Author Topic: Failed to read NASNaviPreference.xml: Install application again  (Read 10450 times)

theives

• Calf

Hi,

I have a new linkstation duo 1TB  (LS-WX1.0TL/R1 - EU: Name= LS-WXL479) and have installed the Nas Navigator2 software but it just shows an error dialog which says:

Failed to read NASNaviPreference.xml.

Install application again.

I have used the versions of NAS Navigator 2 from:

The install CD in the Box

The info folder on the Linkstation itself and 2 separate download locations on the Buffalo website. Each time I get the same result.

I am able to use and configure the linkstation through it's web interface but can't use the NASNAvigator Software.

I have spoken to the UK tech support but Jerrard simply said that " It's the computer" because he couldn't replicate the problem. He then went on to say that I don't need to use NAS Navigator anyway as everything I need can be done through the web interface.

Background:

The NasNavi (downloaded) version shows as 2.2.2.1 in the properties:general tab and 2.22 in the properties:version tab.

The NASNaviPreference.xml_ file is in the C:\Program Files\Buffalo\NASNAVI folder with the NasNavi Exe. (note the file extension is ".xml_". (I tried changing it to plain ".xml" with no change to the problem)

There is only one windows login which has admin rights and no login screen. I am able to install and use all sorts of other software OK.

The folder has no read or write restrictions on it.

Post installation the NASNavigator icon shows on desktop and in Program files.

I un-installed the Nas Navigator between attempts to re-install it.

The box itself seems to be working fine as far as I have used it so far.

I turned the Firewall of on Windows and my router (Belkin n-Wireless) whilst installing and running the software..

I connect to the router via a cable with a second cable connecting the router to the Modem.

Firmware version: 1.24 (DTCP-IP:1.22-20100113) My computer is a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT816S OS is windows XP SP3: I have automatic updates on at 1 day interval so the OS should be smack up to date as of 12 March 2010.

The contents of the NASNaviPreference.xml_ file seem well formed and are (I changed the .xml_ to .xml to open it in explorer.)

NOTE: When I tried to submit this post the website application told me that the stuff below was "invalid HTML" and put all the stuff in red in as a header.

<script type="text/javascript">// // <![CDATA[ function f(e){ if (e.className=="ci"){if (e.children(0).innerText.indexOf("\n")>0) fix(e,"cb");} if (e.className=="di"){if (e.children(0).innerText.indexOf("\n")>0) fix(e,"db");} e.id=""; } function fix(e,cl){ e.className=cl; e.style.display="block"; j=e.parentElement.children(0); j.className="c"; k=j.children(0); k.style.visibility="visible"; k.href="#"; } function ch(e){ mark=e.children(0).children(0); if (mark.innerText=="+"){ mark.innerText="-"; for (var i=1;i<e.children.length;i++) e.children(i).style.display="block"; } else if (mark.innerText=="-"){ mark.innerText="+"; for (var i=1;i<e.children.length;i++) e.children(i).style.display="none"; }} function ch2(e){ mark=e.children(0).children(0); contents=e.children(1); if (mark.innerText=="+"){ mark.innerText="-"; if (contents.className=="db"||contents.className=="cb") contents.style.display="block"; else contents.style.display="inline"; } else if (mark.innerText=="-"){ mark.innerText="+"; contents.style.display="none"; }} function cl(){ e=window.event.srcElement; if (e.className!="c"){e=e.parentElement;if (e.className!="c"){return;}} e=e.parentElement; if (e.className=="e") ch(e); if (e.className=="k") ch2(e); } function ex(){} function h(){window.status=" ";} document.onclick=cl; // </script>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!DOCTYPE nasNaviPreference (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <nasNaviPreference>
- <OSList>
- <OS>
  <OSVersion>Windows98</OSVersion>
- <OSFunctionList>
  <OSFunction name="folderCombine" enable="no" />
  <OSFunction name="folderSync" enable="no" />
  <OSFunction name="update" enable="no" />
  </OSFunctionList>
  </OS>
- <OS>
  <OSVersion>Windows2000</OSVersion>
- <OSFunctionList>
  </OSFunctionList>
  </OS>
- <OS>
  <OSVersion>WindowsXP</OSVersion>
- <OSFunctionList>
  </OSFunctionList>
  </OS>
- <OS>
  <OSVersion>WindowsVista</OSVersion>
- <OSFunctionList>
  </OSFunctionList>
  </OS>
  </OSList>
  <defaultUpdateCheckURL />
  <RDPKickFileContent>full address:s:%s\n screen mode id:i:1\n desktopwidth:i:1024\n desktopheight:i:768\n session bpp:i:32\n disable wallpaper:i:0\n allow font smoothing:i:1\n allow desktop composition:i:1\n disable full window drag:i:0\n disable menu anims:i:0\n disable themes:i:0\n disable cursor setting:i:0\n</RDPKickFileContent>
  </nasNaviPreference>

