Author Topic: HD-PXU2 and Win7 -- should I return it?  (Read 2185 times)

wowpow

• Calf
HD-PXU2 and Win7 -- should I return it?
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »

So, I picked up a 500GB verion of the MiniStation Metro (HD-PX500U2) having been sold on hardware encryption, rugged design, and generally favorable reviews. I plugged it into my Windows 7 laptop and the software is telling me that it doesn't support Windows 7! Really?! We're talking about a product released about half a year ago and it doesn't support Windows 7?!

Upon further investigation I found that Buffalo is releasing an updated version of the drive, HD-PXT500U2, with the same product name but different software suite compatible with Windows 7. I downloaded the new software, but it's locked from working with my drive, even though the hardware appears to be identical!

How do you justify dropping support for such a recent product? Do you realize that there are many of the units like mine in the retail channel and they are virtually indistinguishable from the new version save for a 1-letter difference in the model number? They are going to be bought and then returned by very unhappy customers for Windows 7 incompatibility ruining your brand name forever.

Are you going to release the new software for HD-PXU, or should I return my drive and steer wide and clear of Buffalo products from now on?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: HD-PXU2 and Win7 -- should I return it?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:23:35 AM »

The product itself while unencrypted should work with windows 7.  Unfortuntely the secure lockware software is not supported with windows 7 and most likely there will not be any updates for this software.

pycxe-01

• Calf
Re: HD-PXU2 and Win7 -- should I return it?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 12:29:33 AM »

I am currently considering purchasing a HD-PX500U2 and thus wonder if Windows 7 still lacks support for this product?

It's a choice between HD-PX500U2 & HD-PXT500U2 versions for me. However problem is that the latter version i.e. HD-PXT is not yet available in stores in the country of my residence i.e. Finland.

Therefore I'm ripped in two: Do I wait for HD-PXT500U2 to hit the markets here? Or should I buy a HD-PX500U2 & accompanying software which may not fully support Windows 7? Please help!

Finally if I choose to wait for the latter models to reach Europe how long will it actually take?