Author Topic: Web access and network connection  (Read 1204 times)

conticreative

• Calf
Web access and network connection
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:09:01 AM »

I think I am becvoming an expert at this, but with that I am now convinced there is something wrong with my Linkstation.

I have had all my shares mapped for some time and all working fine. I even have been able to access the buffdalonas.com webshare.

Except that from time to time I'd find my backups completely stopped with a connection error, yet al;l my shares were connected.

While doing some unrelated work, today I was able to catch the NAS disconnecting entirely from the network. It's gone.

In additin, earlier today (while still connected) I wasn't able to connect to buffalonas.com and then to my web shares.

When I tried to find out why, I discovered the service was off and every shared folder was set to deny the connection.

The first time this happened I figures I did something wrong or forgot. But this time I am positive that last time I had set all the permissions properly and everything was set up correctly.

It just seems like it cannot stay connected for more than a few hours at a time and the web share seems to be a joke. It works only when it feels like it.

How come the web share turns itself off? WHat can cause this and cause every folder permission to default back to no connectgion when they were all on inherited?

And how come this thing is so unreliable? I spent $600 so that I wouldn;t have to suffer using a dedicated desktop for my backups, but that was actually a less troublesome solution.

My firmware is the latest available (1.11) the model is the LS-Q4 and the switch is set on permanent on.

conticreative

• Calf
Re: Web access and network connection
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:12:50 AM »

Sure enough, after writing this post I was able to reconnect, while just minutes before I wasn't able to connect no matter what I did.

This is no longer a case of me being inexperienced. I am able to connect, set up the web share, map drives and do all the things one is supposed to.

The NAS simply decides to disconnect, refuse ulterior attempts and then suddently connect again with seemingly no reason either way.

Is anyone else experiencingf this spotty performance? At least I would know I am not alone.

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: Web access and network connection
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »

The problem definately sounds internal for this type of problem. I would suggest trying to force update the FW is there is still a problem with this unit.  http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-4-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11011