Author Topic: WARNING: Be VERY careful with firmware updates  (Read 2749 times)

samtemp

• Calf
WARNING: Be VERY careful with firmware updates
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:51 AM »

I'm really upset at buffalo for their terrible firmware directions (or lack thereof). I went through all the manuals before I just updated the firmware and now I'm dealing with all my data being possibly wiped.

It was after this terrible episode that I researched a hacker website of all places to find that Buffalo NAS drives must have their firmwares updated with the computer linked DIRECTLY to the NAS drive.

In other words, if you try to update firmware through the network router (as i did), you can LOSE ALL YOUR DATA!!

I rreally wish Buffalo had made a bit clearer warning on their docuemntation. This is really a HUGE miss on their part. I've owned several buffal NAS over the past few years and though I've noticed quality and speed degrade with each new (and supposedly better) version, I just stuck with it until this event.

Buffalo, what's going on with your product, documentation and support?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: WARNING: Be VERY careful with firmware updates
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:44:01 AM »

This is not the case, more then likey you experienced this issue because of some failure on the device before you updated the firmware. 

What were the reasons behind updating in the first place?

Main reasons for firmware update failures is due to firewall and anti virus software installed on the pc hosting the connection to the NAS (direct or from the network).