Author Topic: DLNA compatibility ?  (Read 69342 times)

sdhillon

• Calf
Re: DLNA compatibility ?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 01:46:15 AM »
   Dreamfox, based on what I have seen and read so far, I would hold tight until we see a fix come out for the current DLNA problems.  I am also looking to buy the 4308 receiver to  be honest, but I can't even get this to work with a PS3 so far on a consistent basis. 

edd

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 11:24:17 AM »

Paul,

You promised an update (information update, not software update) from Buffalo in mid December.  We are past that.  

Please present some evidence that this is not a delay/stall tactic.

-Ed

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »
I am currently waiting for an update, as soon as I receive it I will have it posted.

cjbrown80

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »

Paul,

Thank you for your continued support on this forum. I have owned an LSLive500gb since July. I have been continually reading this forum and checking to see if there is a fix for this DLNA to PS3 issue. I understand that you are doing your job and again, thank you for that. Please direct some senior manager or decision-maker to this post so they can read it.

One of my best friends is a writer/reviewer for a MAJOR technology magazine. Obviously, I shouldn't mention which one specifically so please don't ask, but I assure you, tens of thousands of people read it, ALL of them potential Buffalo customers for your NAS products. I just got off the phone with my buddy, and he has agreed to review one of the Linkstation products some time in the first quarter of 2009. If this issue is not resolved by the time he submts said review, he is going to BLAST Buffalo and this product line quite ferociously.  It is wrong to advertise these devices as being DLNA compatible when in fact they are not. Making customers wait for almost a YEAR for compliance to this is RIDICULOUS.

Buffalo has alway seemed to be a great company with great products, giving consumers a very usable alternative to all the junk on the market from companies like WesternDigital.  Don't let this reputation be soiled. All it takes is a salary for one programmer to sit with this firmware and re-write it for the DLNA compatibility. How is that not worth it to please all of your loyal customers?? Added bonus: if there is a fix, that can be advertised and word will spread on these forums that the Linkstation family works with the PS3 and they will sell like hotcakes!

I realize that you aren't the guy writing the firmware, so please pass this along to someone who will read it and act upon it.

Thank you for your time

-C

Jago

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »

Just to add, I bought my 1tb Linkstation Live in Jan 08, the streaming to ps3 function has never worked properly. other programs like tversity fix it but this means that i am halving my bandwidth as it has to go to a server then back

i.e PS3 -> server -> LSL -> server -> ps3

instead of just LSL to PS3.

its crap and it needs fixing, i know there is a 2.16fw which has been out months which was never released to the public.

fix this issue or you could find yourself with a class action lawsuit against you.

all we want is a DLNA client that works, even if it means a free concessionary license for twonky (like on other buffalo products) to get these things working

micjust

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »

Hi there, 

Again thank you Paul for hanging in this forum and giving some hope to still existing "Buffalo fans".

I have had my LSL500 from the first early days when it came to market and I was very thrilled to by this dlna device (not PC) to give media files to my Nokia N95 as it is supporting dlna too. So, after a long period of not believing that LSL would not be 100% dlna device my good feelings towards Buffalo started to gray down. I also have bought the first version of AirStation WBR-G54 and an still using it! I have also got many of my frieds to buy AirStations and some also bought the LSL for getting dlna spinning around their homes... but then I started to hear their side of experiences with PS3... not so nice to her as I had said that Buffalo is the best!

Now this Christmas I bought the PS3 too and at the moment I'm pulling my hair to get even some media files through to my PS3... well, just gues how succesfull I have been? ... not even single file comes through. I hoped to get some files through as I managed to get to My Nokia N95 once.

So, I really hope that this message goes as top as it can and the new firmaware would be out before I go back to office after this Christmas break.

Don't let us down Buffalo! 

bigrob

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 06:48:57 AM »
   It seems we are being really optimistic to get a resolve on this L I have had a lot of contact with Buffalo, and within these threads it’s true to see they have openly agreed that these units, don’t work specifically with the ps3,but claim to have DLNA compatibility on all other devices. I have spoken to Sony re this problem also whom claim the responsibility to be with Buffalo. I would be thankful if someone within Buffalo could give us some update? some feedback?  There is a lot of these units people have, and they would have purchased them for use with the PS3. Just from reading this forum, and watching the posts, there hasn’t been anything back from Buffalo, other than to say your waiting a response from them. Some people have been waiting weeks, some months, some over a year... When is enough, enough...... Many Thanks a Concerned Buffalo owner

willgar

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »

Spent a long time reading up on products ahead of purchasing a DNLA compliant NAS for my PS3. Buffalo's DNLA server is created by PacketVideo and is based on a product from TwonkyMedia, a german company it aquired a few years back. The slowness of Buffalo to deliver a fix for these issues is probably due to having to wait for a thirdparty supplier (Packetvideo) to sort out the issue and supply a new firmware update.

