Author Topic: Suddenly cannot access Terrastation Live  (Read 5268 times)

Phil

• Calf
Suddenly cannot access Terrastation Live
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:52:49 AM »

Well one minute alls well and the next time I try accessing via html interface terrastation is dead....I physical checked and found the unit shut down on its own.  Unit model is HS-DH1.0TGL/R5AP

Have done some initial research and found one person having exactly the same issue I just encountered but with the Pro II product so I am copying it here:

My Terastation Pro has been working like a charm for about 8 months. Without having changed anything, this morning it did not register as a network drive and was not accessible via browser management. There is no obvious disk failure (all disk LEDs are green). The Terastation boots normally. The LCD does not show the firmware version but displays something like =========. I can ping the Terastation and it responds. The client utility shows me that the name of the station has been set back to TS-TGL-EM from the name I had given it. The client utility further shows me that the Terastation is not part of a workgroup (it was until yesterday) and has no firmware (it shows ----- where usually the firmware version is displayed). I can not access the Terastation via webbrowser. As the thing was packed with data ( approx 1.4 Gig) I would very much appreciate any advise on how I can access the unit. I have contacted Buffalo, and like all other vendors, they were of no help at all. I have a second Terastation and my idea was to simply put all 4 drives from the one into the other to at least have the possibility to backup the data to a file server. Will that work or am I going to ruin my second Terastation as well? Need HELP on this ASAP. Thanks so much, Soupy

Since then I have tried to connect to the terrastation directly via CAT 5 and setting the PC to static IP (I used 192.168.0.100) in same subnet range 255.255.255.0 & have also disabled Virus and Firewalls.....Still have no luck getting simple communication to work......

I have data I may loose here so I am beside myself and desparate for any help out of this mess......Will try a few more things but if anyone in a similar issue that found resolution from this forum can share I would be most greatful.......If I can connect to it I can obviously try the firmware updater with the debug option?

There is also the question why this product just stopped working after owning it for approx 10 months now??

Phil

• Calf
Re: Suddenly cannot access Terrastation Live
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:33:40 AM »

So to continue with this problem with a single CAT 5 cable connected the terrastation always displays the IP address 169.254.139.98 on its LCD front pannel.  This makes no sense to me........Terrastation otherwise seems to function normally, no error codes, LED failure indicators just the access LED lights blink from time to time.......

From the command line I try pinging  169.254.139.98 and I get destination host unreachable which would no doubt be the case Where does the terrastation get this bogus IP from especially when its original IP on the network was 192.168.0.7 assigned by DHCP gateway router??

Phil

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:22:22 AM »

Well seems to get worse....I decided to re-establish the initiial IP of 192.168.0.7 by placing back on the original network.  I then disconnected the terrastation and a PC set the PC to static IP 192.168.0.100 & 255.255.255.0.

Power on the unit and this time I get 2 sets of 6beeps with LCD indicating RAID Error E13 Array 1 error and OperationMode I12 Degrade Mode.......

At least I can try reference these error codes.........I repeated above but this time I enter new static IP on PC of 192.168.11.150 and 255.255.255.0..........powered on the unit......this time only difference is I get red LED light up on disk 2 as failed........

Well I hope I can get a RMA number.....because this initially now looks unrecoverable.....

Can anyone help on this?? 

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »

Flash the firmware on the unit then restructure the drive.  (assuming its in RAID)

you can down load the firmware from buffalotech.com

RickDeckard

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »

I am having the same problem with a TeraPro that Phil originally stated here.

What does 'flash the firmware' mean?   

akersa

• Calf
Re: Suddenly cannot access Terrastation Live (related)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »

I am running a Terrastation HD-H1.0TGL/R5

My story is similar to Phil's.  For 2 years, all is well. Now all of a sudden, I have intermittent trouble seeing the drives (my unit configured as 4 separate drives each mapped to separate Windows Drive) and was not accessible via browser management.

The problem seems to rectify itself after a minute or two and then craps out again.  I am unable to run backups since the drives "disappear" partly into the backup.

I did recently installThe Shield Deluxe 2009 virus / security protection, but when I disabled this, the symptoms were unchanged.

I will try to update the firmware (currently 1.12), but I'm not sure that is it.  Possibly WinXP Release 3?

Help!

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Suddenly cannot access Terrastation Live (related)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 11:47:39 AM »

how to force the firmware

Please follow the link above, this will not cause any data loss.