Author Topic: Moving data between shared folders within a single TeraStation  (Read 3338 times)

cjnovak

• Calf

My Stuff:  Buffalo TeraStation ES  2.0TB NAS  (TS-XE2.0TL/R5)  firmware:   1.30-213     Gigabit Ethernet with Jumbo Frame (4KB).   Organized as a single RAID5 volume.

Copied info from several PCs to consolidate on TeraStation.  Management wants to break down a large shared folder into several smaller folders so data from current subfolders is more accessible.  On a PC or Windows Server, I would simply MOVE the folder from its current sub-folder location to a new Root folder.  Is there a way on the TeraStation to MOVE data from one shared folder to another shared folder, or do I have to re-copy data via the Gigabit Ethernet?

If I can't MOVE the sub-folder contents to a different shared folder on the same TeraStation, rather than using a network PC to copy from one folder to another, would it be faster to add an external USB drive to the TeraStation and copy to/from that?

If this question has already been discussed/answered elsewhere, please provide pointers, and sorry about the duplication!

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: Moving data between shared folders within a single TeraStation
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »

There is no way on the TS to move files, you would need to use a local computer to just cut/paste the files that you need to move.  As for using a USB disk it is a possiblity but the USB ports are more used for export from the TS as a backup.  Cutting and pasting should not take to long as it should just re-assign the indexing