Author Topic: TeraStation Live vs. LinkStation Quad  (Read 7809 times)

lmychajluk

• Calf
TeraStation Live vs. LinkStation Quad
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »
   I'm trying to figure out the differences (other than cosmetic) between these 2 devices. I understand the TS-Pro supports AD, etc..., but the featureset on the Quad and the Live don't seem to warrant the price difference between the 2 devices (I'm looking at the 4TB units).

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: TeraStation Live vs. LinkStation Quad
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
   Correct me if im wrong but i think the Quad is only being shipped with 1 HDD installed and if you want to increase the capacity you have to buy more drives! The quad will be basically the same as the LS live with bit torrent but with RAID capabilities. Includes Web access, ftp, media server, print server but no AD integration.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

lmychajluk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 01:23:07 PM »

According to the specs, it's 4 x 1TB drives:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-quad

It's almost 1/2 the price of the 4TB TSLive.

I don't think I really need the Active Directory support, but I would like the LinkStation to be accessible from (and through) a Win2k3 server. Ideally, I'd want to map a drive from the server to the LS, then share the mapped drive out via WebDAV from the server (so, basically, all the 'security' is handled via the share & IIS). If I understand correctly, AD support is really if you want to put file/folder-level permissions on the files stored on the LS (or TS) based on the Users/Groups in your AD, correct?

Or, I suppose if I want to use the 'native' Web access of the LS, I could just redirect URLs from my webserver (which is obviously visible to the inet). (With my current router config, I don't think I can route to 2 seperate webservers behind the firewall directly.)

Message Edited by lmychajluk on 11-24-2008 02:24 PM

lmychajluk

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »
   Bump. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »
Both of the TS live and the LS quad have comparable hardware, Buffalo is now gearing LS devices to home users and Terastations to business users. The software options with in the units are what make them different

BuffaloBrian

• BLBeta
  • <Insert car metaphor here>
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 03:54:43 PM »
   The LS Quad is going to have more features including BitTorrent client.  The hardware is very similar and performance should be the same.  The LS Quad is quite a bit smaller physically and runs much quieter.  I'd recommend the LS Quad since it's newer.

lmychajluk

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »

Thanks. The Quad is also cheaper, but what about any support for AD?

Though the unit is meant for home, I'm a computer guy by trade and do run my own Windows Domain. I'm not super concerned about security, but I would like to know of any limitations to the Quad that the LSPro might not have?

Edit - I just saw Matt's reply to the other thread. So, basically, no AD support on the Quad would mean that I'd have to set up and maintain a second set of users on the QUAD? Would it be possible to use the Quad in a DFS configuration from my Windows Server (so all access is through a Windows Share)?

Message Edited by lmychajluk on 12-04-2008 03:33 PM

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
The Quad will not support DFS as well

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »

If I understand correctly, AD support is really if you want to put file/folder-level permissions on the files stored on the LS (or TS) based on the Users/Groups in your AD, correct?

File and share-subfolder permissions are inherited from the parent share directory, and the access restrictions for the share are configured in the Shared Folder Setup sectin of web interface. AD support allows you to use the domain users and groups to set up shared folder permissions.