Author Topic: Ministation TurboUSB - recovering encrypted files  (Read 2404 times)

rozapisces

• Calf
Ministation TurboUSB - recovering encrypted files
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:38:03 AM »

I hope someone could help me with this one - I had just purchased a Buffalo Ministation TurboUSB 320GB portable HDD (HD-PF320U2) had excidently encrypted some files without backing up and trying to recover these files. After formatting I have at my disposal 298GB space. I tried to recover using the Secure Lock Undo Encryption programme but to no avial. It keeps reformatting the drive but the balance of the 20GB is nowhere to be seen. When I go to properties it is stated there is 20GB of used space. How can i recover thse files or at least make my drive free to total back at 320GB?

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Ministation TurboUSB - recovering encrypted files
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »

If you encrypted the drive when those files were on the drive, they would have been erased. To free up all space on the drive, go into Computer Management (right click My Computer, Manage) and select Disk Management. Find the drive in the bottom right window pane, delete the partition, and create a new one.

The drive will not show up as exactly 320 GB because computers treat a gigabyte as 1024 megabytes, and hard drive manufacturers define a gigabyte as 1000 MB or 1,000,000,000 bytes, so your computer will show a smaller capacity for the drive than it says on the label.