Author Topic: LS-CHL-V2, EM-mode:"I11:The number of bad sectors on disk 1 has reached emergency level"  (Read 2341 times)

anrisber

• Calf

My 8-month-old LS-CH500L-EU (or LS-CH500L-V2 as it's named in NASNavigator2 on my MacBook Pro) is stuck in EM-mode (I think) and even though the linkstation starts up, and is visible (at first) I can't read or write to it. Firmware version was earlier identified as v.1.10 (now I can't see the version number in NASNavigator). Earlier the LED flashed in amber: one long and one short blink. That would translate to error message I11 I guess, but no such error exists according to the manual or any forum threads I've found.

At ONE time, NASNavigator identified the hard drive and the problem as "I11: The number of bad sectors on disk 1 has reached emergency level". What does this mean and what am I supposed to do about it? Does it mean that the data is corrupted and/or that my data is lost? Is the hard drive on the verge of crashing? This would really suck since the device is only 8 months old! Anyone had this particular problem or knows what to do about it? I would be really grateful for any help and advice, don't know what to do at this point.

Any advice would be really helpful and appreciated,

Andreas

AngelsAbys

• El Toro

That message does not mean your data is lost, what is is trying to tell you is that continued use may cause more damage to the drive than where it is at, because there are a series of bad sectors (areas it cannot write to).  In this case professional companies such as drive savers can retrieve your data for you. and if the unit is less than a year old an RMA can be obtained. There are other options for data recovery available online just search google for software based programs

anrisber

• Calf

I have tried DiskWarrior but the program cannot find the drive, I guess because it's a network drive connected through ethernet and not a USB drive (I could of course take the hard drive out of the case but I guess that would void the warranty)? Could a firmware update enable me to extract some of the data or is there no use in trying to force an update? I'm pretty new to this and any further assistance would be welcome.