Author Topic: TS-XL to TS-HGL/R5 rsync problem  (Read 2380 times)

chris0583

• Calf
TS-XL to TS-HGL/R5 rsync problem
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am having a major issues getting a stock 4 TB TS-XL (3TB Raid 5)  to relicate to a 4.3 TB TS-HGL/R5 (Upgraded). 

Steps I have taken so far.

added new Samsung 1.5 TB drives to the TS-HGL/R5

reflashed latest firmware in debug mode with all the options checked.  Basically re-imaged the entire box.

- recreated new share and set as backup target.

- configured ts-xl to replicate to TS-HGL/R5.

Replication runs for a few hours and then the TS-HGL/R5 seems to just die.

Can anyone help.

michiganian

• Calf
Re: TS-XL to TS-HGL/R5 rsync problem
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »

You used to have 4.0TB model of TeraStation and upgraded to 6.0TB by installing bulk drives?

I believe that Buffalo does not support it. If anything happens because of it, Buffalo won't help you.

I replicate my data between two TeraStation Duo and have no problem so far.

On your situation, TeraStation III side should be fine. Can you take a schedule backup from TS Duo

to TS Pro?

chris0583

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:25:02 PM »

I am trying to replicate from a Terrastation III to a Terrastation Pro II.  I replaced the "bulk drives" with the originally delivered drives "4 X 500 GB drives" and the problem is still happening.  Seems to me during long sustained transfers the box locks up and only a power cycle will bring it back.  If I leave it alone / limited use the box will last forever.

Any other suggestions before I consider other options?

chris0583

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »

Bump

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »

Replication from a TS III to a TS Pro II?  I just want to confirm that wasn't a typo.  Replication from a TS III to a TS Pro II would not be possible.

chris0583

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »

Yes,  I want to replicate a TS III to a TS Pro II.  The units starts replication fine,  runs for about  4-6 hours and then the TS Pro II just stop responding.  I have to perform a complete power cycle to get the unit up and running again.  When it comes up it works fine.

What I have done now is just try to ftp the contents from the TS III to the TS Pro II.  Again the ftp runs for about 4-6 hours and the unit becomes unresponsive.  With and without larger "unsupported" drives. 

Any help would be great.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »

Do a force firmware update on the Pro 2 and reinit the unit see if it clears out.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/FAQ-2-of-3-Force-Firmware-update-procedure-please-read-this/td-p/11011

chris0583

• Calf
Re: TTS-XL to TS-HGL/R5 rsync problem
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »

Yes I have performed this procedure (look up at my first of second post).  With and without large unsupported drives.  

I did happen to get my hands on a second TS Pro II (2TB).  Reforced the firmware update and wiped all the data.  I set the unit up with the same config with the unit that is not working and started replication.  So far replication has been running for about 10 hours and about 272 GB has been transferred so far.   Looks like this unit is running better than the first.

If the second unit works fine what is my support options from Buffalo on the unit that is not function.  Again it is more than just replication.  I fired up a ftp session and the unit dies again after about 6 hours.

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: TTS-XL to TS-HGL/R5 rsync problem
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:02 PM »

If the unit is still in its warranty then please give our tech line a call so we can set you up with an RMA.