Author Topic: Advice please....looking to purchase Network Storage  (Read 3193 times)

sobo1234

• Calf
Advice please....looking to purchase Network Storage
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

Hey All-

Please pardon my lack of technical skills, but I'm looking for some advice.

I have 2 computers in our house and currently use a Ximeta Netdisk for all my data storage- the only issue is that's it's only 120GB and it's set up so that it does not have an IP address- not to mention the fact that it's getting old (4 years old now) and I'm always on the hunt for the latest and greatest.  Since it does not have an IP address- my new PlayStation 3 can't recognize it and that takes away the ability for me to show pictures etc. from my PS3- 

So, I'm looking at the new Linkstation Mini 1 TB-  

LinkStation Mini™ - LS-WSXL/R1

However, the 1 review on Amazon is awful basically says that all his data was lost with this and to look in the forums for proof- I've done a quick look and didn't see anything.

Again, would love any feedback on this item....

Thanks so much!

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Advice please....looking to purchase Network Storage
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:28:14 AM »

Very solid unit.  For home use its the way to go. Here is the features.  What I like about it is the USB connection so you can backup to an external HD.  You can have security in knowing that you have multiple backups so there is no need to worry about data loss.

•  Compact Form Factor: Paired  with two 2.5” hard drives, the LinkStation Mini is the smallest NAS on  the market and fits in the palm of your hand

• RAID 0  and RAID 1 Support: Get maximum reliability with automatic data  mirroring in RAID 1 or maximum storage with two striped hard drives in  RAID 0
•  Near Silent Operation: Fanless design  ensures reliable, silent operation in noise-sensitive settings
•  Eco-Friendly Power Management: Power  Savings mode automatically powers the LinkStation Mini on and off with  your PC (requires installation of NAS Navigator)
• DLNA CERTIFIED™ and iTunes®  Servers: Stream content directly to any DLNA compatible media  player or use LinkStation Mini as content source from within your iTunes  application
•  BitTorrent® Client: Download digital  content over the Internet directly to your LinkStation Mini
• WebAccess: Share your photos, music, videos or data files with family, friends and  colleagues over the Internet with a standard browser or Apple iPhone®
•  Active Directory Support: Join to an  existing Active Directory Domain for Windows® user authentication and  folder level permissions
USB Port: Attach a printer to the  network, add a USB hard drive for additional storage or backup, or  connect to a UPS for shutdown management
•  Memeo® AutoBackup: Includes Memeo backup software for automatic backup from your PCs and  Macs (LifeAgent)
•  Time Machine® Support: Use the  LinkStation Mini with Time Machine backup
•  No Annual or Monthly Fees to use any  features or services, including Web Access with iPhone support, or to  add multiple users and groups
•  Free 24/7 Tech Support: US-based tech  support for life of the product

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »

Thanks for the advice- would love to hear from others....

So I'm guessing the comment that this guy lost all his data is unfounded?

Thanks

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:49:31 AM »

Any more thoughts on this unit???? Please....

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »

If it was up to me i wouldnt go for the mini, the main draw back being that if you get a HDD failure, although your data will be in safe if you have it in RAID1 you cannot open the casing in order to change the HDD, it would have to be RMA'ed.

Id go for the LS Duo, it has all the functionality of the Mini but you can change the HDD in the event of a failure.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »

awesome....thanks for the advice....so the only advantage to the mini is just that- that it's smaller-

The Duo has ALL the same functionality but HDD's can be replaced in the event of failure on the Duo, but not on the mini-

Did I get that right?

michiganian

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:30:35 AM »

You are right.

Both models have exactly same feature set. If you care easy hard drive replacement, take LS Duo!

southwood14

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:26 AM »

Have just  bought and installed a LinkStation Mini LS-WSX1.0TL/R1.

Easy to install. V impressed with functionality and performance. Has handled mutiple data transfer streams whilst moving data to the NAS.

I am accessing it from a wireless laptop and desktop PC. Also accessing data across the web to ensure data security rather than uploading data onto WWW servers somewhere. 

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 12:26:11 AM »

If you have any questions please feel free to post again.