Author Topic: DLNA compatibility ?  (Read 69325 times)

elz64

• Calf
DLNA compatibility ?
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »

Hi,

I just setup a linkstation Mini.

I wasn't able to use the agent that never see any Nas on the lan. Stange because afaik, there's no more Firewall on the pc...

Anyway, the web mode is ok and i use it fine, add some permanent attachement thru smb, etc  untill I tried to plays 'media server' to get music files on my PS3.

The Nas is seen,  but it display no files.

I copy a lot of folders and various music files (mp3, wma and wav) into the Nas /share folder under a subfolder /music I created

The ps3 display all sub folders (mostly folders are artists's name) but there's nothing to play,  no files are listed.

Any clue ?

Thank you

Ferret

• Calf
Re: DLNA compatibility ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »

UPDATE:  I'm a n00b, was trying to play MP3s from within the Video tab on the PS3.  Switched to MP3, tried one or two times, then the file played just fine...occasional "file type not supported" error even though trying again would work.  Meh...can only get better from here I would suppose.  :-)

I have the same problem.

My PS3 recognizes my Link Station Mini, and it displays all of the subfolders within the music folder that I created as a shared folder on the LS Mini, but there are "no titles" or playable files within these folders.  Browing from a PC, however, MP3s are stored in all of these folders and play perfectly over the network.

Is there something that can be changes in the PS3 or on the LS Mini to allow for the MP3 files within each of the subfolders to be seen/played?

Thanks!  :-)

Message Edited by Ferret on 12-04-2008 10:26 PM
Message Edited by Ferret on 12-04-2008 10:26 PM

elz64

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »

up..

Hellooooo  .. anybody from Buffalo around here ???????

I thought it was a technical support forum led by the manufacturor of a product I bought ..

strange isnt'it ?

thedealman

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
   When is the firmware update coming ??????????

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
Buffalo is currently working on firmware, I will try to find a release date and post on this thread

elz64

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 03:14:14 AM »

Does it mean the firmware will solve the issue -

you still did not reply

thank you

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »
Buffalo is working on a firmware that will resovle the PS3 issues.  At this time I do not have a release date.

me713

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
   I have a PS3 with a LinkStation Live 500GB and have the same issues as the others ... Please fix this since this is the reason that I bought the NAS!

bigrob

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 03:12:08 PM »

I have a ps3 and have the same problem with my linkstation live its been going on for months i now turned off my drive as it hold no use 

do we know why the fix is taking so long, no one seems to want to support dlna?

edd

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

There was another thread on this exact issue whcih has been temporarily removed by the moderator, pending a response from "corporate".

I have also contacted the DLNA association and they report that this is a known incompatibility that is under investigation.  I asked why these devices are being listed on their site as compatible when they clearly are not compatible. In the removed thread I had postulated that if the incompatibility is on the BUFFALO side, then they should not be advertising their products as compatible with all DLNA-certified devices.

Rumor has it that a firmware is in the works that will fix this issue, but it has been over a year since the last firmware....  Here is hoping for a reasonable response from corporate to this issue which, likely, will only get more press until resolved.

bigrob

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 05:37:54 AM »

Thanks for the info, I have had mine for over a year and indeed looked into the dlna compat between all of it, I purchased a home plug and a switch to help keep the nas separate and out the way, spent hours trying to get it working one day it would find 25 of the thousands of mp3 then it won't find any, now it doesn't find any file, photo, mp3 vid nothing at all. to say in invested a lot of time and money would be an understatement. Where I work we sell these units and I have had some direct link with Buffalo, but even with this no resolve.

I can't get a refund but I know of other devices that do work, but am stuck with the linkstation live.

I do think the unit itself is good and every part of it works well until you come to ps3.

If it's run via a pc it works well, but then what is the point of the nas, and the network traffic is silly. Pulling info from the nas to a pc then to the ps3.

I do hope for some good outcome in the not so distant future.

elz64

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »

edd wrote:

There was another thread on this exact issue whcih has been temporarily removed by the moderator, pending a response from "corporate".

This is interresting. You'll probaly be 'happy' to know I bought it 2 weeks ago (when I initiated this thread) when this product line was just being released in France. The dlna marketing is going on here (Tv, external HD and many other homme devices for Xmas...), believe me.

So are not we far from somekind of 'swindle' ?  The use of official label is not regulated in U.S ??

hmmm... smell bad.

I did not bought the link station mini especially for dlna anyway, but taking in account the poor software bundle (memobackup DEMO 30days) and now the pseudo dlna compatibilty, this was maybe not the best buy I was expected..

Message Edited by elz64 on 12-15-2008 05:27 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »
The Memeo 30 day trial comes with a key to enable the software.  The exe file is a trial but again use the key to unlock the 30 day trial.  If you did not get a key please contact info@buffalotech.com

Nukeman10

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:04:24 AM »
   I also purchased my Linkstation Live for DLNA support to my PS3. Says it right there on the box, "Stream Your Music, Photos and Movies to ANY DLNA CERTIFIED Media Player". Just checked the DLNA site and the PS3 is certified. So what's the deal???

I'd consider the fact that DLNA doesn’t work properly to be fraud with how long this is taking to fix. A year since the last FW? I work for an NAS appliance vendor and it doesn't take this long to get FW fixes out. We don't need Buffalo to reinvent the wheel here, just fix the darn DLNA support, and maybe some of those other untested foul-ups. It should NOT be advertised in any way if it does not work. Mine hasn't worked since I bought it. I am running a 120 day trial of Windows Home Server and it DOES work with the PS3.

Come on Buffalo, lets get your act together...Don't ruin your rep over this. Bad news travels fast..

-N 

lewis99

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »

OK been playing around with a new linkstation live 1tb with PS3 60GB and have found a temporary workaround for missing content issue on the PS3.

First you need to refresh the linkstation database

1.  Create a new share on the linkstation (keep this share empty) 

2.  Disable the media server and then point it to the new empty share, tag reinitialize the database and select refresh now.

3.  When server comes back up check on the PS3 that all content has been removed (3-5 mins).

Now to get the content back

4. Disable the media server and point it back to your original share (ie where your media files are located)

5. Tag reinitialize database, and select refresh now, but also change the refresh interval to 600 from the default.

6. Now wait for several hours. I have alot of media files (around 400gb of .mp3, jpg, mpg) and it took overnight to refresh the database fully).  Note you will need to ensure that the power switch is set to on and not auto during this process.

After three days of messing around I managed to get all of my content on the PS3.  Hope this works for others.