Author Topic: FW 2.21 May need to be pulled. ?  (Read 4559 times)

Isabel

• Calf
FW 2.21 May need to be pulled. ?
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:47:49 PM »

FW 2.21 May need to be pulled. ?

HS-DHGL FW 2.21

Admin need to look at this Firmware as once a unit is upgraded to FW 2.21 the unit no longer responds to any of the Firmware software old or new as the new Implementation of the PS3 media player now means that the Hardrive is never idle and is constantly active which in turn means firmware just greys out waiting for the unit to become idle before it initiates and proceeds which of course never happens due to the constant polling of the HDD which never happended with previous versions of the Firmware.

strelley

• Calf
Re: FW 2.21 May need to be pulled. ?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:16 AM »

I can confirm this problem as i've just upgraded too 2.21 and now the HDD clicks all the time and the unit refuses to respond to the Firmware software so i'm unable to force a firmware flash back too 2.11

The HDD is active all the time even in EM mode so you can't TFTP boot and force it as TFTP boot screen now just hangs aswell waiting for the unit to reply.

:(

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:59 AM »

"Admin need to look at this Firmware as once a unit is upgraded to FW  2.21 the unit no longer responds to any of the Firmware software old or  new as the new Implementation of the PS3 media player now means that the  Hardrive is never idle and is constantly active which in turn means  firmware just greys out waiting for the unit to become idle before it  initiates and proceeds which of course never happens due to the constant  polling of the HDD which never happended with previous versions of the  Firmware."

We don't seem to have that issue over here (granted Im not using a PS3 but we are using a media server).  I would suggest resetting the unit through the web interface and set it back up.  If you are still having the same issue I will see if I can get you a copy of the previous firmware and we can see if thats the issue.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:08:57 AM »

"I can confirm this problem as i've just upgraded too 2.21 and now the  HDD clicks all the time and the unit refuses to respond to the Firmware  software so i'm unable to force a firmware flash back too 2.11

The  HDD is active all the time even in EM mode so you can't TFTP boot and  force it as TFTP boot screen now just hangs aswell waiting for the unit  to reply."

Your issue doen't sound related.  I think you have a bad HDD.

Isabel

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:27 AM »

A freshly upgraded unit to fw 2.21 from the first time it reboots  with default settings will no longer work with FW 2.21 or the previous FW2.11 due to the constant HDD activity.

You try running a firmware upgrade on your unit and your see that after you have entered the password it just greys out and hangs waiting for a responce from the unit and it never happens.

:(

strelley

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32:37 AM »

Same here fresh upgrade with default settings even with it left on japanese writing and the FW updater no longer works even if you edit the LS.ini and force a update it just greys out and hangs,

connorw

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:20:22 PM »

I wish i had seen this thread before i updated as i now have the same problem that my Linkstation now sounds like it permanently has Data being written to the drive even when it's not connected to anything and the flash updater no longer works or completes so i'm now stuck with 2.21 and this constant Read / write noise.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 03:35:56 AM »

connorw wrote:

I wish i had seen this thread before i updated as i now have the same problem that my Linkstation now sounds like it permanently has Data being written to the drive even when it's not connected to anything and the flash updater no longer works or completes so i'm now stuck with 2.21 and this constant Read / write noise.

Disable PCast in the Linkstations GUi, if this is enabled it will be always looking for updated media on the network hense the constent read/write access.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

connorw

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 03:58:59 AM »

Already tried that and it makes no difference still has the same constant Read / write noise.

There is a new Media Server folder in Share that was never there before and it looks like some sort of other media server thats different too PCast.

Blexley

• Tatanka
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »

Same Problem here now as everybody else.         :(

It will be intresting to see how the engineers sort this one out as users will not be able too upgrade in the future let alone trying to downgrade now seeing as 2.21 locks the user out from running the Lsupdater.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »

Thanks to everyone that's reported their issues. We will have Engineering look into this as soon as possible.

Don't take that to mean you should stop posting. If you see other issues, or have more details on the issues or their reproduction, please don't hesitate to let us know in this thread.

Yasmin

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:39 AM »
I know that it's against the rules to post about hacking the Linkstation but this info is of use to the Admin and the Engineers on fixing this problem. Out of intrest i got my old HS-DH320GL and updated it from FW 2.10 to the new FW 2.21 and i then had the problems that other people have noted here with the Hardrive being constantly active even when PCast is off and being locked out from using the LSupdater software. So i then set about telnet hacking the Linkstation and logged in and typed PS to bring up the processes and two where associated with the Media Server so i killed both of those processes and the Hardrive went instantly quiet and i was able to run the LSupdater as before and was able to run version 2.10 , 2.11 beta and the latest 2.21 without any problems. So the problems are associated with the new PS3 Mediaplayer implementation and the Engineers will have to add a way to the firmware so the end user can turn it off like the older PCast.

Macky

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 04:03:58 AM »

This noise with 2.21 is ridiculous as now the Linkstation sounds like it's forever having a large file written to disk that never stops also it makes the unit run hotter which in turn means the fans spins up louder :( I'm not using mine until Buffalo sort this out as the sound during the night is driving me nuts so i can no longer leave it on all the time in my bedroom.

Revenco

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 04:06:53 AM »

Thankyou for that info Yasmin it's good to hear but i think it's best  to wait for Colin137 and the official fix so not to chance getting it wrong.

I'm somewhat shocked that Buffalo are still letting people download this firmware considering the amount of people complaining on other forums.

Harrison

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »

I was warned not to buy Buffalo as support leave you in the dark and this is proving to true.

No updates on this issue or anything is really shoddy.