Author Topic: Active directory I see groups, but not users  (Read 2894 times)

Kgeil

• Calf
Active directory I see groups, but not users
« on: June 02, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »

Hi, I've got a windows 2003 domain to which I've added a linkstationLS-WX2.0TL/R1.

Firmware version:1.26.  I ran the Buffalo Nas fixutility 1.0.0.4 to add Active Directory support.  I joined the domain using the directions here:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Joining_Active_Directory

When I go to configure access restrictions on my shared folders, I can add groups from Active Directory, but if I try to add users, thebox just comes up blank.  This is the fourth LinkStation I have added to the domain, and it hasn't been a problem until now (managing with groups was ok on the other installations).  I've checked and re-checked the settings on all units, and searched several forum posts, but none has an answer for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

jo342

• Global Moderator
Re: Active directory I see groups, but not users
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »

Make sure that the date and time settings on the NAS match the domain controller within a 5-minute window. This includes the GMT.

Also, problems of these sort can result from reduncy issues do the domain administrator's name actually being 'Administrator.' Make sure that your password does not include any special characters as well.

chrisloup

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:04:42 AM »

I am encountering the same issue now. reading the guidelines of the board, I do not know whether to start a new topic or hijack this one. so in the interest of not spamming unnecessary duplicate posts on the same topic, I am posting here, feel free to split it off if it should be in its own topic.

you can see my old issue with joining AD http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Terastation-ts-x4-otl-cannot-join-active-directory/td-p/30422

that appears to be resolved even though the netbios name is not in the "desired" format

ideally it should be.
ADDN (Netbios): xxxgroup
ADDN (DNS/Realm name): xxx.com.sg
ADDC Name: xxx-pdc

but I found that

ADDN (Netbios): xxx OR ADDN (Netbios): xxx.com.sg works as well for me, I wonder why that is.

I am using Terastation ts-x4 firmware 1.30

Terastationjoin AD

Terastation AD Users Missing

Terastation AD Groups Present

does anyone have any idea? or has the thread starter found a solution to his problem thus far?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »

How many users are on your domain roughly overall?

Kgeil

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:28:02 PM »
Sorry, I was away for the last few days. I have 150 users on my domain. Time settings are correct. All machines get time from our domain controllers. Thanks, Kevin

Kgeil

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
So, by redundancy, do you mean that having the domain admin name as "administrator" might foul things up, or if it is NOT "administrator"? My domain admin name is something else, as is the local admin for the linkstation. Date and time are a perfect match.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:03:55 AM »

The point is that if you have imported the groups then the LS has successfully joined the domain so i don't know how or why settings would be an issue.

Regarding the users, are they in the default OU on the Domain (ie: The "users" folder) ? Or are they in a different directory/sub directory that you have created?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Kgeil

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »

I too find it it interesting that I can see groups but not users.  Most of my users are in different OUs than the "Users" folder, but I do have a dozen or so in the users folder that don't show up.

The mystery continues.

Suggestions are, of course, appreicated.  Thanks to everyone who has taken a look.:smileyhappy:

Kevin

TreyH

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »

bump ..

Same problem; I can see groups but not users.

Kgeil

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 09:54:27 AM »

FYI: still no solution that I've found.  Workarounds will get cumbersome at some point...

hioctaine

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »

I had the same problem with our Tera Station when we first set it up.

if you go back into the network settings and to Workgroup/Domain

the first thing it asks for is Active Directory Domain Name

(NET bios Name)       when you put this in just put in your domain name and not the .blah bit

ie   domainname   and not domainname.local

that should do the trick

but make sure the second option i.e. the AD Domain name (DNS/Realm)  hase the full domain.local

thats what i found anyway  and ours is a TS III ES 8TB

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »

Kgeil wrote:
So, by redundancy, do you mean that having the domain admin name as "administrator" might foul things up, or if it is NOT "administrator"? My domain admin name is something else, as is the local admin for the linkstation. Date and time are a perfect match.

How about the GMT setting?