Author Topic: DLNA compatibility ?  (Read 69529 times)

jfourman

• Calf
Re: DLNA compatibility ?
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

I have 2 of the "early" TS Lives. The 2.14 firmware works fine.

Go to this link, select TeraStation Live from the "Product Name" drop down. Forget about the "Product Model" drop down. Download and install firmware version 214_102. Viola! You are now a happier camper.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/

The ARM9 processor in all models of the TS Lives is the same. I would assume that Buffalo is eliminating the 1TB and 2TB models because the cost of drives with higher capacity is dropping so there is little demand for the lower capacity drives on a high-end NAS.

EDIT: shaneman: I may have misunderstood your previous post. Is your TS a TeraStaion Live or a TeraStation or a TeraStation Home Server? If it is not a TeraStation Live, you are correct. The original TS has a PowerPC processor and cannot be upgraded with the same firmware as the TS Live; but there are firmware upgrades available on the link above for these models as well.

Message Edited by jfourman on 01-24-2009 12:38 PM
Message Edited by jfourman on 01-24-2009 12:58 PM
Message Edited by jfourman on 01-24-2009 01:01 PM

fab1963

• Calf
Re: DLNA compatibility across Wifi Network
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »

I have a Buffalo LSCHL F/W 1.02 and the DLNA server works fine on the ethernet side of my NETGEAR router (CVG834G). The LSCHL is connected on the ethernet side. A PC or an XBOX360 when on the ethernet side can see the LSCHL and the content of the media server with itunes for instance.

When the same PC is connected to the wifi side (same network), then the PC can see the shared folders and their content without problem but not the content of the DLNA server, itune detects the server but it appears emty.

It looks as if the router was filtering some traffic between the ethernet side and the wifi side of my Lan!

I saw many forums with people having this type of problem but could not find a solution.

Anyone has a clue?

Thanks

Fabrice

pharaoh

• Calf
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »

Yes it is DLNA compatible

I haven't tried it with a Denon receiver but it sure works with many other products.  Go ahead and get a refurbished unit from Ecost.com for $68 (500GB) and try it for yourself.

You need to know what you are doing with networking in order for the Denon to see the LinkStation and you must have your router assign fixed IP addresses for both unit so they can always see each other without interruption.  If you don't have networking expereince, you will get frustrated and you will spend late night hours trying to figure out what you did wrong.

Good luck and let us know how this worked out for you and feel free to ask questions

Techstep

• Calf
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »
   Is there a fix for the Xbox360 in the future? Every website besides Buffalo's lists the Linkstation Live as Xbox360 compatible. It's a little misleading. Seems the PS3 is doing quite well. But, for the large percentage of people that don't have one it's not very pleasing.

greatzano

• Calf
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »

Hi, I am a newbie at this and I hope someone can help me.  I have a HS-DH320GL - have been using it as a music NAS connecting to a DENON 3808 amp.  Seems to work but have two problems 1) the Denon seems to lose the directory structure every so often.  It can see the HS but not files and 2) the Denon cannot display photo or play video.  Do I need to hack it or upgrade to 2.11?  I am now running 2.10.

Thanks a lot for your help

elz64

• Calf
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:42 AM »

Hi all,

I 'd never thought my thread would have such success.

However, I'm still waiting for real answer from Buffalo about LS mini <-> PS3 DLNA compatibility

monthes are passing by....

>: °((

greatzano

• Calf
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »

Hi, I have upgraded to 2.11 and things seem to run better now.  The Denon amp can see the directories and play .wmv files.  But strangely, it can't see all the directories.  I used PCast to refresh and flash the database but no change.  The software is flaky - can I get some real support?  Paul?

Thanks

telcosoft

• Calf
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »

Just bought HS-DH500GL solely for storage and connection to PS3. So far, what a waste. Running 2.60 firmware on PS3. Did the 2.11 update on the linkstation, since it "said" that is what it fixed. 

I can see the drive and what seems to be 10 or so random pictures, but nothing else.   

Called support and they said Sony is working on it since it's their firmware 2.60 that broke it again.

But I also have a Mac with a demo of Nullriver MediaLink running on it.  I turn this on(30 min limit on demo) and it works like a charm.  Pulls up the Nullriver MediaLink right under my Linkstation name in the PS3 menu and I can see on my PS3 every photo/vid/mp3 that is on my Mac.  

So I fail to see how the PS3 DLNA is not working.

Too bad I have to keep my Mac on and use it's hard drive, to use Nullriver solution.   

Ucicelos

• Calf
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »

Hi guys,

Wow this is a very long thread, now it would sound bad if i said that most of you are missing something...so I would say maybe i got a very god unit.

i had to spend some time configuring everything but the Linkstation DLNA works pretty much flawlessly with my ps3, haven't tried with a receiver so can't speak for that.

as for the videos it plays most of the videos and ones that it doesn't play are actually not supported by ps3, confirmed that by using tversity on my pc....

so stop bashing the poor company and maybe try to fix the network, one solution would be to upgrade the firmware on router, before i upgraded the router, starting access on ps3 would reset the router...causing everything to disconnect...

just my 2 cents 

mmmBuff

• Calf
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

In terms of support, the company fully deserves to be bashed.  I posted a very simple question on this forum (What file types are supported by PCast?) at least a month ago and it has yet to be answered.

