Author Topic: General questions about the LinkStation Mini and Duo  (Read 3783 times)

zaher

• Calf
General questions about the LinkStation Mini and Duo
« on: June 10, 2010, 02:58:30 PM »

Hello

I was reading the manual of LinkStation Duo and got some questions to double check some info:

1. The LinkStation Mini and LinkStation Duo can backup THEIR data to a USB drive plugged to the LinkStation USB port on scheduled basis, correct?

2. There is really no need to use NAS Navigator2 to map the drives, it is doable using the regual method of Windows, correct?

3. How do I set folder permissions in case I join the LinkStation to the domain? Is there some interface that reads the Active Directory users? any screenshots?

4. Will these drives authenticate the logged on domain users to their mapped drives automatically?

5. Any screenshots/manual about joining the LinkStation to the domain? I found nothing in the manuals.

Thank you

zaher

• Calf
Re: General questions about the LinkStation Mini and Duo
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:10:13 AM »

Sorry for the double post, but I'd like to add two questions:

1. Is the drive compatible with passwords having symbols in them? (#$&%@!*) Here I am speaking about its own accounts passwords and active directory accounts passwords.

2. Has the problem of Win 7 compatibility finally solved?

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:12:58 AM »

1. The LinkStation Mini and LinkStation Duo can backup THEIR data to a USB drive plugged to the LinkStation USB port on scheduled basis, correct? That is correct, from daily to monthly

2. There is really no need to use NAS Navigator2 to map the drives, it is doable using the regual method of Windows, correct?  For drive mapping it is not req'd, used to find unit initially, and any maintenance

3. How do I set folder permissions in case I join the LinkStation to the domain? Is there some interface that reads the Active Directory users? any screenshots?  Folder permissions are set between  read and read/write selected by folder, when setting up AD you input settings that will link to AD and pull the users/groups/and security policies.

4. Will these drives authenticate the logged on domain users to their mapped drives automatically? It can do that as seeing it pulls the AD settings, exception being folders created on the device itself will need manual settings.

5. Any screenshots/manual about joining the LinkStation to the domain? I found nothing in the manuals. The joining process is straight forward, WINS server, domain name, address, admin name and password

6. Is the drive compatible with passwords having symbols in them? (#$&%@!*) Here I am speaking about its own accounts passwords and active directory accounts passwords. The device does not like symbols in the password, just alpha numeric values only

7. Has the problem of Win 7 compatibility finally solved? There was never a real compatability problem with W7, it is just security level settings with the LM, NTLM, and firewall settings.  Just need to check the levels within your network for proper settings

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:48:31 AM »

Thank you for your reply.

4. Will these drives authenticate the logged on domain users to their mapped drives automatically? It can do that as seeing it pulls the AD settings, exception being folders created on the device itself will need manual settings. I am looking to create a folder for each AD user, and give him/her permissions to read/write. I suppose that when creating a folder on an AD joint LinkStation, I will be able to assign AD users to this folder, correct?

6. Is the drive compatible with passwords having symbols in them? (#$&%@!*) Here I am speaking about its own accounts passwords and active directory accounts passwords. The device does not like symbols in the password, just alpha numeric values only. What if my AD users have symbols in their passwords, does that mean they will not be able to access their folders on the LinkStation?

Thank you

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »

4. Will these drives authenticate the logged on domain users to their mapped drives automatically? It can do that as seeing it pulls the AD settings, exception being folders created on the device itself will need manual settings. I am looking to create a folder for each AD user, and give him/her permissions to read/write. I suppose that when creating a folder on an AD joint LinkStation, I will be able to assign AD users to this folder, correct? That is correct you can assign a folder per user on the linkstation

6. Is the drive compatible with passwords having symbols in them? (#$&%@!*) Here I am speaking about its own accounts passwords and active directory accounts passwords. The device does not like symbols in the password, just alpha numeric values only. What if my AD users have symbols in their passwords, does that mean they will not be able to access their folders on the LinkStation?  if there are special characters they will need to be removed, the OS of the Linkstation does not support special characters, so any password containing special characters will need to be modified

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:09:24 AM »

6. Is the drive compatible with passwords having symbols in them? (#$&%@!*) Here I am speaking about its own accounts passwords and active directory accounts passwords. The device does not like symbols in the password, just alpha numeric values only. What if my AD users have symbols in their passwords, does that mean they will not be able to access their folders on the LinkStation?   if there are special characters they will need to be removed, the OS of the Linkstation does not support special characters, so any password containing special characters will need to be modified. That's a big limitation especially for businesses, will any OS upgrade address this issue? One of the reasons why I am switching is because the existing drive I have doesn't support symbols. (It doesn't accept ALL symbols?)

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »

6. Is the drive compatible with passwords having symbols in them? (#$&%@!*) Here I am speaking about its own accounts passwords and active directory accounts passwords. The device does not like symbols in the password, just alpha numeric values only. What if my AD users have symbols in their passwords, does that mean they will not be able to access their folders on the LinkStation?  if there are special characters they will need to be removed, the OS of the Linkstation does not support special characters, so any password containing special characters will need to be modified. That's a big limitation especially for businesses, will any OS upgrade address this issue? One of the reasons why I am switching is because the existing drive I have doesn't support symbols. (It doesn't accept ALL symbols?) It does not accept any symbols, as of current have not heard of any plans to upgrade this,I will send an email to inquire if this is a possiblility in the future and post here the response that I get

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »

SAMBA, used in several of our products,  does not allow special characters. For business users wanting special characters for seamless AD integration, we released the TeraStation™ WSS - WS-QL/R5  Windows Storage Server.

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »

Thank you  AngelsAbyss.

drmemory wrote:

SAMBA, used in several of our products,  does not allow special characters. For business users wanting special characters for seamless AD integration, we released the TeraStation™ WSS - WS-QL/R5  Windows Storage Server.

We are a small business, we don't have more than 30 employees, so we don't need the TeraStation.

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »

New question

Does the LinkStation have any problem when it comes to Windows syncing offline files (make files available offline)? especially on Windows Vista and Windows 7 given their indexing service?

N.B. Active Directory user will be given full permissions to a shared folder on the LinkStation, and the folder is mapped to his/her computer where he/she logs in using her AD account.

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »

Sorry but anyone?

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:24 AM »

Anyone, please my purchase in hanging on this fact.

zaher

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »

New question

Does the LinkStation have any problem when it comes to Windows syncing offline files (make files available offline)? especially on Windows Vista and Windows 7 given their indexing service?

N.B. Active Directory user will be given full permissions to a shared folder on the LinkStation, and the folder is mapped to his/her computer where he/she logs in using her AD account.

Buffalo team, anyway?