Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WX can't join AD  (Read 1417 times)

mickgeorge

• Calf
Linkstation Duo LS-WX can't join AD
« on: May 29, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

Have followed (I think) all of the advice I can find anywhere but am still unable to join the above to my Windows 2008 AD. The device (NAS) has a computer account (pre Win 2000), entries in DNS and marked as trusted for delegation. DNS A & PTR records have also been setup. I'm using the default  Domain Admin account for authentication.

The time zone on the AD DC is set at GMT (although we're currently on +1hr due to DST). I've tried numerous configurations on the Linkstation, all of which result in failed authentication attempts; the only difference being that if I set the Linkstation to GMT +1 and manually set the time, the connection attempt doesn't fail (although neither do I see a confirmation window either) but once apparently completed does advise me that the session has timed out. Upon logging back into the Linkstation, the local time has set put itself forward 1 hour (which I assume is the reason the session times out) and of course then the AD authentication is no longer working as the times are too far out of sync - this only happens when the auhentication error message hasn't appeared prior to reboot. I thought perhaps the device was taking the time from the DC and pushing it forward 1 hour as the time zones are different by 1 hour (I tried disabling the w32time service on the DC, but that didn't help either). All other combinations fail to authenticate.

Firmware is 1.26. Have tried configuring from W7 64bit and W2008R2 boxes, although assume client O/S not too relevant? NETBIOS name is xxx-xxxxx, AD Domain name is xxx-xxxxx.lan, AD DC xxxroot1. I've used the default AD DA account, Adminstrator and put the IP of the DC into the WINS box. No idea what else to try really, other than boxing it back up and returning to the supplier.

Any ideas anyone? 

Oh, and no special characters in the password

jo342

• Global Moderator
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WX can't join AD
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »

Is the default Domain Admin account 'Administrator'? This can cause redundancy issues.

mickgeorge

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WX can't join AD
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:36:50 AM »

Hi,

I've tried it with both the standard Administrator account and password and a different Domain Admin account; results are the same either way. I can see the device successfully being issued with a Kerberos ticket in the Event log, but nothing after that.

Buffalo support has (unsurprisingly, but disappointingly) suggested it's a problem with the AD, which I suppose it may be, but if so, I'd love to understand why this results in the time clock on the Linkstation automatically setting itself forward by 1 hour..

Regards,

Mick