Author Topic: *** FTP folder name on TeraStation Pro II ***  (Read 7603 times)

schm196

• Calf
*** FTP folder name on TeraStation Pro II ***
« on: November 24, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »

I have created one share on my TeraStation Pro II 4TB Rack.  It is standalone (not a domain/AD member) and I have configured it for Windows and FTP access only.  Access protection (username/password) is enabled.  I can browse and access the existing shares ("info" and "<mysharename>") just fine in Windows Explorer.

I have two problems:

1. (minor issue) I cannot create downlevel folders in my share.  Am I overlooking something or is this by design?  I'd rather use downlevel folders than additional shares (in my case, I'd like my security cameras to automatically create new folders for each day or month of recording).
  2. (major issue) I cannot figure out how to configure the target directory path in my camera's FTP settings.  Specifying my desired name gets me an mkd error.  I have to specify a folder, otherwise the cam tries to store in the first folder it finds.  However, when I manually connect to the TeraStation using an FTP client it doesn't show a share with the name I created but "array1" or something.  What's going on here? 

Thanks for any pointers.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: *** FTP folder name on TeraStation Pro II ***
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »

Updating the firmware should address the minor issue.  For the major issue can you write a script for the camera?  ftp://Ftp://username : password@ip_of_NAS/array1/foldername

schm196

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:05:49 PM »

Thanks for the response!

As for the minor issue, I already have upgraded to the latest available firmware (1.33)... same issue.  I think the underlying box is just some Linux/Unix build, so why can't they include mkdir permissions in the "read/write" setting?  Seems like an incomprehensible and meaningless restriction to me.

As for the major issue, I can actually live with it now that I have figured out that there simply is an undocumented "feature" built-in by having to specify the array as the root folder before specifying the actual share as the next down-level folder.

Funny thing... my minor issue is actually major, and the major thing is just lack of Buffalo documentation and not a big deal at all...

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:39 AM »
Try setting the unit back to factory defaults from the web interface, also make sure you are mapping by IP address and not name.