Author Topic: Pre-Purchase Questions  (Read 3265 times)

JeffC

• Calf
Pre-Purchase Questions
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »

I'm trying to decide among 3 NAS units for file server-type usage, Buffalo Linkstation Live LS-CHL, MyBook World, and Iomega Storcenter single. A couple questions before I buy:

What kind of throughput will I get with the Linkstation Live LS-CHL? It will be connected thru a router with 1000 Mbps connections on both sides. Cnet says 25 Mbits/sec. The Iomega gets 36Mbits and the WD gets 22 Mbits.

Can I connect  a Fat32 or NTFS backup USB drive to the unit and have read and write capability?

Can I plug the RJ45 directly into a PC as can be done with both of the other drives?

For someone who is somewhat experienced at network setup is the drive difficult to install and configure?

Any other constructive info about these 3 NAS boxes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JeffC

caboche

• Calf
Re: Pre-Purchase Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »

Heelo JeffC,

I have bought the new LS LIVE CHL in order to backup my macbook on saturday.

I can give you a first feedback

"Can I plug the RJ45 directly into a PC as can be done with both of the other drives?"

It works with my my book, i have try the ls both with my router and plug directly with the Rj45 cable on the ethernet port of my macbook. It works without reconfiguring the LS.

"For someone who is somewhat experienced at network setup is the drive difficult to install and configure?"

It is very easy to install and configure. It's commes with a step by step install software.

All the differents entry of all the pages off the web administrator are explained through an inboard help.

The web admnistration is well made and easy to sept tup 

I have no experience with nas but in less then 25 minutes, my nas works (plug in my router, folder created, web access works ok) and i can access my nas throug the my mybook, the internet, an iphone etc.

I havent try to connect ą Fat32 backup usb drive, and i can't tell you more on throughput with the LS. My router given by my internet provider is only 100 Mbps and i haven't mesure the throught put when i plug it direcly on my macbook.

I hestiate with the WS MyBook World by it have not a good feedback here in France.

I come with the LS because of these Apple's friendly feature and because that buffalo products have a good geefback on the internet.

I hope that this line helps you.

Caboche 

sargepepper

• Calf
Re: Pre-Purchase Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »

Jeff hello,

Look through this forum and you will see that there are many reports of problems with the drives.  I have had mine (Llinkstation Pro Duo) become unresponsive all too frequently.  when it does, even the power button won't work.  I am forced to literally pull the plug, then power the unit back up. 

I have found more than one report of similar issues on this forum for various drive models.

If I had to choose now, I would not buy the buffalo drive. 

Hope this helps, and is not too late.