PacketVideo (ala twonkymedia) supply this DLNA server technology to a number of vendors so i would guess Buffalo need to just take a ticket and wait. Unfortunetly, these forums make a prespective customer wary of buying kit that claims to provide a streaming source for the ps3 that clearly does not work very well -  based on the number of complaints in this forum and reviews.

Anyway, i dont think Buffalo products are alone in this situtation and based on the price of the Linkstation - it seems like a pretty good investment. Alsothe last version of Twonkymediia (v5) actually does work very well with the PS3 so by logical conclusion - It will finally get implemented in the linkstation range.

josh123guy

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »

Just got a Linksys mini for christmas and only now finding out about this DLNA business.  It's a load of false advertising!  I can't get anything but buffalo's DLNA clients to properly connect. I too have been a faithful buffalo client with WPA-G54's and others still operating.  I have previously recommended your products BUT am serously reconsidering. If you want to wear the DLNA badge you gotta play by the rules...quit messing around before someone decides to start a lawsuit.

Mav3000

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 06:15:22 AM »

Hi, I have a Linkstation Live 1tb (LS-CH1.0TL-EU). I have it connected wirelessly via a 54mbps router to my PS3. When I originally bought the Live, it connected fine and was able to stream music and video to the PS3 without any problems.

Seemingly out of the blue, I now turn on my PS3 to see approximately every 10 seconds, my PS3 show a DLNA error, and that it has been 'disconnected from the media server'. The Live immediately re-connects, and I am able to browse its folders without problems, but for only 10 seconds at a time!

The DLNA errors that the PS3 states vary between several, but the end result is always the same. This is particularly frustrating because the Live did work perfectly, but now cannot be used for its intended purpose.

Buffalo Tech Support suggested fixing the Live's IP address and refreshing the Media Database - which I have done, but this did nothing unfortunately.

Can anyone else help with my problem?

Thanks, Richard

say170

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »
   I too have recently purchased a LSL for DLNA compatability only to find that PCAST doesn't work.  I've installed Twonky, but this doesn't work properly - and - it appears that PV (who own Twonky) are NOT supporting NAS devices any more and the download links are now removed from their site.   If Buffalo are stating that the device is compatible when it isn't, then that's blatently wrong.  Maybe we should all request that the compatibility details shown on the DLNA site are removed.  If Buffalo lose their accreditation, then maybe that might be impotus for them to fix the fundamental bug.

cjbrown80

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »

Mav-

You're having the same DLNA issue as the rest of us. The firmware Buffalo has for these things SUCKS. It is totally conflicting with the PS3. The only thing we can do is sit back and hope they remedy it.

Message Edited by Paul on 12-30-2008 09:51 AM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 09:55:33 AM »

Our corporate office has requested more information on this issue.

we invite all customers with DLNA issues to post screenshots/firmware rev, and hardware. We'll gather the info in the US, and the info will assist in making faster firmware updates for DLNA. DLNA is constantly evolving with new versions and requires constant updates on all vendor's equipment.

Please post as much information as possible, 

model numbers

firmware versions 

screen shots 

detailed descriptions of errors and issues. 

say170

• Calf
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »

Box:        HS-DH500GL

Firmware: 2.10

LinkStation Name:  NAS-DRIVE
LinkStation Description:  LinkStation NAS-Drive

PCast settings:
Media Servers: Enable
Media Folder: MyMP3s/MyMP3s - "USB Disk" ticked
PCast Password: Disable
Limit DLNA Client Access: Enable (device chosen)
Update Media List: Automatic Update

Symptom: Onkyo TX-NR905 Receiver lists NAS-DRIVE, but each category out of the 6 (eg Album) shows 0/0 files.  The Onkyo has been added into the list of DLNA clients.  Onkyo is FW 1.08 (latest)

Let me know if you need more information, and what you require.
Message Edited by say170 on 01-01-2009 10:07 AM

nyarrgh

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »

Box:        HS-DH500GL

Firmware: 2.10

LinkStation Name:  JNAS

LinkStation Description:  LinkStation NAS-Drive
PCast settings:
Media Servers: Enable
Media Folder: Media
PCast Password: Disabled
Limit DLNA Client Access: Disabled
Update Media List: Automatic Update
Symptom: PS3 lists NAS-DRIVE, but each category shows 0/0 files.  The XBOX360 doesn't see the NAS drive