Author Topic: Help.....  (Read 4754 times)

sobo1234

• Calf
Help.....
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »

Hey all.....

I'm sure this is very simple and easy, and can probably be found somewhere int he instructions, but I can't seem to find it.

I just hooked up a new LinkStation Duo...and there's no doubt a lot to learn......but I have 2 quick questions.....

1- Is there some tutorial out there that may help me know all the features and benefits on this unit?  Anything other than readin through the 150 page owners manual would be great....

2- It's all hooked up and running, but there is no dirve showing up under MY COMPUTER- what do I need to do to show the Duo as a drive in MY COMPUTER?

Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Help.....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »

"1- Is there some tutorial out there that may help me know all the  features and benefits on this unit?  Anything other than readin through  the 150 page owners manual would be great...."

I would answer your question with a question; what do you plan on using this unit for?  I can help you with figuring out the best features for what you want to do but  the easiest way to learn about ALL of them is to read through the manual.  It might also be easier to just read these forums over and/or call technical support via phone.

"2- It's all hooked up and running, but there is no dirve showing up  under MY COMPUTER- what do I need to do to show the Duo as a drive in MY  COMPUTER?"

You need to map the share by figuring out the IP address.  You can find out what the IP address is in the NASNAVI program that came on the CD.  Once you have the IP address just go into your run command and type in "\\IP" (being the IP of the LS).  Then just right click on the share and go to "map network drive", assign it a drive letter and then it will appear in my computer.

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »

Thanks for the reply....I appreciate the feedback-

1- Right now I have a Ximeta Netdisk for all our files- including pictures, videos, music and othe rmisc. files we have.  I have been using Carbonite online storage to keep the data backed up but that's $100 every 2 years- I figured using this with the Raid1 option would be a better option- I've already gone in and reconfigured from Raid0 to Raid1. 

I also have a PS3 that I'd like to stream viedos, music and pictures to.....I've also heard you can stream movies....if so, how?

Remote access to it would also be great.....

2- I figured out how to map the drive last night, but when I try to do it, I get an error- "failed mapping- remote default sharing failed"- any ideas on how to fix??

Thanks again for the help!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »

1- Bluntly speaking it would be unwise to have your backup device also act as a media server (although you are right the media serving function is pretty cool)

2- What OS are you running, so we can better guide on what steps you need to take when mapping.

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »

Thanks....

1- Is using the device to stream media and store files is not recommended, what would you suggest?

2- Runing Windows Vista Home Premium...tried multiple times today but stillgetting the same error message

Thanks again for the help-

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »

1- Considering that the data you want to have backed up is being read/written to (but mostly read from) causes HDD wear and tear so in short yes it is not a wise decision however preventative measures such as additional backups will help in avoiding data loss.

2- I would recommend downloading and installing the Vista patch that changes NTLM permissions for accessing other network devices (i.e. NAS, other computers, etc.) You should be able to get that patch from here.

Post back if you've got questions

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »

Still no luck- I installed the patch and then shut down and restarted and am getting the same error......any other suggestions would be greatly appreicated-

Again, "FAILED MAPPING: REMOTE DEFAULT SHARE IS MISSING"

justinbonar

• Calf
Re: Help..... failed mapping remote default share is mising
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 07:41:52 PM »

It seems that many people are having this same problem and the responses thus far from Buffalo tech support have been woefully inadequate.

I have had the same error for about a month, since getting the LinkStation Duo.

So far, Buffalo Tech support have given me incomplete, terse answers and have tried to blame LinkSys (my router). I spoke with LinkSys tech support who were astonished to learn that Buffalo was saying that LinkSys routers don't work.

Come on Buffalo, get us some real support on this issue.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 04:31:45 PM »

@justinbonar: seeing as this is your first post please refrain from the complaints. If you want to PM me the problem you're having I can try and help you as best I can.

@sobo1234: when you attempt to map the share on your machine can you give me the steps when you're attempting to map the drive?  ex. \\[IP_Address_of_NAS]\share  I don't think it's anything wrong with the router or anything I think Windows might be getting an invalid instruction or the NAS is not accepting communique from the PC.

heikki

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »

Same problem here: I have seen similar treads from 3 years ago: no resolution. I had to change the NASNavi program to english for finding answers. It seem to work in Vista and Vista is complaining about XP. In this computer is XP.

blueridge

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »

Unfortunately, I seem to be having a similar problem with a refurbished Linkstation Live LS-CH1.0TL that I purchased from eCost.com

1. The install cd that I downloaded was never able to complete - it failed when it got to the step of trying to find the Linkstation on the network.

2. However, I see the device on my network - it has been assigned a valid IP and I can ping it.

3. I can access the device over the Buffalo web maintenance page.

4. I can also see the device using the NASNavigator2. However, the program does not allow me to map the device to a drive letter. It shows me the same IP for the device that is listed in my Router attached devices list and the Buffalo Web maintenance page.

5. Whenever I try to access it using either the Run command or the Explorer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive  it fails and I get an error about not being able to reach the Network Location. 

6. Also I try to run the firmware updater and it fails with the error that it can't find a Linkstation in need of updating.

System Particulars are
- Vista Ultimate Laptop w/ SP1

- Linkstation has FW 1.06

- connected to network via cable

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Needless to say it is a bit frustrating.  Thanks.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:21:58 PM »

"I can also see the device using the NASNavigator2. However, the program  does not allow me to map the device to a drive letter. It shows me the  same IP for the device that is listed in my Router attached devices list  and the Buffalo Web maintenance page"

What does it say for the hostname and firmware version on the NASNAVI?  Is it possible that its in EM mode?

"Whenever I try to access it using either the Run command or the Explorer  -> Tools -> Map Network Drive  it fails and I get an error about  not being able to reach the Network Location. "

Make sure that when you are in the run command that you are typing "\\IP" and not adding in the hostname.

"Also I try to run the firmware updater and it fails with the error that  it can't find a Linkstation in need of updating."

Malke sure that you are using the correct firmware (1.07 not 1.24), make sure the NASNAVI is closed and that all protective software is disabled.

blueridge

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »

PCPiranha wrote:

"I can also see the device using the NASNavigator2. However, the program does not allow me to map the device to a drive letter. It shows me the same IP for the device that is listed in my Router attached devices list and the Buffalo Web maintenance page"

What does it say for the hostname and firmware version on the NASNAVI?  Is it possible that its in EM mode?

Hostname is LS-CHLF85  Firmware version is 1.06.  The system says it is in "Standard Mode"

"Whenever I try to access it using either the Run command or the Explorer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive  it fails and I get an error about not being able to reach the Network Location. "

Make sure that when you are in the run command that you are typing "\\IP" and not adding in the hostname.

Actually I tried both

"Also I try to run the firmware updater and it fails with the error that it can't find a Linkstation in need of updating."

Malke sure that you are using the correct firmware (1.07 not 1.24), make sure the NASNAVI is closed and that all protective software is disabled.

Well my firmware is 1.06 not 1.07 so I need to install 1.07 and not the latest firmware?

Thanks for any help.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »

Yes try updating to 1.07.   1.24 is only for models that have 1.10 firmware or higher

blueridge

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 02:35:59 PM »

Okay. Though I am not clear as to how I am supposed to update the firmware if the firmware updating program cannot find the Linkstation.  Do you have to connect it directly via a crossover?  

Thanks.