Author Topic: Drivestation NTFS NAS issues  (Read 11327 times)

Osotaino

• Calf
Re: Drivestation NTFS NAS issues
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 11:48:33 PM »

I followed the instructions provided here and it did not worked. 

But not to worry. after spending so much time on the phone with support. I just dumped the unit and got a maxtor one.  problem solved.  

dslinde

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »
   Was reading through the thread and I too have the same issues.  Did I read correctly that the OS for this drive is based on Linux?  And, that the issues with writing to this drive, after being formatted to NTFS, is due to limitations of Linux?  Then why not the option to format the drive to one of the very numerous formats that Linux handles natively, i.e. ext2fs, ext3, ReiserFS, etc...  That could be done through the web interface, and since it is supposed to be a NAS device, the type of file system should be transparent to the user.  Also, the ability to manage the drive through the web browser, other than what is there now, check the drive and format.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 06:12:42 AM »
Yes the operating kernel of these devices are Linux based and the data is written to a FAT32 filesystem to ensure maximum compatibility between Mac and PC users. Unfortunately, the format of these devices are not without their limitations and I understand your suggestions of formatting to a Linux based file system however then the compliant for a user to switch to USB and find "Where's my drive and why isn't it mounting" is a problem. It is a NAS and a USB device and hence the filesystem cannot be changed recklessly.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 06-20-2009 06:13 AM

European

• Tatanka
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »

I am using the HD-CE1.0TLU2 as a backup device for my LS-XHL. Because the LS-XHL is formatted using an EXT filesystem by default, and the HD-CE1.0TLU2 is formatted as FAT32, I ran into trouble backing up very large files. So I decided to reformat the HD-CE1.0TLU2 with an EXT filesystem.

I believe that there are EXT fs drivers for Windows so that I could access it by USB, but I have not tried it. Does the LAN function support EXT?

glentz

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

Group,

In LAN mode the flexnet can handle file sizes upto 127GB according to the manual. I have successfully copied files in the 5+GB range to the Flexnet while in LAN mode. So it appears FAT32 limits don't apply in LAN mode. However note that files >4gb that were copied to the flexnet while in lan mode won't be accesible via USB.

The one downfall to this is LAN mode takes at least 2x longer to move information onto or off of the drive compared to USB 2.0 mode. I also have networked/shared PC's (win9x and win xp's) and copying files from computer to computer over the same network is much faster compared to the flexnet or my older 120gb drivestation so I know my network is not at fault.

Someone also mentioned WD drives are used. Not always true, mine has a Samsung.

From the users manual

"With a LAN connection, the maximum file size is 127 GB. Files larger than 4
GB will not be accessable from the USB interface.

With a USB connection, the maximum file size is 4 GB."

Greg Lentz (Home user)

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »
You'll notice that if you transfer a file larger than 4 gb to the Flexnet in LAN mode, it will split the file into ~4GB chunks. This is due to the filesystem limitation. Trying to access files that have been split from USB will not work.

prometheus

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »

Hi Alan,

I have the same drive that you mention running on my work server win2003 (what Baffalo fail to mention to people when they install their untis) in reformatting the drive to NTFS from Fat32-there are files/folders preinstall on units (this is where the data needed to have install on laps/PC when first use). If you reformat drive brfore either saving these files/folders to flash drive or some other drive on local lap/PC-then they are wiped out. Also going to a newer laptop from older (if thisngs still work as normal when put BACK on older PC), the same version of Windows has to be the same down to the letter ( XP1, XP2 or XP3 and sor forth) if your new laptop is slightly different from what is on your older PC??/ the unit will not work (like trying to run your windows apps on a MAC-it won't work exactly the same). See I went from win serer 2003 to winXP2 sp3 and my unit stopped working when I put it on the XP2;sp3 PC, but works when I put back on the server 2003 PC. Even when you look at the box information about installing and compatability with XP,Vista, server 2003, it really isn't if going accross different platforms. Once you install on one platform, but later have to move to different one you would need to install all over again (providing the files/folder aren't wipe out when formatted to NTFS). Make since? just another POV