Author Topic: Linkstation Log File  (Read 15325 times)

hedge13hog

• Calf
Linkstation Log File
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:12 AM »

This is what I have.

LS-W2.0TGL/R1-V3
F/W 3.08
Linkstation Pro Duo
2 - 1GB Disks in Mirror
Windows XP Pro

I am simply looking for a log file.  I use this drive for a lot of critical things and prefer to see bad packets and other drive issues before, worst case, I lose both drives.  Actually, how do I even know if one drive is bad?

So my question is where can I find the log files for this drive?  I run check disk and don't get any information reported back (I assume this is logged somewhere).  What else can the log file tell me?  Maybe when the drive restarts or if the UPS Power forced it down verse some other power-down source?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Linkstation Log File
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:52 AM »

There is no "log file" you can setup e-mail notification to send you a daily report. This will include such things as bad sectors on disks etc.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

hedge13hog

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »

How do authenticate to send an email?  I don't know of too many email systems that work without authentication.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »

In short you can't. The mail notification needs to require no authenitcation unfortunately. :(

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

hedge13hog

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »

Then again.. without haveing an email server in my home office that can allow SMTP without authentication then how do I know when the device fails?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »

There is the Diag that will give error codes.  Also the Web Interface will give you error reports if there is one.  Depending on the error Nas Navi will let you know.

Kgeil

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »

I'm running a Linkstation Duo, firmware 1.26, and have no problem using an smtp server with authentication.  Perhaps your model doesn't support it. In mine, it's under System/Maintenance.

Good luck,

Kevin

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »

I do believe that the newer units do support this feature.

hedge13hog

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »

Upgraded firmware from 3.08 to the latest version for my unit, 3.10.  Same results.. no place for authentication.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »

The LSPRO Duo is an older model that does not have the new firmware.

Mikenkarie

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
<p>There is no "log file" you can setup e-mail notification to send you a daily report. This will include such things as bad sectors on disks etc.</p>

If there is no log file then how do you find out what errors are occurring on the raid or do they think we are too stupid to understand even if they provided them, would dramatically help their support solve issues?  Why even report an error if there is no way of finding out what the error is, a log file is a fairly simple thing to create, especially when you run the system\storage\check disk tool from the web console.  I mean really, what is that thing even doing if there is nothing to report back on and the manual is soo informative on raid errors, maybe others just see an error and replace the disk???  When hard drives first came out they required constant repairs moving storage blocks around, its not that complicated to add a function to perform this on a raid, where is that tool in a firmware update after countless requests, much less where can we all go to request those kinds of things?

bingtimren

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 10:58:40 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but maybe you can try ACP Commander.

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/ACP_Commander