Author Topic: Drive letter changes when reattaching HD-CXU2  (Read 2112 times)

vcc

• Calf
Drive letter changes when reattaching HD-CXU2
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »

I have three HD-CXU2 1GB drives which I am attempting to use in an offsite/onsite rotation.  However, when I reattach a drive it will sometimes assume a different drive letter, causing the scheduled backup to fail.  Normally, they all receive a different drive letter, but sometimes the Utility drive will usurp one of the CD drive letters and everything jumbles after that.

The computer is a Windows Small Business Server 2003.  A (possibly) related problem is that when I tried to run the DriveNavi.exe program, it fails to see a partition to format NTFS and when I try to install TurboUSB I get "The program doesn't operate in the current OS."

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Drive letter changes when reattaching HD-CXU2
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »

The drive letter problem is something that would have to be fixed via the OS.  The client and the TurboUSB function not working however I would invite you to look at the product specifications (I missed this part at first) there is an '*' next to Windows Server 2003 on the Specifications tab. At the bottom of the specifications tab it indicates:

* Only basic external hard drive functionality is supported in these  operating systems, some included utilities may not work.

vcc

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »

>>  The drive letter problem is something that would have to be fixed via the OS.  <<

We had smaller, plain USB drives before and they never exhibited these problems.  The problem with the Buffalo units is that (1) they mount as CD's and not USB drives (they are detected as CD's in Device Manager) and because of this, they (2) cause the drive letter assignments to change when there is more than one Buffalo unit plugged in.  All CD's mount with the lower drive letters, assigning the USB secondary partitions of the Buffalo units a higher drive letter.  If I plug a second Buffalo unit in, the backup partition that had been G: becomes H:  If I unplug the Buffalo, the drive letter does not return to G:  This causes the backups to fail. 

I don't know if there is a way to "fix" this with the OS.  And, if I read the posts in this forum correctly, there is no way to remove the CD partitions of the Buffalo drives.  Looks like we'll have to find another solution and use the Buffalo units for something else.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »

My apologies but setting "static" drive letter assignments is something that could possibly be done by changing a setting within the registry or disk management.  The only thing that I could think of with the drive itself is adding/editing an autorun.ini file in the USB drives mounted disk partition. Unfortunately, there is no way to add this to the CDFS partition that mounts and as you stated it cannot be removed.  I'll look into a possible workaround and post back results if I find them, but if there's no news then it's bad news.

rodrigo

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »

comprei um hd drive station  cx1.0tu2 ,

mas preciso do drive para o windows server 2003 enterprise edition

ESTOU PRECISANDO DO DRIVENAVI.EXE PARA O WINDOWS SERVER ACIMA