Author Topic: Upgrade Linkstation Quad 2TB with larger disks does not work  (Read 3971 times)

mrburns218

• Calf
Upgrade Linkstation Quad 2TB with larger disks does not work
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »

I recently bought the Linkstation Quad (FW 1.11) with 4x500GB drives pre-installed. For more than a week now, I’ve been trying to upgrade the drives to 1.5TB WD Caviar Greens (yes, I do understand that voids the warranty ...)

After figuring out that I cannot simply replace all disks at once, because there is boot information on the disks themselves (or something like that), I tried replacing them one by one. At first, I deleted the RAID5 because I thought the switching would be faster if there was no RAID to repair. Replacing drive 1 and 2 went fine, leaving the other slots with 500GB drives. But if I insert a third Caviar, the 6x red light comes on. No matter which slot and how the other drives are permutated.

Then I created the RAID5 again. Starting with only one Caviar and 3 small ones. Then from there I inserted a second Caviar for a small drive. Repair RAID, no problem. Then a third, again, no problem. Now I'm at No. 4 and again those darn 6 red flashes come on. The box is just dead as usual then, and I cannot do anything other than pull the plug.

What seems to be the problem?

I’ve seen a number of forum entries that seem to have similar problems upgrading and some where it worked. However, no one has mentioned my particular problem. I read something about TFTP, but I don’t understand how this would help because the box is simply dead once the red lights come on. It is not recognized on the network (presumably because it does not continue to boot up), so I fail to understand how this would help me to get the new drives running.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, as I’m soon ready to kick this box out and switch it for a product that allows me to use whatever disks I want without voiding the warranty.

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
Re: Upgrade Linkstation Quad 2TB with larger disks does not work
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:15 AM »

Linkstation Quad (FW 1.11) not support WD Caviar Greens 1.5, 2TB. (Can use in tray 1 only) :manmad:

I use Seagate Baracuda work fine.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/HDD-compatible-with-LS-QL-F-W-1-11/td-p/26914

mrburns218

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »

Thaitawat,

I appreciate the fast response. From your link I infer that the Caviar Green did only work when you inserted it in tray 1 but in none of the other ones. Is that correct?

I seem to be able to insert them in any slot as long as there is still one or two of the small drives in the box.

This seems rather random and does not necessarily say that the Caviar is incompatible. After all, 3 Caviars and one small HDD (Hitachi) would work.

Do other people have similar issues?

Thaitawat

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »

I progress, finally I can get my station up and running with 4*1.5 Caviars To in RAID 5, everything looks OK, But when I reboot the station I get led flashing 6 times again; “Disk not recognized", and I have to boot using TFT boot procedure it again, ?

When we change to use Seagate it work fine.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »

Just as a reminder that this is not supported.

polygaryd

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »

I am Having the same issue as you with wd black's not greens in 2tb size sata 2 64mb cache. I didnt realize there was software on the disks to run the deivce because imo thats retarded for this very reason among others. they should have it on a eeprom not the disk themselves. STUPID never the less here i am with no original disks cuz i sold them to 3 different people and 4 new wd black's 64mb cache sata 2 drives that light up green but then i get the 6x red flash of the power button. is there a way to get the kernel image back onto the drive as its included with the tftp server download.. i have the newest firmware ready to go on also. Obviously when i run tftp program it doesnt pull down the kernel and other file it wants to simply because its not there! please help

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »

Unfortunately if you have already tried the TFTP boot procedure then that is the only advise that we can offer on these boards.  Replacing the drives on this unit is definately not supported.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »

polygaryd wrote:

I am Having the same issue as you with wd black's not greens in 2tb size sata 2 64mb cache. I didnt realize there was software on the disks to run the deivce because imo thats retarded for this very reason among others. they should have it on a eeprom not the disk themselves. STUPID never the less here i am with no original disks cuz i sold them to 3 different people and 4 new wd black's 64mb cache sata 2 drives that light up green but then i get the 6x red flash of the power button. is there a way to get the kernel image back onto the drive as its included with the tftp server download.. i have the newest firmware ready to go on also. Obviously when i run tftp program it doesnt pull down the kernel and other file it wants to simply because its not there! please help

You call the way the unit handles the firmware stupid but in reality you are only having a problem because of what YOU did, the underlined sentence above is actually what is really stupid about this case, and your just looking to vent at someone for your mistake.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

kaiynne

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »

No he is actually right, placing the kernel on the drives is a recipe for disaster.  The only conceivable reason to do this would be to save $10 on parts...  I have done a bit of work on the qnap series of nas drives and so it never even occurred to me not to just take the drives out and put larger ones in...

I have fixed the issue now by running a tftp boot and force flashing the firmware but it took me 45 minutes to figure out what the actual issue was...

When I finally figured out that the NAS could not boot without the original drives I LOL'd so hard it was just ridiculous.

solarsails

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:35:21 AM »

Absolutely!  You took the words right out of my mouth.  EEPROM is good.  Talking about all of your eggs in 1 to 4 baskets.   Whoever thought of this design must have done so at 4AM, out of a dead sleep and straight to the development lab.  What a great idea.... NOT!

pwiecek

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

No, the actual reason is that they do not want you upgrading. They want to sell you a larger drive.

This is called "Allowing marketing to drive engineering decisions" and its a sign of future problems.