Author Topic: LS-CH500 transfer rate over a gigabit network and tuning tips?  (Read 4857 times)

Adorbnig

• Calf
LS-CH500 transfer rate over a gigabit network and tuning tips?
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »
   Hi, I have connected my LS-ch500 to my Gigabit network and get 66Mb/s (bits/sec) transfer rate. Can I get more and is there any tuning document I can use. I can get 200Mb/s between PC and would like to get close to this if possible.

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CH500 transfer rate over a gigabit network and tuning tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »
You can disable some of the features that you do not use, and make sure the firmware is up to date on the device.

Adorbnig

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »

Thanks, I am 1 level behind in SW and have all funtions off except for media server and FTP.

Before I do this I think I will Back to Back the LS to my PC on the Gigabit port to see what I will get as I know I can get 420Mb/s output from this point.

I have read on one supplier site that the disc will do 40 GB/s = 320Gb/s but I cannot find anywhere what I can get thru the Gigabit port. Has Buffalo released an benchmark/performance tests on this unit?

Adorbnig

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 05:00:37 AM »

Ok some results:

on the back to back gigabit connection to PC on version 1.02 and all functions except Media server switched off I still can only get a maximum of 56-66 Gbits/s

So is there anyone who can tell me if this is the transfer rate of the LS-CH500 because if it is then I cannot see how this unit can be a useful NAS on a Gigabit network?

Adorbnig

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:42:45 AM »

Here is a review of the old LS - improved performance but not great.

The LinkStation wrote large files to its disk at 11.19MB/s and read them back at 10.94MB/s. That's not the fastest we've seen, but it's reasonably quick. It was much slower when writing small files though, only managing a meagre 0.95MB/s, but was a bit quicker reading them at 2.16MB/s. While using the LinkStation to back up large files such as movies and Photoshop documents is feasible, backing up small files will be frustratingly slow.

Product Reviews
Removable Storage
Buffalo LinkStation Live 500GB  [Computer Buyer] COMPANY: Buffalo Technology PRICE: £215  inc VAT RATING: ISSUE: 193  DATE: Jun 07 LATEST PRICES: £103.80 (1 Retailers)    Verdict: The LinkStation Live has some unique network storage features, but not all of them actually work.

Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices are a convenient way of sharing lots of files between several computers on your network, but they can often be much more expensive than a USB external hard disk. Buffalo's 500GB LinkStation Live shows that this doesn't have to be the case - it only costs 46p per gigabyte, so it's an affordable way of adding lots of shared storage to your network.

The LinkStation's web management interface is easily accessible using the included setup utility. It's generally easy to follow, but the interface that ensures only approved users have access to certain shared folders could be much more straightforward. The LinkStation Live doesn't support Windows file attributes, so files marked

as read-only or hidden in Windows Explorer will become writable and visible when stored on the LinkStation.

The LinkStation wrote large files to its disk at 11.19MB/s and read them back at 10.94MB/s. That's not the fastest we've seen, but it's reasonably quick. It was much slower when writing small files though, only managing a meagre 0.95MB/s, but was a bit quicker reading them at 2.16MB/s. While using the LinkStation to back up large files such as movies and Photoshop documents is feasible, backing up small files will be frustratingly slow.

Buffalo claims the LinkStation can be used as an iTunes music server, but we were unable to play music stored on it with any version of iTunes from 4.9 up to 7.0.1. We were also unable to play music and video files stored on the device using three different UPnP network media players. Buffalo told us that only DLNA-certified players are supported, but the one we tried didn't work either. Thankfully, we had no trouble using the LinkStation Live as an FTP and USB disk server, although it would only recognise USB hard disks and not USB flash drives.

The LinkStation Live is affordable, spacious and is reasonably quick transferring large files, but since many of its features don't seem to work properly, it's not a particularly good buy.

By Alan Lu

SPECIFICATIONS:
500GB storage capacity 2x USB ports