Author Topic: [SOLVED] LS-CHL Stuck in EM Mode. Force Update Doesn't work b/c of password  (Read 6177 times)

selgan

• Calf

Product Name: LS-CH1.0TL-V2

So I've read a lot of posts on these forums and haven't found a solution on these forums yet.

We had a power outage at the office. The NAS was connected to a UPS though. Since then it's stuck in EM Mode.

I tried the instuctions here http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-3-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/m-p/11011

I still get prompted for a password and when I type in "password" (minus qutoes) it still does not work.

I'm not as concerned about the data because this was just a backup drive anyways. However, it's only like 3 week old.

I have no idea what firmware it has b/c that field is blank in the LSIUpdater.exe program.

I see a few posts stating how to enable EM Mode. I just want to know how to get it out of EM Mode.

Steve

AngelsAbys

• El Toro
Re: LS-CHL Stuck in EM Mode. Force Update Doesn't work b/c of password
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »

To get the unit out of EM mode it will need the firmware placed back on it to replace what may have been damaged.  The default password off password does not work, did you change the password on the unit?  Otherwise you can try to perform a factory reset on the machine, this remedies the user/pass complications that are present in a situation like this.http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-1-of-4-EM-Mode-boot-procedures-please-read-this/td-p/11008

selgan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07:33 AM »

I tried the factory reset procedure and that didn't work. When I researched about that, I found that the EM Mode default password is "password" which is a different set of credentials than the default username/password for the device when it's working properly. Below is the procedure I tried.

1. Move the power switch to the ‘Off’ position(rear). The LinkStation Live will shut down after about 45 seconds.

2. While holding down the function button(rear for 6 sec), move the power switch to the ‘On’ postion(rear). The Function LED will begin to flash blue.

3. Push the Function button again while the Function LED is flashing.

4. LED on the front will flash Blue, then will turn to Green when process is complete.

Try to hold the function button down while booting it up.

selgan

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »

I forgot to mention that I did not change the credentials for the device in any way. Everything should be at the factory settings.

selgan

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:54:42 PM »

I've got the problem solved (for now)...

After actually reading all 14 pages of this thread http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/LS-CH1-0TL-Password-Reset/td-p/8102/highlight/true/page/12

maha (post 113) had the correct solution for my problem.

Here is what you do... Get a stopwatch or a clock first.

1) With the device on, disconnect the power cable from the back.

2) Immediately plug it in. The top blue light should start flashing. Wait 75 seconds (blue light on top should still be flashing)

3) Disconnect power cable at 75 seconds.

4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the top blue light stop flashing at around 60-65 seconds.

At this point the device is in Emergency Mode.

5) Follow the steps here http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-4-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11011 to force an update of the firmware (Following steps 1-4 allowed me to not need any sort of password to proceed with the update). I installed version 1.26 of the firmware.

6) Once the firmware update is done. Open your web admin.

Now if your web admin is in Japanese (like mine was at first, follow these steps)

1) Login to the web admin page with user as "admin" and password as "password"

2) View my attached screenshot to get to the system settings where you can change the language.

a) Click the button on the web admin page that is second from the right on the top, black navigation bar.

b) You'll be at the settings tab which is the button on the far left of the lower, beige navigation bar.

c) Expand the 3rd drop down window which is language.

Good Luck. I hope this helps out some other folks.

benalder

• Calf

I have an two LS-CHL, one working great for a year the other out the box. I believe I confused the two when setting up and the new one ended up in EM mode.

So I updated the fw to 1.41 - ok - message at end of installation about firewal update aborted but I can open the web interface and NASNavi2 now scans it with IP and v1.41 fw.

from web interface I cannot log in with "admin" and "password" or any possible passwords I may have used in initial config

I made some changes as recommended on the forums to the .ini file and even now cannot change the admin password or update the unit.

Brand new, out the box, one small config mess up and now a unit that is unuseable - HELP

I have spent an hour trawling google and the forums and reloading firmware but still I cannot login from web interface or make it useable 

Jotin

• Big Bull

benalder, have you tried a simple reset? And if you have have you tried doing a force flash with 1.41 again or possibly 1.40?

digritz

• Calf

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-4-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11011

Hey the solution I need ! only problem is this link is dead !!!! arrrgh ! how do I dfore the firmwhere update ?

Thanks

digritz

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »

ok, when I do this, and keep function held in on the scond [ress. it blinks amber for about 30 after about 45 seconds flashing blue..... password reset still does not work.

forced firmware update is done.

running1.43

stevenkaz

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »

I have mine sorted now, got fed up trying all the different proposals on here and phoned the helpline, they emailed me a recovery file which I installed and this sorted out my problem and have this morning updated the firmware to 1.52 successfully.?

vangus

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 11:18:11 PM »

Why don't any of the support links work???  I was emailed a similar link, and all I get is an Invalid Parameters message.

themadhatter

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »

Hola,

I had a similar issue with my LS-CHL being stuck in EM Mode. For anybody else with a similar problem but still scratching their heads, this is how I fixed mine:

1. Create a shortcut of your updater executable.

Note: This is found in your Buffalo CD Image for your NAS drive and is called LSUpdater.exe. If you don't have the CD image then you can download it from Buffalo's Support site.

2. Right-click the shortcut, choose Properties and in the Shortcut tab add /force to the end of the Target.

Example: "C:\Buffalo\LSUpdater.exe" /force

3. Double-click the shortcut to run it.

This process takes a few minutes and will serve to flash the firmware back to its original version

4. Reset your NAS drive (instructions below)

To reset your NAS drive (no data will be 'harmed' in this process):

1. Switch the unit to Off to power it down (wait for the lights to die out).
2. Hold the Function button down for 10 seconds whilst off, then whilst still holding the Function button down, switch the unit to the On position.
3. (Still holding the Function button down) When the Function light begins to blink, release the Function button, then press and release it once (don't hold it down).

When the power light is solid again your drive has (hopefully) been restored. Note that the administrator password will have reset in this process too (U: Admin P: Password). This solution worked for me but I can't guarantee it works in every case.

Good luck!
Matt

jorn

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »

I have attempted the reset proceedure outlined here, but my Linkstation goes into a 6-blink-red situation. I'm stumped, and left with an unusable product.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:03:54 AM »

jorn wrote:

I have attempted the reset proceedure outlined here, but my Linkstation goes into a 6-blink-red situation. I'm stumped, and left with an unusable product.

you need to follow FAQ 3 of 5 at the top of the storage section.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!