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Failed to read NASNaviPreference.xml: Install application again
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »

How many different computers have you tried to install the nas navigator on?  Again the nas navi isn't needed for regular options.  You access the web gui with the ip address in a web browser, and then you take that ip address go to start run or search and put in\\ipofbuffalo ex \\192.168.1.5 press enter, right click on any folders you want to have simple access to and select map network drive, then give it a drive letter.  You can use your buffalo without the nas navigator.

GrizzlyAK

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

I don't know if you've fixed this or not since it's been a while, but I just bought a WS-WV4.0TL/R1 and had exactly the same problem. Installation appeared to go as planned, but there was no icon on the desktop to run the program. Finally found the program under C:\Program Files\Buffalo and ran it, but got the same error regarding the missing preference file. On the tiny USB drive that came with my drive with the SW on it, I found a folder at TeraNavi\tool\NASNavi2\EN that (apparently) has the files the nstallation program copies to Program Files\Buffalo, sans two .xml_ files. I simply copied those files to my Program Files\Buffalo folder and the NasNavi2.exe file ran without error and appears to be working fine. From there, you can create a desktop icon, or put one in your start menu yourself like I did. For such a simple installation, this should have been completely painless. Hope this helps someone else.

As an afterthought, having someone tell you that you really don't need the program anyway (i.e., to use the web interface) instead of fixing it is NOT the right response, IMHO.

KieranG

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:15:19 PM »

I have exactly the same issue and exactly the same poor response from buffalo tech support.

I'm 20 years in the IT industry and I still can't get the thing to work as it should.

I really disappointed in the product, software and support provided.

At this stage I have nearly given up ... I haven't used my Links station for over 6 month now.

Can any one advise how to fix this issue ?   please .........

theives

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

I never did solve the problem but did use the Ip address/web server method instead.

Then the NAS drive failed catastrophically. The server failed and took down the file/folder system. It cost me £200 to salavage my data and most IT shops I contacted wouldn't touch a NAS/RAID drive. Because the file system was corrupted all I got back for each file was the file type with a numerical name assigned to it. Not only that but every intermediate save of photos I had edited was recovered as well as deleted files look the same as valid ones when the file system is lost. That adds up to nearly a Terabyte of data of which <20% was the file I really wanted.

Will I buy another buffalo.... no.

good luck

Fips

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 03:22:26 AM »

Dear Buffalo Support Team,

I ran into exactly the same problem. Is this issue fixed in the mean time?

I know I don't need NASnavigator to use the my Linkstation.

But: Why do you then provide it in the first place - It feels strange. You buy a product, a component included is not working an then you are told you don't need that component?!

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Eleichstetten

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:21 PM »

Did have the same problem with Nas Navigator 2.43

Found an old version: 2.11 which does work without any problem.

chard2239

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 02:45:36 AM »

Hi Very new at the whole NAS thing but I think I've solved this one. Tried to reinstall Nasnavi2 first error message was "unable to load NasNavi2Res.dll". Second attempt got me "NasNaviPreference.xml" fail. Found the NasNavi2Res.dll in the software folder or disk and tried to register it, no joy. Then just copied it straight into the system 32 folder. Ran the nasvavi install exe again and eveything installed just fine. Repeat very new to this but I hope it helps someone.

DavidMac

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:50 AM »

I have had the same problem. Also found that there was no entry in the Add Remove Programs list, no icon in the start menu, but did find the BUFFALO folder in the Programs Files.  Try This. Make a directory in the "program files" called Buffalo. If its already there delete everything in it. Extract the zip file to this (don't use the default)and then run the NasNavi Inst.exe. All should be fine. I am running Xp home.