Author Topic: Nassvc.exe pegging processor  (Read 19939 times)

mpruger

• Calf
Nassvc.exe pegging processor
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
   The Nassvc.exe service is pegging my processor even when nothing is being copied to the hard drive.  Has anyone else experienced these issues and if so, is there a fix?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Nassvc.exe pegging processor
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:35:14 AM »
Depending on the model number of the unit, you most likely don't need it.

ewo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »

How do you know if my model needs it.

I am on my work network.

My Linkstation is on my home network.

Windows update is trying to download and my machine is on it's knees.

Same thing happened last time, though I do not understand the relationship.

Last time it took a day to download a simple security update.

JMRibault

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:36:44 AM »

I have the same issue, I killed the process and everything seems to work, I wish it did not do that though... Why do we NOT need a process that eats up 100% of the resources? Can I unregister the service without fear of loosing my back-ups?

roy

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »
   I recently purchased a Linkstation LSW2T and have the same problem: nassvc.exe is using up most of the CPU bandwidth for no reason, slowing down all other processes. I had to kill this process to make things work.

- Why does this process take over the CPU??

- How can I prevent this from happening?

Message Edited by roy on 08-16-2009 08:47 PM

MRSMITHTX

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »

What I`don't understand is why Buffalo would sponsor a forum platform and not monitor it or post a reply.

ie. We don't know, we are working on it, we have no clue, or we don't care, but silence for two years says we don't have any idea what is going on in this forum, it is just a wall to let our customers try to solve their own problems.

raket4u

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

I have a very simple program running in ubuntu which keep my Linkstation alive. Simply by sending a wake up ping now and then (every 5 sec, i think (it was my brother that made the scpript)). But it does not use much cpu power!

On my XP it takes up 50% of the CPU-usage!!

I aggre - Buffalo MUST do something about it! Come on - Buffalo!

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »

Nassvc.exe is the executable running for the NAS PM Service, which sends those WOL packets to the NAS device for the Auto power feature.

Without the service running, the Tera/Linkstation needs to be set to On or Manual, otherwise it will power down.

To disable it, go to Start->Run, type services.msc, hit OK. Find the NAS PM Service, right click, Properties. Set the Startup Type to Disabled, click the Stop button, and click OK.

Everyone with the CPU usage issue, try restarting the service, and updating the NASNavigator software to the latest version. It doesn't peg my CPU, and my computer's pretty darn old. Any relevant Event Log entries would be helpful too.

jav

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »

I've recently started having a problem with high cpu usage and one of the processes involved is nassvc.exe.  Since I now have my NAS set to be always on, my solution is going to be to unistall the Buffalo sw.

If that's not an option for you, then one additional thing you might consider/investigate is whether or not you have Norton Internet Security 2010 installed--I do and some of their processes are also showing very high processor usage.  Finally, I also recently installed Acronis True Image Home 2010--I don't think it's involved in this problem at the moment but I'll mention it since it's the most recent thing I've added to the mix.

Good luck,

James

parsobarus

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »

apparently this has never been fixed. I'm using v. 2.31 of NAS Navigator and have the same problem on my XP laptop. Setting the NAS to be on all the time does not fix the software problem, all it does is defeat the purpose of buying  a device that powers down to save energy.

So there is no fix to the problem it seems.

Model LS-XH1.0TL, Firmware 1.56

SamuelK

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:41 AM »

as Raket4u mentionned, the Auto power feature can easily be used without nassvc.exe, by running a script that send WoL packets every few seconds to the Nas.

It's not hard to make such a script (raket4u could maybe post the one he uses with ubuntu), but still hard for regular users.

Imagine

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »

I just updated my NASNAVI software and the firmware on my Linkstation for the first time in over a year and NOW I am getting the high cpu usage by nassvc.exe so I can assure people that updates do not help. I will try Colin137's suggesting of disabling the NAS PM service,

Imagine

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »

just rebooted -- so far so good but too early to tell for sure if the problem is cured.

neilh

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

Its been happening to me - I installed the latest sw, and I have the LinkStation turned off most of the time as it rattles.

parsobarus

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:19 AM »

I was going to try reinstalling NAS Navigator, but there isn't any way to download it. The problem seems to be that Buffalo removed downloads for the LS-XH1.0TL.

Since they require a serial number to download the software, and my serial number doesn't match with any of the available options, I can no longer download anything for my NAS. 

Model LS-XH1.0TL, Firmware 1.56