Author Topic: ACP_State_Failure After trying to flash Firmware - Now locked out and cannot update firmware  (Read 26844 times)

mvilaboy

• Calf

Buffalo Linkstation Live 500GB, model HS-DH500GL

Computer: Dell Vostro 1500, Windows XP / Ubuntu (dual boot).  Used Windows to perform the below steps.

Router: NETGEAR Wireless

I purchased several years ago. Came with original firmware.

Several days ago, the share mapping and web administrator stopped working. 

I could not get it to work so i tried cycling power many times.  I was able to ping the linkstation, but no luck with the either the share or web access.

A) I downloaded the latest available NASNavigator2, and it showed that the linkstation was in "EM Mode".

B) The notice on the Navigator was "EM mode was detected. Update firmware or contact your local technical support".

C) I downloaded the latest LSUpdater and firmware (HS-DHGL_221-083).

D) I disabled the windows firewall and anti-virus software.   

E) I ran the lsupdater program as is. At first the transfer was going very quickly (70MB out of 118MB) in 20 seconds. Then all of a sudden, it started running very slowly (1MB every 5-10s).  

F) When it finally finished transferring, it returned a "HS-DHGL-EMD17 returns an error. (AC_STATE_FAILURE). Update is aborted."

G) I searched the forums and came across similar issues. I read about "forcing the update" by putting the lsupdater program in debug mode. I added a debug flag and set it to "1", and set the check version flag to "0". See below.

[Application]
Title = BUFFALO HS-DHGL Updater Ver.2.21
WaitReboot = 480
WaitFormat = 500
WaitFileSend = 300
[Target]
ProductID = 0x0000000A
Name = HS-DHGL
[Flags]
VersionCheck = 0
[SpecialFlags]
Debug = 1

H) I re-ran the lsupdator, right clicked on the tool bar and checked the "force update" box. All other boxes were default checked (update boot, update Kernel, update initrd, update rootfs, and do not check version).

I) I ran the update and the same process occurred as described in E) and F) with an ACP_STATE_FAILURE error again.

J) I tried rerunning the lsupdater because I had heard that sometimes running it several times gets it to work. This time, after clicking update on the lsupdater, the application goes grey and nothing happens.  I checked the network activity and notthing is happening.  I had the kill the application.

What are my next steps available?

1) I read somewhere on one forum that I could clear the flash from linux and maybe this process would work.  I would need a pointer to a forum because there were several versions and I didn't want to continue until I got some feedback.

2) I also read that the motherboard is fried and that I would have to return it.  I would like to get my data out of the drive if it is still intact. How would I go about doing this?  Would i be able to connect it to my IDE slot in my  PC?

3) Are there any other options available?

Any help on this would be great! 

Thanks, 

Mike

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

ACP state failure means that either the boot partition is full or the MB is damaged.  You might be able to bring the unit back up by checking the option to "rebuild partition table" but that would erase all data.

"1) I read somewhere on one forum that I could clear the flash from linux  and maybe this process would work.  I would need a pointer to a forum  because there were several versions and I didn't want to continue until I  got some feedback."

The drives are XFS format.  I don't have any specific information (as it is not supported) but there should be documentation out there.  Another option is to try a software program like UFS explorer (runs on windows and can mount XFS).

"3) Are there any other options available?"

Other than professional data recovery (which is the most sure fire way), no.

mvilaboy

• Calf

How would the boot partition get full?? i know i had a lot of space left on the drive.

How would I go about clearing out the boot partition?  Is this deletion of the partition table?

Related to using UFS or a XFS:

How would I get the PC to recognize the hard disk?  Do i need to get an external hard disk enclosure say with a USB, or will it recognize it straight from the network?  For this model, is the hard disk sata, or IDE?

It seems like this happens to quite a few users, have other people figured out what to do here?  Are there any recommended threads to try?

Why would my link station freeze after trying to force the flash update?

Thanks,

Mike

mvilaboy

• Calf

still no reply???  

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

mvilaboy wrote:

How would the boot partition get full?? i know i had a lot of space left on the drive.

How would I go about clearing out the boot partition?  Is this deletion of the partition table?

Related to using UFS or a XFS:

How would I get the PC to recognize the hard disk?  Do i need to get an external hard disk enclosure say with a USB, or will it recognize it straight from the network?  For this model, is the hard disk sata, or IDE?

It seems like this happens to quite a few users, have other people figured out what to do here?  Are there any recommended threads to try?

Why would my link station freeze after trying to force the flash update?

Thanks,

Mike

This is not an issue with the motherboard and can be resolved using ACP Commander. However it is not supported on this forum so i cannot give you advise on how to solve it, just google ACP_STATE_FAILURE and have a look around a few of the linux forums and it should solve your issue ;-)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mvilaboy

• Calf

Okay... thanks... I'll try this..  Its just very frustrating...

i absolutely agree that people should not rely on one hard drive to store data.  In my case, i was lucky enough to have a usb external hard drive failure, a blue screen of death on my laptop and an ACP_State_Failure on my NAS hard drive failure all in a matter of a month.  I was in the middle of fixing one problem and got caught without enough hard drives.. maybe i should play the lottery...

Didn't lose too much data since I was able to copy back and forth to my laptop from linux to the NAS...

mvilaboy

• Calf

SOLVED:

I was able to use the ACP_Commander program from another site (not officially supported by Buffalo).  

This in itself was not the answer, but the forum on http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/ helped out tremendously.

I ended up telneting into the LS sever, deleting all of the files in the root directory, clearing out my flash, and following the detailed steps to revive your arm9 box from scratch (using tftp and loading the latest and greatest firmware). Worked like a charm!

It actually was not too bad, but was a little scary there for a while while.

Thanks!

Alan

• Calf

My Linkstation HS-DHGL just went into ACP_State_Failure for not reason.

I have unformatted the hard drive (all partitions removed)

Put the Linkstation into EM mode using TFTP boot Recovery  

Check it is in  EM mode with Nas Navigator 2 (ok)

Using LSUpdater  to rebuild (Debug Mode, force update, delete user-config, rebuild partition table enabled)

I get the ACP_State _Failure

I have tired ACP_commander to reset this (java -jar acp_commander.jar -t 192.168.1.11 -o –cb) (not officially supported) seemed to work

But on repeating I get the same error

Please help

Alan

Schtieb

• Calf

Has anyone been able to solve this problem and is there perhaps a step by step guide... I have the exact same problem and ACP Commander seems to go through just fine it just will continue to say ACP_STATE_FAILURE after it....

MilesGibson

• Calf

Did you get yours working?  I have a TeraStation III that is in the same state.

emgi

• Calf

OK, this may sound silly (and it probably is) but: 

My LS-X2.0TL failed updating to v1.62 three times in a row.

These were all attempted over wireless.

Then I did it again using a wired connection and it succeeded in one time. 

regards,

Leo

drmemory

• Big Bull

Never try to update firmware on anything over a wireless connection. Wireless connections can lose data bytes during transmission, which won't much affect listening to music or voice, or watching video, but can be bad if trying to install firmware. Always update any kind of firmware using a wired connection.

R2 Networks

• Calf
This might be a little too late but what the hell, maybe someone else may come across the same issue.

Clients old NAS could not be connected via the website or NAS Navigator
I pressed and held down the funtion and power button untill all the drive LED's went red then restarted the NAS
Once this boot process was completed, i was able to update the NAS firmware. The update took a long time however worked a treat
From everything i have read, this shouldnt have worked so i cant explain it.

Just thought i would share.