
  12.      Power up the quad
  13.      Wait for the status light to go red
  14.      In web admin, refresh the browser, re-login and select “drive management” then select “disk format”
  15.      In the format target drop down menu, select the drive number you just replaced. Double check that you are formatting the correct drive.
  16.      Click “apply”
  17.      The drive will format very quickly.
  18.      In web admin, click “home” and confirm the new drive appears with its new full capacity.
  19.      Power down the quad
  20.      Remove and replace the next drive in the sequence (1,2,3,4)
  21.  Repeat steps 12-20 until all drives are replaced, one by one. The entire process up to this point will take 30 to 45 minutes if you take your time and are careful.
  22.  Using web admin, select "drive management,” then select “RAID setup;” create the RAID array(s) on the new drives. Creating and checking the new array can take 18 hours or more.
  23.  Once the new RAID array has completed its setup and checking cycle, reload data onto the quad.
  24.  Job complete

This method based on information in this post: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=16016

Jotin

• Big Bull

Upgrading the hard drives will viod the warrenty on this unit.

dhackney

• Calf

re: voiding warranty

Thank you for adding that information. That is a very important consideration to take into account before modifying any product.

My unit was out of warranty at the time, so it wasn't a factor for me. IMO, that should be considered by anyone thinking about modifying a unit that is still within the factory warranty.

FredFredFred

• Calf

If you are upgrading drives to a higher capacity, and the smallest drive is used as a reference point, how will you ever be able to realize the higher capacity of the drives? Also, I'm assuming if you move to a higher capacity, you will need to upgrade all 4 drives? 

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Dustrega

• Big Bull

When a RAID is setup all 4 drives are assessed for what their maximum space is.  The RAID data partition would then be setup based off of the lowest HDD.  Example:

HDD 1: 500 GB

HDD 2: 500 GB

HDD 3: 500 GB

HDD 4: 250 GB

So, in this case the data partition will only be 1 TB (roughly) due to the fact the smallest HDD detected is 250 GB.  Generally, if you upgrade 1 HDD to a higher capacity then all have to be upgraded.

dayoneone

• Calf

Excellent.

I follow your Step-by-Step, I could upgrade my LinkStation QUAD from 1TB to 8TB.

I used all 4x WD20EARS.

I have searched and read alot of instruction from many sites; but, this is the most easiest one.

Thank you for spending extra time to write back this details instruction.

drmemory

• Big Bull

Take in mind that not all HDDs will be able to work - the customization is done at your own risk (and warranty voiding). Some HDDs draw too much power for the existing power supply, or may damage the power supply if they are drawing tooo much current. Best to use HDDs that have a lower power requirement.

szimbler

• Calf

Just to be clear, am I right in saying there is no way to upgrade a raid5 setup on the fly, one drive at a time, while preserving the existing data?

I have a 4TB Quad giving me 2.7TB which is pretty much full. The Quad is by far my largest storage device and although nearly all the data on it already exists elsewhere on my network at least once, I don't have anything large enough to take 2.7TB in one go...who does! So backing up my Quad before I delete the raid is tricky to say the least. If I could slowly upgrade my quad one drive at a time over the next two or three years without loasing my data that woul be perfect. I understand the total available wouldn't increase until all 4 drives are the same (larger) size, but at least it's a way forward that I can handle.

Jotin

• Big Bull

It cannot be done. When you put a larger drive in to the unit and rebuild the RAID array it will only create a partition the same size as the previous drive. The remaining space is inaccessible. Even if you go through all four drives it will do this because of the original RAID array.

hjfcfo

• Calf

Hi,

I'm upgrading from 4x500GB to 4x1TB.  

I have a few questions as to this process, if you don't mind.  

1) What happens to the existing setup information as to shares, users, ftp, etc. in this process?  Is it carried over or does it have to be recreated?

2) Also, can the current data on the LS-QL be backed up to a 2tb drive connected to the USB port on the LS-QL, and then restored from there, or is it better to be backed up to another usb drive attached to a USB Port on the computer?

3) Is there a program you can recommend that can backup (and later on restore) the image of the existing drive rather than the data, share by share, folder by folder, e.g. Acronis True Image Home?

Many thanks.

hjfcfo

• Calf

I followed your instructions upgrading from 4x500gb to 4x1tb.  Everything seemed fine until I installed the last of the 4 drives.  The last drive is not being recognized.  flashiing red lights, 6x.  I returned the last drive and exchanged it thinking it was the 4th disk drive.  I installed the replacement drive, and same thing, flashing red x6.  Can't initiate web admin.  Not sure what to do.  

HELP!  Please?  

hjfcfo

• Calf

I tried formatting the 4th 1tb disk drive in the 3rd drive position, with the 4th original 500gb drive in the 4th position.  The disk drive formetted successfully.  I then left that drive in the 3rd position and replaced the 4th drive with the prteviously formatted 3rd 1tb drive in the 4th position.  Sames result - 6 flashes, 4th drive spinning as if it is not readable.  I used the same WD Caviar Blue disk drives for this, except 2x the size/drive

HELP! PLEASE??!!!

Jotin

• Big Bull
Sounds like that slot is defective.

hjfcfo

• Calf

Thanks for the reply.

That slot works fine when the old disk is reinserted.  (3 new 1tb drives in slots 1, 2 and 3, and the original drive 4 500gb in slot 4.  

The new 1tb drive that is not being recognized in slot 4 now worked fine when it was in slot 3.

hjfcfo

• Calf

I've tried every possible alternative, I think to get this to work:

I reversed the process and had all 4 original .5GB drives in the unit, working, and all 4 were recognized with no RAID.  I reformatted each of those drives in order to make that work (since none of them were initially re-recognized has being formatted after the RAID 5 was deleted.)

I then inserted a 1TB drive in slot 4, and it was not recognized.  (6 red flashes).  This drive had been  previously recignized in slot 3.  I tried 2 different 1TB drives in slot 4, which  been previously recognized in slots  2 and 3, and none were  recognized in slot 4.  I've deduced that slot 4 only works with the original slot 4 .5GB disk, and with no other disk.  I previously had slots 1, 2 and 3 working with new 1TB drives, and the original .5gb drive in slot 4.  I am thoroughly baffled by this.  Am I missing something?  I think I need to return all 4 new drives and just buy a new 4TB unit at this point, unless uou have another idea.  

I last shot - can you think of any possible alternative?  

The 4 new 1TB drives are all formatted (XFS) and have worked in slots 1,2 and 3, but not is slot 4.  

I've not reset the system to factory default.  I still have the users in there.  

HELP!  Please...