Author Topic: permissions to shares  (Read 3836 times)

hansbird

• Calf
permissions to shares
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:56:55 PM »

I use a Tera Live station in a 4 computer Windows XP SR3 workgroup environment. I want to make sure that the users on the individual computers have access to a limited number of shares on the Tera Unit. So I need to make USERS or GROUPS on the TERA unit and then combine that with the shares which access needs te be restricted. How does the USER i create on the TERA unit relates to the users of the WINDOWS machines? I don't have a windows SERVER unit in my homenetwork! So no Domains just a simple WORKGROUP. Can you help me?

HAns

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: permissions to shares
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
Permissions are all handled through the Terrastation's configuration page and only apply to root level folders. If you go to shared folders on the left hand side of the setup, then in the main window go to your shared folder. In here turn on your access restrictions, then put the applicable users and/or groups into the read or read/write categories.

hansbird

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:07:30 PM »

Dear Matt,

I know how to make users on the NAS unit. What I fail to see is how these users on the UNIT relate to the users on my windows machines. Example: I can create the user HANS on the UNIT. On 2 of the windows machines I also have a user account named HANS. How do these 2 USERS relate?

Hans

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »
No, they are independent from one another, the user names on the NAS do not need to match the users on your Windows machine and vice-versa. The Windows login credentials only come into play when you're running a Pro series unit in and Active Directory environment.

hansbird

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
   Thx Matt. But how do I log on to that specific share? If I click on a share for which I set restrictions I directly get the message that I don't have the access rights. Or do I have to set up drive mappings to arrange for that?

Matt_M

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

There is a limitation within Windows where it can only pass 1 username per device. So, if you are running in a mixed environment with both restricted and unrestricted shares you would need to map the restricted ones first. Do the following and see if it clears up the issue you are experiencing:

1) Disconnect any mapped network drives that currently exist on your computer

2) Log off and back into Windows to clear the authentication session

3) Map to your access restricted shares first

4) Map to your unrestricted shares

This should clear up your issue.