I have a Linkstation Live HS-DH50GL with firmware version 2.11.  Using iTunes on my WinXP laptop, I can see the Linkstation as a shared device and I can see all the audio files, but I do not see any video files.  Nor can I see anything on the Linkstation from my xBox360.

I have no expectations that anyone from Buffalo will even address this post.  I assume they ignore such posts because they are aware of the bugs and they have no fixes available.

-Very unhappy customer.

elz64

• Calf
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2009, 01:58:46 AM »

I'm sorry but my  very first post that iniated this thread concerned only my linkSattion Mini that still not shows any files to PS3.

Many people have the same issue, but it looks there's actually no official support from Buffalo, this newsgroup looks like being only a playground where customer can express themselves; a kind of therapy group, but there's nothing in front

Message Edited by elz64 on 03-16-2009 08:51 AM

telcosoft

• Calf
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2009, 03:19:32 PM »

I have sent emails and calls into MacroVision(company that bought Mediabolic, maker of the media server), DLNA.org, and of course Buffalo.  Next one will probably be the BBB, although seems Buffalo blows them off also. 

4 calls into support. Here's their story and they like to stick to it.  I wish I was making this up.  

1st "it's Sony's fault, always is"

2nd "yeah it's too bad, we know it's broke, but I'm not allowed to get information to or from engineering".

3rd. "As long as the PS3 sees the Linkstation, it's working, it's the PS3s fault that it can't see the files."

4th. "Send an email to info@buffalotech.com and wait for new firmware update, hopefully they'll make one"  seems like odd email address for support group(blew me off?).  btw, did that, no response.  

BTW Along with Nullriver's MediaLink running on my Mac, I also tried Twonky on my Mac and it also turns my Mac into a funtional DLNA media server that the PS3 has no problems with.  Both work like a charm.  Would love to try Twonky on the Linkstation, but of course can't telnet into it to get it installed.  For you kids out there though, don't try that at home even if you could, you will void your "warranty".   

As elz64 mentioned, therapy session over for me today.     

telcosoft

• Calf
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

What file types/extensions does the Mediabolic software on the linkstation try to index for pics/music/video? Is there anyone out there running PS3 firmware 2.60 and Linkstation Live 2.11 firmware(both the latest stuff) and can see the videos?  What are the file types? 

Yesterday's Buffalo experience,

1st call). "Did a force update of firmware as directed last night, didn't change anything, DLNA still not working for video's at all, what more can I try?"  CLICK hung up on me.  

2nd. What video formats does it try to index?  No answer.  "Sir, there are no known issues with the Linkstation and DLNA."  But a minute or so later said he was sure engineering was working on it.  What more can I do, I asked?  He sent me over to Sales dept.

Spoke with someone who seemed to care, said I would get call back that day, from someone after they looked into it.  Nothing yet.  

I have been calm and perfectly cordial in my calling and trying to get any help from support, but it is taking a toll on my nerves.  I just want to scream. It's like entering an episode of the twilight zone.  I just want direction on what more I can try, or troubleshoot, and some spec information so I can further try to figure it out for myself.  I used to support UNIX servers with Oracle and many apps integrated with them.  I like to test but throw me a bone here.  What files types have you tested with in your lab?  Even though I was told you only test with Buffalo products, it still might help.  Please, someone in support has to have enough pride and ethics to at least tell us the truth.  I should have known from that sigh at the mention of DLNA on that first call to support that this might not be good, but wow didn't expect this.  

elektroorganik

• Calf
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

I turned my linkstation (HS-DH500GL) off over a year ago when I spent countless nights in front of my laptop trying to get my ps3 to play just a single video pr mp3, and to no avail. I couldn't even sell the thing on ebay! As i felt guilty about giving it to someone. 

Now I've seen the new firmware update (2.11) which supposedly fixes the issue. so I spend another day trying to get the firmware updater to work. Turn the PS3 on and..... NOTHING! It can see that I've got a linkstation but it wont let me see or play any files of any sort. I can't simply spend any more days doing this!!

It's a waste of time buying one of these products. If I wanted a hard drive, i would have bought one at a fraction of the price i bought my linkstation for. I'm so annoyed that I'm going down this route again a year after I tried so desperately to sort it out last time. I wish I had bought a different product - media server, one that works!

When will they finally sort this issue out? What a company!!!

Is there any one out there that has installed the latest firmware 2.11 on the live linkstation and their PS3 doesn't even read a single file?

Please help me. I'm going MAD!!!! again!

jeffla

• Tatanka
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »

Will the Linkstation Pro LS-XHL give me any problems streaming music to my PS3.  If so then I will cancel my order before it ships and buy my second choice the Readynas.

Any suggestions?

Jeff