Author Topic: Dead TS, everything but SMB seems to start up fine...  (Read 1468 times)

windex

• Calf
Dead TS, everything but SMB seems to start up fine...
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:32:12 AM »

So, I keep two terastations on a rotation for backups.

Last time I swapped them this unit refused to shutdown.  I had actually forgotten about it and left for the night and the next morning the shut down message was still displayed.  I tried holding the power button but it wouldn't power down until I pulled the power cord.

Well its time for this one to go back in but it doesn't seem to want to start up correctly now.  I get no errors, i can ping the box and fully manage it with the web interface, it has just stopped sharing though.  

I've tried removing all the shares and recreating some, I've tried wiping out the arrays and recreating them. During all this I get no errors.  

attempting to browse it by using its \\ name I receive the same error you get when you attempt to connect to a computer without any shares.

I started the system up in em mode.  Didn't seem to do anything different... 

So, I figured I would try to update the firmware.

Without using the /force options the application just says that it cant find a hs-dhtgl on the network.  

Once I enabled /force it finds the terastation but then when update is pressed it gives the following message:

Couldn't confirm response from hd-dhtgl665. please check a network address of both pc and hs-dhtgl664.  please disabnle the firewall function if it is working on pc.  updating is aborted.

I read that it will only attempt to TFTBoot if all other options fail, unfortunately the unit is booting up fine apart from what seems like the SMB service failing to start so it looks like that isn't an option... 

What can I do?  

Gary_Will

• Calf
Re: Dead TS, everything but SMB seems to start up fine...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:54:03 PM »

First try to boot the unit into Emergency Mode. Make sure all of your firewalls are disabled. Once in EM mode you should be able to force flash the firmware. If the force firmware method does not work, while in EM mode, try the TFTP boot method.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:56:11 AM »

The TFTP boot will not work if the unit is in EM mode.  The TFTP is designed to put the unit into EM mode so you can update the firmware.  Directly connect the unit to your PC via ethernet cable and set a static on your LAN on the same subnet as the unit then try to run the update if it still gives that error message then boot your PC into Safe Mode with networking.

windex

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »

Thanks for that, I'll try it in the morning when I get back in the office.

I've been working on building a new domain and switching to a different subnet so the computer I've been using at work has an IP on each network.  I didn't think that should pose any issues but didn't really think about it at the time.